The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] LeBrun: Benning seeking a young top-9 forward for the Canucks

32 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

It has made me curious why both JV and Gaud have fallen off a cliff at the same time.  36 pts Virt last year. 33 points Gaud last year. Gaud played Centre last year.

Both had a poor playoffs.  Then both completely disappear this year.

I don't get it.  I am asking if anyone has heard anything about coaching with these guys this year.  Is there a reason why two up and coming players have completely evaporated.  i mean when does this happen 36 and 33 points down to 2 and 1 point.  I cant remember that happening to two players at the same time without any explanation.

WTF?

Maybe they just aren't as good as you think or would like to think them to be.

1 minute ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

Yes, it is a possible answer and for some reason you can't seem to accept it. 

Consistency is something that makes a player a "good player". Something these two are lacking at the moment.

36 and 33 points last year and 2 and 1 this year.  ya.  They just aren't good players.  Nothing to do with circumstances this year at all.

Partner I'm gonna stop this with you now.  Enjoy the game.

Just now, fanfor42 said:

36 and 33 points last year and 2 and 1 this year.  ya.  They just aren't good players.  Nothing to do with circumstances this year at all.

Partner I'm gonna stop this with you now.  Enjoy the game.

Ok? 36 and 33 to 2 and 1. What's your point?

Boeser is on pace for a career year stats wise and Petey is starting to look like Petey again. 

Just FYI, there is something called holding the players accountable in professional sports and you don't seem to understand.

Jake and his saga of consistency issues throughout the years isn't exactly something new either. 

But yeah, it would be best for you to stop. I hope you find an "answer" that you deem acceptable.

Yakov Trenin is under 25.  He plays centre.  He's Russian and can hang out with Podkolzin and Tryamkin.  He also knocked Chara to his knees with a right hand.  Nashville can have their pick of Gaudette or Virtanen.  Let's get the big Russian in Vancouver and his comrades will follow him in a few months...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Nah but maybe Gaud’s playing with Miller and Virtanen’s playing in the top 6 for a reason?

It’s a stretch but who knows.

ya, like if they both get a point tonight Jim can call up another GM and say they are point-a-game players over the last 24 hours

That'll get ther atenshun heay

55 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Wouldn't have happened 1-2 years ago but wonder if two struggling forwards could be exchanged

Gaudette + pick for Sissons?

Also makes Sutter expendable next year ; hometown center ; Nashville gets younger for their refresh ; Benning continues this ol' rebuild on the fly- whether or not we agree with it, probably is going to continue for now

If we trade with Nashville I want Jarnkrok -- young, cheap, Swiss army knife player who can play all 3 positions, also kills penalties and plays on the PP (he's got a lazer of a shot).  Our 3rd line needs a playmaker too and Calle's pretty good overall.  

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Yakov Trenin is under 25.  He plays centre.  He's Russian and can hang out with Podkolzin and Tryamkin.  He also knocked Chara to his knees with a right hand.  Nashville can have their pick of Gaudette or Virtanen.  Let's get the big Russian in Vancouver and his comrades will follow him in a few months...

Chara is 43 years old. Not that hard to do anymore XD.

I do like the Russian link.

I do wonder if the Canucks could pry Eeli Tolvanen away from Nashville. He's a guy that seems like he needs a change of scenery. Nashville and Vancouver feel like likely trading partners -- especially with there continued interest in Adam Gaudette.

• Like 1

I would take Gaud's hustle over Virtanen's any day. Gaudette has been very close to goals all season, great scoring chances that just haven't gone in. I think he has it in him to continue improving, where Virtanen will not get better in VAN.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

If we trade with Nashville I want Jarnkrok -- young, cheap, Swiss army knife player who can play all 3 positions, also kills penalties and plays on the PP (he's got a lazer of a shot).  Our 3rd line needs a playmaker too and Calle's pretty good overall.  

Jarnkrok - Sutter would be a great 2/3rds of a 3rd, I agree. Wonder if he's actually available

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

It has made me curious why both JV and Gaud have fallen off a cliff at the same time.  36 pts Virt last year. 33 points Gaud last year. Gaud played Centre last year.

Both had a poor playoffs.  Then both completely disappear this year.

I don't get it.  I am asking if anyone has heard anything about coaching with these guys this year.  Is there a reason why two up and coming players have completely evaporated.  i mean when does this happen 36 and 33 points down to 2 and 1 point.  I cant remember that happening to two players at the same time without any explanation.

WTF?

Jake didn’t actually have a good season last year.  If you look at the splits, it was really just an amazing small stretch in the middle of the season when Roussell came back from injury onto that line.  He had a few weeks almost a PPG pace.

February, March, and the playoffs were awful for him, and he came into last season in trouble day 1 of camp and didn’t pick it up until a couple months into the season... so it isn’t a matter of this season.  The small stretch of great play was the anomaly, and not the entire rest of his career, which has been pretty consistently sub par.  

I think folks ignoring the bulk of his play were setting themselves up for disappointment so looking for other, more exotic, explanations isn’t really necessary.

Gaudette has health problems, and also doesn’t have any long resume of success... players have career years and drop off to nothing all the time.  It is more usual than a player maintaining play consistently.

Edited by Provost
  • Upvote 1

Just now, Provost said:

Jake didn’t actually have a good season last year.  If you look at the splits, it was really just an amazing small stretch in the middle of the season when Roussell came back from injury onto that line.  He had a few weeks almost a PPG pace.

February, March, and the playoffs were awful for him, and he came into last season in trouble day 1 of camp and didn’t pick it up until a couple months into the season... so it isn’t a matter of this season.  The small stretch of great play was the anomaly, and not the entire rest of his career, which has been pretty consistently sub par.  

I think folks ignoring the bulk of his play were setting themselves up for disappointment so looking for other, more exotic, explanations isn’t really necessary.

I think folks ignoring the whole  point that two guys have both blown up at he same time.... isn't really necessary.

• Thanks 1