The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] LeBrun: Benning seeking a young top-9 forward for the Canucks

3 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

I think folks ignoring the whole  point that two guys have both blown up at he same time.... isn't really necessary.

It just isn’t unusual... I am not sure why the need to reach for explanations.

Go look at stats for most players... and they have wide variation from year to year... consistent performers are far rarer. 

If it was two guys who had been consistent performers for several years and then had a precipitous drop off at exactly the same time (and weren’t on the same line... so one player dragging down his linemates wasn’t an easy explanation).... then maybe sure, look for some less obvious explanation.  This isn’t that situation.

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

When is the trade deadline? I'm thinking it's going to be VERY quiet this year. 

Except for teams trying to unload a player they can't protect at the ED.  They'll be wanting to get something (likely a pic or prospect for the player).

It could be a windfall if the Nucks could pick up a good FW, if they decide only protect 6 they can add the new guy.

3 minutes ago, Provost said:

It just isn’t unusual... I am not sure why the need to reach for explanations.

Go look at stats for most players... and they have wide variation from year to year... consistent performers are far rarer. 

If it was two guys who had been consistent performers for several years and then had a precipitous drop off at exactly the same time (and weren’t on the same line... so one player dragging down his linemates wasn’t an easy explanation).... then maybe sure, look for some less obvious explanation.  This isn’t that situation.

JV 36 pts AG 33 pts last year.  JV 1 pt AG 2pts this year.

Ya that's not unusual at all on the same team in the same year when there are questions about the coach.  NOTHING TO SEE HERE? Lol.

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

It has made me curious why both JV and Gaud have fallen off a cliff at the same time.  36 pts Virt last year. 33 points Gaud last year. Gaud played Centre last year.

Both had a poor playoffs.  Then both completely disappear this year.

I don't get it.  I am asking if anyone has heard anything about coaching with these guys this year.  Is there a reason why two up and coming players have completely evaporated.  i mean when does this happen 36 and 33 points down to 2 and 1 point.  I cant remember that happening to two players at the same time without any explanation.

WTF?

Virtanen was even penned in to play on the 1st line or top 6. That lasted like.... 3 games. Green has done it wrong imo. Should have given Hoglander 3rd line minutes 10-11 minutes and slot Virtanen/Gaudette into top 6 at least for 15-20 games. But Green went all oh Hoglander is so coachable and just completely ignored the 2 players who has somewhat proven themselves over the last 3-4 years.

Back to the original topic. Benning trying to get a new toy again. I don't think adding another player is going to solve our problems. Our poor result is a team thing and the most obvious change we can make is the coach. 

Edited by Drakrami
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

It has made me curious why both JV and Gaud have fallen off a cliff at the same time.  36 pts Virt last year. 33 points Gaud last year. Gaud played Centre last year.

I don't get it.  I am asking if anyone has heard anything about coaching with these guys this year.  Is there a reason why two up and coming players have completely evaporated.  i mean when does this happen 36 and 33 points down to 2 and 1 point.  I cant remember that happening to two players at the same time without any explanation.

WTF?

Yeah there is an explanation.  JV isn't getting his lucky bounces off of his shot among other things  and AG just isn't finishing his chances.  

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

JV 36 pts AG 33 pts last year.  JV 1 pt AG 2pts this year.

Ya that's not unusual at all on the same team in the same year when there are questions about the coach.  NOTHING TO SEE HERE? Lol.

Oh sorry... I thought you were actually honestly trying to figure out an explanation.

I didn’t realize that you had decided that Green is a terrible coach, and are just looking for numbers or reasons to back that up.

My mistake.

Yes, the coach that had them last year when they had their success, and had the team putting in a consistent left of hard work and effort each night (as remarked by many opposing coaches)... he just forgot how to do all that over the break since the playoffs. It is all on him and nothing to do with the very useful players that left, and the fact almost every player had a career year last year and it was inevitable for some of them to step back from that.

Edited by Provost
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, fanfor42 said:

WTF?

It could be covid fatigue related to be honest.    These guys appear to be quite social.  Ditto for JT Miller and Nate Schmidt, and these guys haven't looked like their usual selves either.   I'm not going to say that this IS "covid fatigue" related, but I wouldn't rule it out either.  Not all of us have the focus of a Bo Horvat or Jonathan Toews.    

16 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Lebrun:

- Benning has contacted every single NHL team over the past two weeks

- Seeking a top-9 forward under 25 years old

Source: https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/video/~2148491

Surprised Aquaman would let him

He said the exact same thing last February and got that guy

I think He will run out of time again, only on him staying here this time :)

Getting tired of mortgaging the future for now with high cap and letting players walk for free after you do that, when we need a lot more cheaper skilled youth coming back Think it is best we trade some players for protected ED 

No need to save JB job, when we simply are not good enough to win a cup this year with a top 6 forward at this time

Enough is enough of this failed vision

I want a team for the future, not mediocracy for now

Edited by ba;;isticsports

6 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Lebrun:

- Benning has contacted every single NHL team over the past two weeks

- Seeking a top-9 forward under 25 years old

Source: 

There is no " top 9". It's top 6, or bottom 6. Not setting a high bar is he ? A young player that doesn't play on the 4th line ? Lol

The third line is not a " top line ". 

Edited by cuporbust