The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] LeBrun: Benning seeking a young top-9 forward for the Canucks

On 3/2/2021 at 10:32 AM, gurn said:

Clayton Keller 258 games, 60 goals 112 assists    172 points. @ $7,150,000 for 6 more seasons

Jake Virtanen 299 games  51 goals 45 assists        96 points @  $2,550,000 for 1 more season.

That seems like a huge overpayment for Keller...But, Jake is 2yrs older.  When Jake was 22yrs; 70gp-15-25pts.

Keller is 22yrs old;  24gp- 8-10-18pts (+60pts in 82gp)          Virtanen is 24yrs old; 23gp-3-0-3pts. 

Keller was a beast in last year's playoffs; 9gp -4-3-7pts        Virtanen in playoffs; 16gp-2-1-3pts.

I think that Keller's projection is much higher than Virtanens'.

• Cheers 2

3 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

That seems like a huge overpayment for Keller...But, Jake is 2yrs older.  When Jake was 22yrs; 70gp-15-25pts.

Keller is 22yrs old;  24gp- 8-10-18pts (+60pts in 82gp)          Virtanen is 24yrs old; 23gp-3-0-3pts. 

Keller was a beast in last year's playoffs; 9gp -4-3-7pts        Virtanen in playoffs; 16gp-2-1-3pts.

I think that Keller's projection is much higher than Virtanens'.

Keller had two game winners last year, none in the play offs

Jake had  6 and 1 in the play offs.

I'd take Keller at even money over Jake, but not for almost $4.6 mill extra.

2 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Does this description of his abilities sounds like "bust" to you?

An electric offensive presence on the ice, Casey Mittelstadt brings the complete package of speed, skill, and hockey sense. He competes hard with every shift, and has the dynamic puck skills to keep up with his creativity, which is a hallmark of his game. His awareness is all-encompassing, and he never puts his teammates in positions where their time and space will be bottlenecked. Bigger players don't phase him, as he thinks the game analytically and will find chinks in the opposition's armor on the fly. As a result, Mittelstadt is often seen forcing more complicated plays that the opposition won't be able to read in time. On top of all this, he can play a north-south game, and his transition game is already at an elite level. He's a complete player with the predatory instincts necessary to succeed as a consistent and, perhaps, dominant point producer at the next level. (Curtis Joe, EP 2016)

"2016"

I was simply asking the question as to why he'd be on the trade bait board and if he was heading for bust territory in Buffalo.

Well, here is my kick at this, for what it is worth............

I think we are set on the first 2 lines come the start of next year...........

My focus is on the 3rd line and a RHD

I don't think we make it this year, so I am all in on moving guys out that will not be here in 2 years

1. Sutter, Pearson, and Benn are all easy moves.................take picks and start building our pipeline again

2. UFA's Wennberg and Duclair will be up as UFA's again, and we should be all over them (they are semi young and would be great 3rd liners)

3. There are 3 RHD* in the first round, and  I want 1 if not 2

RHD ..........Brandt Clarke ranked around #6-8

RHD...........Corson Ceulmans ranked around #16-22

RHD...........Scott Morrow ranked around #28-32

IMO, our 3 young LHD will be staples for a long time...........get used to it! Now we have to build the right side the same way!

Next year go after forwards!

4. I am ok with moving Gaudette, but not just for the sake of it, it has to be to improve us, and I am ok with adding to do it.

LeBrun had better be wrong, because we need to take this carefully now, and I am not trusting Benning, other than to do our drafting.

3 RHD* explanation

This is the year, when we need to fill up our RHD, as we can bank on them taking 2 to 3 years to develop, which puts them right in, where our core competes for a top 10 position and a solid cup run. Forwards are just that little bit easier to work into the line up.

Nik Paul is a excellent target for the 3rd line, if the UFA signing do not work out.

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, here is my kick at this, for what it is worth............

I think we are set on the first 2 lines come the start of next year...........

My focus is on the 3rd line and a RHD

I don't think we make it this year, so I am all in on moving guys out that will not be here in 2 years

1. Sutter, Pearson, and Benn are all easy moves.................take picks and start building our pipeline again

2. UFA's Wennberg and Duclair will be up as UFA's again, and we should be all over them (they are semi young and would be great 3rd liners)

3. There are 3 RHD* in the first round, and  I want 1 if not 2

RHD ..........Brandt Clarke ranked around #6-8

RHD...........Corson Ceulmans ranked around #16-22

RHD...........Scott Morrow ranked around #28-32

IMO, our 3 young LHD will be staples for a long time...........get used to it! Now we have to build the right side the same way!

