The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Speculation] LeBrun: Benning seeking a young top-9 forward for the Canucks

15 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i'd like him to get laughton from philly he'ld be a good 3c and we could let sutter go. right now, who can 3c better than sutter?

All in on this with you, however, Laughton will be a UFA at the end of the season. If the Caqnucks did want to make a trade for him, as part of the deal I'd first want the Flyers to re-sign the guy to a contract which the Canucks could live with (3-4 years and as much as $2-2.5 million per?), and then bring him here. I'm also assuming that the Flyers will be upfront with Laughton letting him know that a trade is in the works prior to him signing.

Or, the Canucks can try their luck after the season is over.

regards,  G.

11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Because we’ll never get a player of his caliber once he reaches his potential.

Its a gamble no doubt but that’s the cost to acquire a player like that. It would completely change the dynamic of our team.

Yeah you guys do you. But it would be a gamble and you’d be trading potentially the best offensive defencemen in the league (already top5) Yeah I can handle some growing pains defensively 

• Cheers 1

Just now, DeNiro said:

Definitely.

Podkolzin Byfield Pettersson

Hoglander Horvat Boeser 

Power Myers

Juolevi Schmidt

Rathbone Woo/Tryamkin

Just one of example of how we could completely change the dynamic of the team. It’s early on some of those players but it’s pretty obvious to see that on paper that’s a much bigger/heavier/harder team to play against.

in a way, it was unfortunate that they overachieved last year as it gave the impression they were further along in the rebuild than they actually are and set up the fanbase for unrealistic expectations for this season.  However, it worked out well in the context of not having to give up a high pick for Miller.

I wonder if they couldpackage up mIller and Hughes for an even bigger deal with LA

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Yeah you guys do you. But it would be a gamble and you’d be trading potentially the best offensive defencemen in the league (already top5) Yeah I can handle some growing pains defensively 

it's a risk, for sure, but I think OJ willbe a more versatile, more valuable dman in a cpl years and that makes HUghes somewhat expendable and a pretty serious chip to play.

• Sad 1
  • RoughGame 1

23 hours ago, stawns said:

He was gifted those mins.......he's absolutely made the best of it, no question, bug he came in as a rookie and was given a top 6 role without ever having put in a single minute for the organization.  That's fact.

It's not. This is the pros, you're not gifted ice time, you earn it. Hogs got one scrimmage in the top 6 and that's all he needed to prove that he belonged there and he's fought for every inch of ice ever since. Jake's been given multiple looks in the top 6 and looked ok at times, but most of the time like he's been waiting for something. I actually quite liked Jake's last game and maybe the expectations are wrong because of his draft pedigree, but to compare JV and Hogs and argue that Hogs hasn't earned his ice time in comparison is just a bad take.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, Warhippy said:

Respectfully.

Wellwood on occasion would have amazing periods and games where we'd be amazed then...*poof* gone to the snack bar

True enough. Wellfed was sometimes a perfect example of a very good 3C (at faceoffs, checking, as well as chipping in some points). The rest of the time...

regards,  G.

Just now, J-P said:

It's not. This is the pros, you're not gifted ice time, you earn it. Hogs got one scrimmage in the top 6 and that's all he needed to prove that he belonged there and he's fought for every inch of ice ever since. Jake's been given multiple looks in the top 6 and looked ok at times, but most of the time like he's been waiting for something. I actually quite liked Jake's last game and maybe the expectations are wrong because of his draft pedigree, but to compare JV and Hogs and argue that Hogs hasn't earned his ice time in comparison is just a bad take.

well Jake has had two seasons of 20+ goal pace over 82, I'd say that's earning his chance wouldn't you?

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

it's a risk, for sure, but I think OJ willbe a more versatile, more valuable dman in a cpl years and that makes HUghes somewhat expendable and a pretty serious chip to play.

We’ll see, young player are young players thats the way I see it. Writing off 21 year old Quinn Hughes ain’t for me 

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, Devron44 said:

We’ll see, young player are young players thats the way I see it. Writing off 21 year old Quinn Hughes ain’t for me 

why do people think trading a player is "writing them off".  Other teams want good players not write offs.  If anything using him to get a player of Byfields calibre is a testament to how good QH is.  You certainly wouldn't be getting a QB for a Jett Woo

6 minutes ago, Gollumpus said:

True enough. Wellfed was sometimes a perfect example of a very good 3C (at faceoffs, checking, as well as chipping in some points). The rest of the time...

regards,  G.

He was so frustrating some times to watch :( 

Just now, stawns said:

why do people think trading a player is "writing them off".  Other teams want good players not write offs.  If anything using him to get a player of Byfields calibre is a testament to how good QH is.  You certainly wouldn't be getting a QB for a Jett Woo

Cause it is writing them off. It means you believe they can’t help your team win. It means your trading them out to either rebuild again or in you’re belief make yourself a better team.

• Upvote 1

Wait...are we seriously talking about trading a potential 21 year old norris calibre (at this point) defenseman for a literal nobody who just happened to be drafted high last year?

Man....coulda had Puljujarvi for Horvat too I guess....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

Canucks forward Brandon Sutter carries a $4.3 million salary cap, and even though his deal will be up after the season doesn’t have much trade value. At 50 percent retained he might have some value.

To maximize any assets gained at the trade deadline, Canucks GM Jim Benning is going to need to be creative. Creativity hasn’t been a management strength of the Canucks.:mellow:

2 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:

Canucks forward Brandon Sutter carries a $4.3 million salary cap, and even though his deal will be up after the season doesn’t have much trade value. At 50 percent retained he might have some value.

To maximize any assets gained at the trade deadline, Canucks GM Jim Benning is going to need to be creative. Creativity hasn’t been a management strength of the Canucks.:mellow:

If we're coughing up assets to move sutter in the year he's a ufa the management team needs to be shot

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

well Jake has had two seasons of 20+ goal pace over 82, I'd say that's earning his chance wouldn't you?

Not saying Jake's a bad player, but it's not all about points and also there's definitely a discussion to be had as to when he's gotten those goals/points, but let's just focus on the bottom line, regardless of linemates and points it's quite obvious that Hogs has played better overall compared to JV this season, or do you have another take? 

6 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Cause it is writing them off. It means you believe they can’t help your team win. It means your trading them out to either rebuild again or in you’re belief make yourself a better team.

that's not even remotely what it means and that pretty much sums up the problem with a good chunk of the fan base.