The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] LeBrun: Benning seeking a young top-9 forward for the Canucks

5 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

When I hear "Benning looking for a Top 9 forward", That could be any kind of player, from Pettersson to Roussel.  He'll probably get another Roussel. 

i'ld like him to get laughton from philly he'ld be a good 3c and we could let sutter go. right now, who can 3c better than sutter?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

I don't understand why people want to trade Virtanen now. His value is at an all-time low...we will probably have to give him away.

It's true, he needs a fresh start, but he may get that for us under a new coach. He's been playing for Green for YEARS (AHL & NHL), and has struggled for most of it. Maybe a new voice will help him improve, at least enough to make him a more valuable trade asset.

This season has been a mess. Trade Pearson, Sutter, and Benn (sooner the better, IMO), and try to give away Roussel (free player who doesn’t have to quarantine... maybe a team would bite to cover an injury). But I wouldn't sell low on any of the younger players. Wait to see how they perform under the next coach first.

That's a very valid point. He's been the whipping boy since Utica

11 hours ago, stawns said:

How do we know, he never gets a chance for more than a period, regardless of how he plays.  Green has completely destroyed him and any confidence he ever had.

He was probably the best fwd for two periods last night, then gets put on the 4th line for the third.........for what reason?  He was all over the ice and had the only good scoring chances on the team.  Why would you punish him for that?

If Green doesn't go, Jake has to and some team is going to get a steal

Respectfully.

Wellwood on occasion would have amazing periods and games where we'd be amazed then...*poof* gone to the snack bar

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Michael Ferland is the top 9 forward that needs to be replaced asap, with him in the lineup this team would be over .500 imo.

I would trade Pearson to Ottawa to get Gudbranson back at this point, the team played alot bigger when he was here.

*Guddy is ufa at the end of this season.

Edited by Kelly Green
  • Cheers 1

9 hours ago, D-Money said:

I don't understand why people want to trade Virtanen now. His value is at an all-time low...we will probably have to give him away.

It's true, he needs a fresh start, but he may get that for us under a new coach. He's been playing for Green for YEARS (AHL & NHL), and has struggled for most of it. Maybe a new voice will help him improve, at least enough to make him a more valuable trade asset.

This season has been a mess. Trade Pearson, Sutter, and Benn (sooner the better, IMO), and try to give away Roussel (free player who doesn’t have to quarantine... maybe a team would bite to cover an injury). But I wouldn't sell low on any of the younger players. Wait to see how they perform under the next coach first.

Yeah. Trade away most of our veterans (the ones that have value - like the ones you've mentioned). Get picks, young players for them if possible. At the very least, get some more draft capital for the next GM to work with. Cause y'know, Benning and Co., aren't coming back. If they do come back, Francesco is more of an idiot than we all thought. 

According to TSN Insider Trading, the Kings are looking for a young Left handed d man and here is the quote:

"Names like Gabriel Vilardi, Quinton Byfield, Akil Thomas and Arthur Kaliyev are all believed to be in play as Blake is looking to pair someone up long-term with either Drew Doughty or Sean Walker."

There are some interesting names on that list but are we willing to part with Joulevi, Rathbone or Tryamkin for one of these players?

Screen Shot 2021-02-27 at 10.40.54 AM.png

2 hours ago, laddie said:

According to TSN Insider Trading, the Kings are looking for a young Left handed d man and here is the quote:

"Names like Gabriel Vilardi, Quinton Byfield, Akil Thomas and Arthur Kaliyev are all believed to be in play as Blake is looking to pair someone up long-term with either Drew Doughty or Sean Walker."

There are some interesting names on that list but are we willing to part with Joulevi, Rathbone or Tryamkin for one of these players?

In a heartbeat.

Just now, stawns said:

Hughes last year, no chance

HUghes this year, it's tempting

I know and I never thought I’d say that.

But if our draft position ends up the way it’s trending all of a sudden we have a chance at a big number one D like Owen Power.

All of a sudden or position of weakness would allow us to really beef up our top 6. Move Petey to wing and slot Byfield in at center. That’s the big center teams win cups with.

With Vilardi looking promising and Turcotte coming up maybe LA thinks they can afford to move him.

7 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Byfield could end up being a bust for all we know why you do that ?

Because we’ll never get a player of his caliber once he reaches his potential.

Its a gamble no doubt but that’s the cost to acquire a player like that. It would completely change the dynamic of our team.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

I know and I never thought I’d say that.

But if our draft position ends up the way it’s trending all of a sudden we have a chance at a big number one D like Owen Power.

All of a sudden or position of weakness would allow us to really beef up our top 6. Move Petey to wing and slot Byfield in at center. That’s the big center teams win cups with.

With Vilardi looking promising and Turcotte coming up maybe LA thinks they can afford to move him.

exactly.  I also think we're getting a good look at how good of a dman OJ might end up being.  Within 2 years I think he'll be the high minute man on d and the heir to Edler's role as the top LD who plays in every situation.  That gives JB some wiggle room

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

exactly.  I also think we're getting a good look at how good of a dman OJ might end up being.  Within 2 years I think he'll be the high minute man on d and the heir to Edler's role as the top LD who plays in every situation.  That gives JB some wiggle room

Definitely.

Podkolzin Byfield Pettersson

Hoglander Horvat Boeser 

Power Myers

Juolevi Schmidt

Rathbone Woo/Tryamkin

Just one of example of how we could completely change the dynamic of the team. It’s early on some of those players but it’s pretty obvious to see that on paper that’s a much bigger/heavier/harder team to play against.

Edited by DeNiro