Next year go after forwards!

4. I am ok with moving Gaudette, but not just for the sake of it, it has to be to improve us, and I am ok with adding to do it.

LeBrun had better be wrong, because we need to take this carefully now, and I am not trusting Benning, other than to do our drafting.

3 RHD* explanation

This is the year, when we need to fill up our RHD, as we can bank on them taking 2 to 3 years to develop, which puts them right in, where our core competes for a top 10 position and a solid cup run. Forwards are just that little bit easier to work into the line up.

Nik Paul is a excellent target for the 3rd line, if the UFA signing do not work out.

I like the idea of picking up RHD in the 1st round as well, and depending where we land it might be BPA anyway.

I really want Benning to make a hard run at Lowry for our next 3C. Imagine 6'5" Lowry, 6'5" Zac M on our 3rd line and maybe teams staring down Tryamkin on the same shift. Me likey. Motte-Lowry-MacEwan would be fun to see.

We need more size and skill on our bottom 6 and to me Lowry would set us up nicely. I still think Beage has another good year in him too so our C depth would be set for a while with Miller/Petey, Bo, Lowry, Beagle. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I like the idea of picking up RHD in the 1st round as well, and depending where we land it might be BPA anyway.

I really want Benning to make a hard run at Lowry for our next 3C. Imagine 6'5" Lowry, 6'5" Zac M on our 3rd line and maybe teams staring down Tryamkin on the same shift. Me likey. Motte-Lowry-MacEwan would be fun to see.

We need more size and skill on our bottom 6 and to me Lowry would set us up nicely. I still think Beage has another good year in him too so our C depth would be set for a while with Miller/Petey, Bo, Lowry, Beagle. 

I definitely think there are some options out there, Jimmy

I like both Nick Paul and Lowry, it will be interesting to see what Lowry goes for

I am interested in why you think Lowry would play 3rd line, as I thought he played 4rth line in Winnipeg.....maybe I am wrong!, I do like the way he plays.

Could you imagine Paul/Lowry/McEwen coming at you! LOL and like you say, Tryamkin, if you get past them!

8 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I definitely think there are some options out there, Jimmy

I like both Nick Paul and Lowry, it will be interesting to see what Lowry goes for

I am interested in why you think Lowry would play 3rd line, as I thought he played 4rth line in Winnipeg.....maybe I am wrong!, I do like the way he plays.

Could you imagine Paul/Lowry/McEwen coming at you! LOL and like you say, Tryamkin, if you get past them!

isn't Thompson their 4C now? maybe I'm wrong, I thought he was mainly 3C now.

Just more of a fit for us as well, as a tough and fast 3rd line for us with Mac and Motte. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, gurn said:

Keller had two game winners last year, none in the play offs

Jake had  6 and 1 in the play offs.

I'd take Keller at even money over Jake, but not for almost $4.6 mill extra.

I'd have to see the 'game winners' in context.  The game winner in a 3-2 game would have more importance than the winner of a 7-2 win, would it not?

How many game winners has Keller or Virtanen this year?

I agree that Keller's cap appears to be too high.  I'm not sure what you mean by 'even $ over Jake?  Are you meaning double what Jake gets (+5m)?   Right now that seems fair, but for whatever reason, the Coyotes decided to go for the full meal deal of 8yrs.  Time will tell whether it was a good decision or not.

• Cheers 1

49 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

I'd have to see the 'game winners' in context.  The game winner in a 3-2 game would have more importance than the winner of a 7-2 win, would it not?

How many game winners has Keller or Virtanen this year?

I agree that Keller's cap appears to be too high.  I'm not sure what you mean by 'even $ over Jake?  Are you meaning double what Jake gets (+5m)?   Right now that seems fair, but for whatever reason, the Coyotes decided to go for the full meal deal of 8yrs.  Time will tell whether it was a good decision or not.

If both are paid the same go with Keller.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Gadjovich   Lowry   MacEwen

Tryamkin   Myers 

We have guys in the system just get rid of the vets and get picks or prospects. 
play this season out

let the new GM sort out the mess Jbs made.

only guys Jim should be allowed to trade 

Myers

AR

sutter

Beagle 

benn

LE 

Sven 

Pearson if the return is good another wise resign him and maybe don’t wait till you “ run out of time” 

no picks leaving either 

Then fire Benning at seasons end. 

