The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Linden. So...

Rate this topic

danjr

20 minutes ago, danjr said:

I am so curious what hindsight would be with Benning and Aquilini at this point.
Would dearly love to know Linden's true vision for how to go about the rebuild before he left.  At this point I feel we have stepped back from a few seasons ago even.
This team is utterly disgusting in every element on the ice.  There are few crisp passes.  Everyone is fumbling and fighting pucks.  Our tenders just aren't sharp even (well demmer is getting hotter).  Could his team building process have prevented, limited or negated this ineffective team?  

In my heart I think he had the right path, but everyone else wanted to choose a quicker more risky route.  That really looks like it's backfired at this point.  Sure we have some incredible pieces.  But if those pieces can't get you into the playoffs, how in the hell can you reach the ultimate goal?  Next year may be more of the same.

It sure feels that way but no. There are a lot of good pieces here. Few seasons ago, we didn't even have good pieces to ice an NHL team.

The problem that we have is fixable. We have been outplaying the opposition in many occasions but those mistakes under pressure have been killing us. You aren't going to win if you give up 4-5 breakaways/giveaway in front of your goal per game. It can be fixed but we need someone shrewd.

2 minutes ago, khay said:

It sure feels that way but no. There are a lot of good pieces here. Few seasons ago, we didn't even have good pieces to ice an NHL team.

The problem that we have is fixable. We have been outplaying the opposition in many occasions but those mistakes under pressure have been killing us. You aren't going to win if you give up 4-5 breakaways/giveaway in front of your goal per game. It can be fixed but we need someone shrewd.

The problems we have is not fixable since our roster is mediocre. Tell me what issues can be fixed with a bottom 6 forward lines that scores very little. Gaudette and virtanen are below average forwards. Sutter, Beagle and Roussel can only PK and provide zero offense. Then you have the rag tag AHL spare parts in Hawyrluk, Mckewan amd Baily and a boat anchor known as Ericksson. We make fun of Oilers depth but their depth is better than ours since Poolparty and Chiasson can still score some goals. Who scores on our bottom 6 aside from maybe Motte scoring occasional goals? Then we have to rely on a rookie who plays on the SECOND line to provide offense. Lets be real, our issues are not easily fixed. 

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 2

18 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

Did you even watch the game tonight? Grade A chances but that frickin' goalie was a stone wall..Can't blame the boys for this one.

We were average. Not good. Not bad. Average. I’m sorry but it’s because we were average that we couldn’t score on a good, not great, performance from Smith. 

22 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

The problems we have is not fixable since our roster is mediocre. Tell me what issues can be fixed with a bottom 6 forward lines that scores very little. Gaudette and virtanen are below average forwards. Sutter, Beagle and Roussel can only PK and provide zero offense. Then you have the rag tag AHL spare parts in Hawyrluk, Mckewan amd Baily and a boat anchor known as Ericksson. We make fun of Oilers depth but their depth is better than ours since Poolparty and Chiasson can still score some goals. Who scores on our bottom 6 aside from maybe Motte scoring occasional goals? Then we have to rely on a rookie who plays on the SECOND line to provide offense. Lets be real, our issues are not easily fixed. 

I didn't say that it can be fixed this season.

But it is easily fixable beyond this season. We just need someone smart that can identify the problems and make the right deals.

32 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I wish we had Linden

Could have been our Sakic for this rebuild. Linden was right about how we should not sign big name FAs as we werent ready yet. Linden was also right with regards to allowing our team accumulate picks instead of trading them for mediocre players or players that we dont even sign like Toffoli. They really screwed up the rebuild because with our scouting we would had even more prospects stepping in. Remember the 2nd and Madden that we gave up for 10 games of Toffoli? I mean if Benning knew we wouldnt be able to sign Toffoli why even trade for him? So many bonehead moves that were easily preventable.

The thing is, he didn't know that we wouldn't be able to sign Toffoli.

I mean, did you know COVID was coming?

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1

The years in between weren’t even close to this season btw.

Canucks have 18 points right now,

they had at least 22 points through their first 24 games each year from 1998 to 2020.

