The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] LeBrun: Benning seeking a young top-9 forward for the Canucks

11 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

with Sutter being the foundation the team is being or was being built around could it be shopping for players to help him out?

The painful part is that, based on the opinions of some posters on this forum... I can't be absolutely sure you are being sarcastic! 

::D

• Haha 1

Personally, I don't see the point on giving up on Gaud at this point. I honestly think it's a little silly even. Players should be allowed to have at least 1 bad season in their career. People are just overreacting to Gaud's current season. He could still easily turn things around.

Virtanen I could see the need to trade. We've given him a lot of time and he just hasn't become that top 6 forward we wanted. I could see him having a long career as a bottom 6 player though, just probably not with us as too many fans would be expecting him to be top 6 here and the complaining would just be non-stop. lol

So I'd be surprised if Gaud was traded, but wouldn't be surprised if Virtanen was traded.

Edited by The Lock
  • Upvote 2

If the real objective is to build the team around Petey, Hughes and Bo long term.... then logic tells me JB shouldn't waste time haggling.... Just get any assets so we can free up cap space by shipping out Virtanen, Sutter, Edler, Gaudette, etc....  Keep in mind Hughes and Petey are expecting BIG $ very soon!! I've already accepted this season is a write off...  Just wanna look forward to seeing Podz! 

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, mll said:

Cirelli and Cernak are part of their untouchables per McKenzie with Point, Kucherov, Hedman, Sergachev and Vasy.  Brisebois said that it never crossed his mind to move Cirelli, Cernak or Sergachev as they are just scratching the surface and they will need them if they want to win another Cup.  Others were apparently all being shopped this past off-season per McKenzie. They could go 4+4 to also protect Foote along their untouchables + Stamkos who has an NMC.  They might want to pay Seattle to take Johnson who they waived earlier this season.  

If they go 4+4 they will lose they will lose either Cirelli or Cernak.

Whatever way you look at it, Seattle will take one of Cirelli, Cernak, Foote, or maybe Mathieu(rfa).

1 hour ago, SergioMomesso said:

I hope FA does not sign off on any moves until the off-season. Unless it involves LE.

So don't move out our expiring contracts for assets? Jennifer Lawrence Reaction GIF

5 hours ago, higgyfan said:

I was thinking of TB.  They have a lot of good FWs, (8 are signed above the $4.5 mark), which means they could lose one of: Johnson, Cirelli, Kilhorn, plus a bunch of RFAs including Mathieu (who is looks promising).

In the D department, they are also looking to possibly lose one of Cernak or Foote (both RDs).

I haven't looked at other teams, but it wouldn't surprise me if some of them are running into similar problems.

I can see TBL protecting 8 skaters + 1 goalie. For example, protect: Hedman, Sergachev, Cernak, Foote, Stamkos, Point, Cirelli, Palat, Vasilevskiy

This leaves McDonagh, Gourde, Killorn and Volkov exposed. TBL will know they are losing one of these guys to Seattle, so they are not going to give McDonagh away to Canucks for a 4th pick just to lose Gourde to Seattle instead (i.e. they lose two players and only net a 4th rounder). Same goes for Colorado, Minnesota and Carolina.

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

I can see TBL protecting 8 skaters + 1 goalie. For example, protect: Hedman, Sergachev, Cernak, Foote, Stamkos, Point, Cirelli, Palat, Vasilevskiy

This leaves McDonagh, Gourde, Killorn and Volkov exposed. TBL will know they are losing one of these guys to Seattle, so they are not going to give McDonagh away to Canucks for a 4th pick just to lose Gourde to Seattle instead (i.e. they lose two players and only net a 4th rounder). Same goes for Colorado, Minnesota and Carolina.

need to bump one of those for Kucherov

• Hydration 2

Yeah he should trade for someone that’s needs protection in expansion draft. 

he should just do Vancouver a favour and quit. That’s the best and only move he could make to improve this club. 

it’s good that we are capped out makes it harder for him to screw this team up even more.

Edited by combover
4 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

When I hear "Benning looking for a Top 9 forward", That could be any kind of player, from Pettersson to Roussel.  He'll probably get another Roussel. 

As long as it's a cheaper cap hit Roussel with Roussel going back the other way

4 hours ago, higgyfan said:

If they go 4+4 they will lose they will lose either Cirelli or Cernak.

Whatever way you look at it, Seattle will take one of Cirelli, Cernak, Foote, or maybe Mathieu(rfa).

All their untouchables would be protected.  On D Cernak, Hedman, Sergachev and Foote.  At F Kucherov, Point, Cirelli and Stamkos.  

5 minutes ago, mll said:

All their untouchables would be protected.  On D Cernak, Hedman, Sergachev and Foote.  At F Kucherov, Point, Cirelli and Stamkos.  

... if that is how they go, Seattle can take one of their good cheap young players and then watch them squirm about how to shed around $12 million in salary they are above the cap.

That way Seattle can take a good young cheap player and then rip at least a 1st round pick from them to give them a little cap relief.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

... if that is how they go, Seattle can take one of their good cheap young players and then watch them squirm about how to shed around $12 million in salary they are above the cap.

That way Seattle can take a good young cheap player and then rip at least a 1st round pick from them to give them a little cap relief.

Not much different than this past off-season.  They caught a break with Kucherov going on LTIR.  They’ll have to find a way to shed cap but  expansion might be a way to do it if Seattle goes for one of their big contracts.  If not they’ll just have to make the trades they were able to avoid with the Kucherov injury.  Might be more expensive as some GMs were displeased they didn’t have to deal with their cap issues for this season.