11 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Lowry should be the TOP target in ufa. I would go as high as 3.5-3.75 over 4 years. I really think he would change the dynamic of our bottom 6 and make us a hell of a lot harder to play against. We need more edge in our bottom 6, greasy goals, good on the walls and making it hard on top players. The best 3rd line we've had in recent memory was the Torres-Malhotra-Hansen line. What a great role line. Hits, pissing off the opposition, chipping in with timely goals and good two way play. We need this in the worst way. 

Having Petey, Bo and Lowry provides great depth down the middle for quite a while. 

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, KKnight said:

Lowry should be the TOP target in ufa. I would go as high as 3.5-3.75 over 4 years. I really think he would change the dynamic of our bottom 6 and make us a hell of a lot harder to play against. We need more edge in our bottom 6, greasy goals, good on the walls and making it hard on top players. The best 3rd line we've had in recent memory was the Torres-Malhotra-Hansen line. What a great role line. Hits, pissing off the opposition, chipping in with timely goals and good two way play. We need this in the worst way. 

Having Petey, Bo and Lowry provides great depth down the middle for quite a while. 

He is a UFA, so you have to overpay by a lot to get him here.

In the 3C role you also need some scoring in my opinion.  A guy more like Tierney in that spot works.... he is more akin to the Malhotra spot that you mentioned.

Save the big mean size for the 4th line.  I don’t want to pay that kind of money just for some physicality at centre.  You can get big mean wingers for league minimum.

Edited by Provost

25 minutes ago, Provost said:

In the 3C role you also need some scoring in my opinion.  A guy more like Tierney in that spot works.... he is more akin to the Malhotra spot that you mentioned.

Save the big mean size for the 4th line.  I don’t want to pay that kind of money just for some physicality at centre.  You can get big mean wingers for league minimum.

but you need players like him with size and skill to survive a long playoff run, think us vs Vegas - if we had Lowry do we have a better chance of taking that series? I'd say we do. Its not all on him of course but we're still too small of a team and if you can combine that with defensive skill and some offence (he has put in 15 goals before) to me he's the right fit, vs. just paying for more plugs with size. I think he brings more than just physical play.

Tierney also isn't available. Jimbo has to work with what's potentially available and to me Lowry fills more than one need. 

Looking at the list of UFA C's he'd be my top wish list for Jim to go after: https://www.capfriendly.com/browse/free-agents/2022/points/all/center/ufa

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Lowry currently has more points than Tierney in less games.  He's bigger, meaner, more physical and can drop the gloves with actual heavyweights.  He beat up Nurse and fought Reaves to a draw.  We don't currently have anyone that can fight a Reaves and survive to tell about it.

Tierney isn't even available and if he was he's cost assets.  Lowry would be free.  You'd have to overpay to get him but Benning needs to take a risk here.  Most of the bad contracts will be off the books by end of next year so it may be worth it to overpay for a guy that fills a huge need on the team.  Lowry could take over at 4C in a couple years when Beagle is gone as well, so as he gets older he can transition to the 4th line.  

Sure you can get big mean wingers for league minimum.  But is a Matt Martin really going to help you in the playoffs?  Lowry can actually take draws and is good defensively and can still skate well for a big man.  He'd be a perfect fit in Vancouver.

• Cheers 2

Am I missing something about Lowry? Yeah he's big, tough, and he'll be 28 this month, but he's also capped out at 15g and 29 points playing for a pretty talented 16/17 Jets team.. 

Two of his last three seasons he's also played 45 and 49 games respectively. And I mean, we've had people fuss about Sutter's inability to stay healthy, do we really wanna give Lowry between 3.5-4m? Is he the guy who plays most of the season or is he a guy who gets hurt? If he truly is a more defensive center he'll probably have other suitors. Won't come cheap. 

Edited by Coconuts

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Am I missing something about Lowry? Yeah he's big, tough, and he'll be 28 this month, but he's also capped out at 15g and 29 points playing for a pretty talented 16/17 Jets team.. 

Two of his last three seasons he's also played 45 and 49 games respectively. And I mean, we've had people fuss about Sutter's inability to stay healthy, do we really wanna give Lowry between 3.5-4m? Is he the guy who plays most of the season or is he a guy who gets hurt? If he truly is a more defensive center he'll probably have other suitors. Won't come cheap. 

I would.... but of course I could be wrong. I just don't see how we make it out of the West without guys like him with a combo of size and skill. I also don't see much in the UFA class that would bring that for us, unless I'm missing someone. 

• Upvote 1