We have officially entered the "Worse than Messier" era

Edited by Mackcanuck
  • Haha 2
  • RoughGame 1

21 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

The years in between weren’t even close to this season btw.

Canucks have 18 points right now,

they had at least 22 points through their first 24 games each year from 1998 to 2020.

We have officially entered the "Worse than Messier" era

Difference in those two teams is at the start we more talent on paper then any teams before or since.   Yet it was like a hand grenade blew up our dressing room.   Messier was coming off two typical Messier seasons, one with 48 goals - both well over a PGP...

All he had to do was relent the leadership and differ to Linden, and that would have been a sick team - all our core was in their prime.   

Said  a week or two ago, that the way this season is going that it has a little Messier era vibe going on.   That era was all about grieving the losses ... going from a contender to a complete rebuild for zero reason other then bad management by the Orca group.    One of the reasons some fans hate the orca.   This one is something else entirely - covid - schedule - coaching - players - cap - management - all are in play. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

6 hours ago, Squamfan said:

image.png.3c99c847dd5b3fd61fed21ac477a3e34.png

Looking forward to a time when fans get the real skinny on what happened, and what the rift was.   Said family time etc...a lot of supposition that he did want to take more a traditional route that would require more time - and there is also talk about how he wanted to play the vets - JB the rookies BOTH ways too.   Not a lot of actual facts available just some tidbits to fill the void.   Always felt that he was used as a shield for the organization which is extremely shameful.   Would welcome him back anytime .... look at Smyl.   Still here. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 3

Every team struggles, no doubt about it. 

The problem is when you give up as many scoring opportunities going the other way. 

And that is ultimately due to the systems that’s employed right now.

Often times way too aggressive. 

Players are skating  out of position being too aggressive and too predictable and easy to defend.

But the kicker is that the so called high intensity performance that the current systems demands - over a 60 minute game-  is impossible to maintain and not suitable to the kind of players we have. 

Our defensive posture is literally chasing players back on breakaways or 2 vs1’s. 
Trending in the right direction. 

If they went with Linden over Dim Jim they still would've have Petey to build around.  Absolute terrible decision that has set this franchise back years, yet again.  

Time now for Ownership to sell the team, they made thier profit clearly that's the bottomline.  They can go on and on about being fans and wanting to bring a cup to Vancouver but it's clear they can't let people that know how to build a team play with thier toy.  And don't bring up 2011, let it go they didn't win.

I have officially checked out of this team, last night was the first time in a couple of years I chose not to watch.  This franchise is no longer worth my time.

3 hours ago, FaninMex said:

If we had... is fairy tales that can have whatever you dream up come true.

Linden's plan, whatever it was, would have had holes and mistakes that all of you would have ripped apart because that is what most in this thread do.

Damn the truth hurts. 

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

If they went with Linden over Dim Jim they still would've have Petey to build around.  Absolute terrible decision that has set this franchise back years, yet again.  

Time now for Ownership to sell the team, they made thier profit clearly that's the bottomline.  They can go on and on about being fans and wanting to bring a cup to Vancouver but it's clear they can't let people that know how to build a team play with thier toy.  And don't bring up 2011, let it go they didn't win.

I have officially checked out of this team, last night was the first time in a couple of years I chose not to watch.  This franchise is no longer worth my time.

Psst. Who hired Dim Jim? That's right. Linden. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Every team struggles, no doubt about it. 

The problem is when you give up as many scoring opportunities going the other way. 

And that is ultimately due to the systems that’s employed right now.

Often times way too aggressive. 

Players are skating  out of position being too aggressive and too predictable and easy to defend.

But the kicker is that the so called high intensity performance that the current systems demands - over a 60 minute game-  is impossible to maintain and not suitable to the kind of players we have. 

Our defensive posture is literally chasing players back on breakaways or 2 vs1’s. 
Trending in the right direction. 

Way too aggressive, and way too deep. I can't count how many times two forwards are behind the net especially on the power play. They are looking for the perfect shot. Just shoot. It's like the team doesn't want to score garbage goals. We don't have the type of team that can aggressively forecheck and score. We need a defensive system that can create a balanced attack, stop with the breakaways. And force the opposition to make shots that our goalies can stop.