The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] LeBrun: Benning seeking a young top-9 forward for the Canucks

1 minute ago, knucklehead91 said:

Im trying to not get you wrong.... but “gifted” is definitely wrong. Hogs EARNED his TOI and line combos.

He looked fine on the top line... 

Pearson, Virtanen should be traded. 

Some Utica players are excelling this year.

Clear cap. Prepare for draft and rfas

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
42 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Im trying to not get you wrong.... but “gifted” is definitely wrong. Hogs EARNED his TOI and line combos.

He was gifted those mins.......he's absolutely made the best of it, no question, bug he came in as a rookie and was given a top 6 role without ever having put in a single minute for the organization.  That's fact.

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

He was gifted those mins.......he's absolutely made the best of it, no question, bug he came in as a rookie and was given a top 6 role without ever having put in a single minute for the organization.  That's fact.

He isn't a bottom six player and was given the opportunity which he never relinquished, like others who were put in top 6 roles have

i think the point they were making is he wasn't kept there why not earning the spot, so it wasn't gifted, he proved he belonged there

Did EP start on 4th? these guys proved they belong there

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Max Domi is struggling and not fitting in with CBJ playing around 11 minutes a game. Has a 70 point season under his belt and plays with an edge. If he came cheap he might be worth a look.

Boy it's funny that Domi has been struggling since Montréal. I don't get it. He's had a change of scenery but still hasn't been able to get out of his "rut"? 

But then again, that head coach is a lunny bin sometimes (Torts). 

I wouldn't mind taking a flyer on Domi only if he came cheap. 

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

I was thinking of TB.  They have a lot of good FWs, (8 are signed above the $4.5 mark), which means they could lose one of: Johnson, Cirelli, Kilhorn, plus a bunch of RFAs including Mathieu (who is looks promising).

In the D department, they are also looking to possibly lose one of Cernak or Foote (both RDs).

I haven't looked at other teams, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of them are running into similar problems.

Cirelli and Cernak are part of their untouchables per McKenzie with Point, Kucherov, Hedman, Sergachev and Vasy.  Brisebois said that it never crossed his mind to move Cirelli, Cernak or Sergachev as they are just scratching the surface and they will need them if they want to win another Cup.  Others were apparently all being shopped this past off-season per McKenzie. They could go 4+4 to also protect Foote along their untouchables + Stamkos who has an NMC.  They might want to pay Seattle to take Johnson who they waived earlier this season.  

1 hour ago, Freeridebc said:

He looked fine on the top line... 

Pearson, Virtanen should be traded. 

Some Utica players are excelling this year.

Clear cap. Prepare for draft and rfas

I don't understand why people want to trade Virtanen now. His value is at an all-time low...we will probably have to give him away.

It's true, he needs a fresh start, but he may get that for us under a new coach. He's been playing for Green for YEARS (AHL & NHL), and has struggled for most of it. Maybe a new voice will help him improve, at least enough to make him a more valuable trade asset.

This season has been a mess. Trade Pearson, Sutter, and Benn (sooner the better, IMO), and try to give away Roussel (free player who doesn’t have to quarantine... maybe a team would bite to cover an injury). But I wouldn't sell low on any of the younger players. Wait to see how they perform under the next coach first.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
5 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd bet Jake would have just as many points as Hog if he had the same linemates and ice time as consistently as Hog has.  Don't get me wrong, I love Hogs, but he's been gifted a pretty sweet spot 

Please dont compare Jake to one of the only bright spots on this team

• Haha 1

Eichel scratched...

Bertuzzi from Detroit would be perfect but he's a key player for them, would be hard to pry.

Virtanen + Chatfield + Lind enough? 2nd rounder?

He's the player we wanted Virtanen to be but stronger and has proven surprisingly good hands.

Just now, DownUndaCanuck said:

Eichel scratched...

Bertuzzi from Detroit would be perfect but he's a key player for them, would be hard to pry.

Virtanen + Chatfield + Lind enough? 2nd rounder?

He's the player we wanted Virtanen to be but stronger and has proven surprisingly good hands.

Bertuzzi would be a beauty. No way Detroit trades him though 

6 minutes ago, D-Money said:

I don't understand why people want to trade Virtanen now. His value is at an all-time low...we will probably have to give him away.

It's true, he needs a fresh start, but he may get that for us under a new coach. He's been playing for Green for YEARS (AHL & NHL), and has struggled for most of it. Maybe a new voice will help him improve, at least enough to make him a more valuable trade asset.

This season has been a mess. Trade Pearson, Sutter, and Benn (sooner the better, IMO), and try to give away Roussel (free player who doesn’t have to quarantine... maybe a team would bite to cover an injury). But I wouldn't sell low on any of the younger players. Wait to see how they perform under the next coach first.

Well said. Green is flailing and has proven that he's struggling to keep the team competitive. I'd rather Benning not attempt to appease a coach who's run out of options by trading a player who could flourish under a better coach.

• Hydration 1
2 minutes ago, mll said:

Cirelli and Cernak are part of their untouchables per McKenzie with Point, Kucherov, Hedman, Sergachev and Vasy.  Brisebois said that it never crossed his mind to move Cirelli, Cernak or Sergachev as they are just scratching the surface and they will need them if they want to win another Cup.  Others were apparently all being shopped this past off-season per McKenzie. They could go 4+4 to also protect Foote along their untouchables + Stamkos who has an NMC.  They might want to pay Seattle to take Johnson who they waived earlier this season.  

This offseason Johnson and Palat’s NTCs become LNTCs with 20-team trade lists. And Killorn has a 16-team list. Between the 3 of them, they should have no trouble moving some cap.

The expansion draft should be interesting though. I don’t see how they can protect Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev, Cernak, AND Foote. But they still have a number of prospects, and almost all their picks, so they can probably work out a deal with Seattle to take Johnson. Maybe they’ll also send Palat or Killorn, along with a pick and/or prospect.

23 minutes ago, D-Money said:

This offseason Johnson and Palat’s NTCs become LNTCs with 20-team trade lists. And Killorn has a 16-team list. Between the 3 of them, they should have no trouble moving some cap.

The expansion draft should be interesting though. I don’t see how they can protect Hedman, McDonagh, Sergachev, Cernak, AND Foote. But they still have a number of prospects, and almost all their picks, so they can probably work out a deal with Seattle to take Johnson. Maybe they’ll also send Palat or Killorn, along with a pick and/or prospect.

They were apparently trying to trade McDonagh.  He will be 32 and will still have 5 years left at 6.75M so they might not be all that worried about exposing him and prefer instead to protect the younger/cheaper D in Foote.

• Hydration 1
4 hours ago, stawns said:

How do we know, he never gets a chance for more than a period, regardless of how he plays.  Green has completely destroyed him and any confidence he ever had.

He was probably the best fwd for two periods last night, then gets put on the 4th line for the third.........for what reason?  He was all over the ice and had the only good scoring chances on the team.  Why would you punish him for that?

If Green doesn't go, Jake has to and some team is going to get a steal

green is a bad coach    jake should be playing top minutes with petey  but until green is fired hes gonna be 5-7 mins a night

• RoughGame 1
Just now, canuktravella said:

green is a bad coach    jake should be playing top minutes with petey  but until green is fired hes gonna be 5-7 mins a night

benning should fire coach and take over last part of yr 

6 hours ago, stawns said:

I'd bet Jake would have just as many points as Hog if he had the same linemates and ice time as consistently as Hog has.  Don't get me wrong, I love Hogs, but he's been gifted a pretty sweet spot 

lol.