The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Message to the Players

Rate this topic

*Buzzsaw*

43 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Screenshot_20210226-192235_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ffa9e4a52d7629874bfa6fe89927b38c.jpg

Benning's Canucks are starting to look like Chiarelli's Oilers - Vancouver Is Awesome https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/canucks-hockey/bennings-canucks-are-starting-to-look-like-chiarellis-oilers-3463476

Screenshot_20210226-191819_Chrome.thumb.jpg.6ae2a3708f29fb8963f3d5be07cf9bf4.jpg

Canucks’ bad contracts will come off the books a lot sooner than Edmonton’s bad contracts did.

We are more like the 2017 Avalanche, or the 2007-2008 Canucks.   October 2022 is likely when our 2008-2013 window will begin.

Take a look at capfriendly.com and see for yourself as to how things will play out.  Specifically, look at the 2022-2023 season.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

All of the bad/transitional contracts will be gone before October 2022.....which has been the  entire plan for a long time.

Am more worried about who Benning will target after all the "bad contracts" are off the cap. Will he target more washed up or overrated free agents and sign them to an Eriksson contract or has he learned his lesson? I just don't believe he can be the GM we need to build a legit cup contender. I rather have Jim Rutherford who has experience building a cup contender or even Gillis who actually took us to the game 7 of the cup finals. Problem with Benning is he can not identify good NHLers when he signs them to big contracts. We got here because of Benning mistakes, don't forget that. Benning having cap space could also be a bad thing too if he hasn't learned a lesson.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Am more worried about who Benning will target after all the "bad contracts" are off the cap. Will he target more washed up or overrated free agents and sign them to an Eriksson contract or has he learned his lesson? I just don't believe he can be the GM we need to build a legit cup contender. I rather have Jim Rutherford who has experience building a cup contender or even Gillis who actually took us to the game 7 of the cup finals. Problem with Benning is he can not identify good NHLers when he signs them to big contracts. We got here because of Benning mistakes, don't forget that. Benning having cap space could also be a bad thing too if he hasn't learned a lesson.

It’s a needless and unnecessary worry.   The reason why we won’t be overpaying vets as we were in the past is because....

1) We now have the veteran leadership within the organization (I.e. Horvat, Boeser, Miller, Schmidt, etc.)

2) With our assembled young nucleus, higher quality free agents will take a stronger look at Vancouver.

9 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

out of all the people that you could pick to say they had a terrible season, it had to be Hughes? the sophmore D man thats leading the NHL in points for defenseman? Yeah he might not be having a good defensive game now but who would with Jordie Benn as a partner when he had Tanev last season. Please lay off the smoke because Hughes has made the team more lethal offensively and I rather have Hughes than Sergachev because he is an offensive dynamo that just needs a defensive D man to back him up when he does his thing. Boeser and Hughes have been important for this team this season and without those 2, we would be the worst team in the league 10 games ago.

Hughes is having a bad year, no other way to put it.  

I don’t need to point out how many goals he’s responsible for. Sergachev has won a cup and is playing better then Hughes this year. 

My response was to the guy saying that we’ll be in cap hell. We won’t and Hughes deserves 5 mil/year which would still put him in elite D company. 

21 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Yeah because we haven't paid our stars yet.

Key word being ‘bad contracts’.   Pettersson and Hughes receiving bridge deals would be considered good contracts.  (Not entirely sure about EP actually since he might not be an RFA once a potential bridge deal of his finishes).

The Oilers handicapped themselves with bad contracts after they made the 2nd round while our bad contracts will all be off the books shortly after our having made the 2nd round. 

21 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

All of the bad/transitional contracts will be gone before October 2022.....which has been the  entire plan for a long time.

I love how some of you have this concrete idea of what is/was the plan

First it was "retool on the fly"

next "one more Kick at the cup for Hank n Danny"

then "rebuild" the dreaded R word

which "long time plan" are you referring to?

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Key word being ‘bad contracts’.   Pettersson and Hughes receiving bridge deals would be considered good contracts.  (Not entirely sure about EP actually since he might not be an RFA once a potential bridge deal of his finishes).

The Oilers handicapped themselves with bad contracts after they made the 2nd round while our bad contracts will all be off the books shortly after our having made the 2nd round. 

The Oilers 2nd round playoffs was in 2017 what bad contracts have they signed in the last 3 seasons that have “handicapped” them..?

21 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

The Oilers 2nd round playoffs was in 2017 what bad contracts have they signed in the last 3 seasons that have “handicapped” them..?

The Hall for Larsson deal was considered one of the worst deals in recent NHL memory.  Lucic fell off a cliff and I believe there was 1-2 other deals that I can’t think of.    Although McDavid and Drai are great players (Drai’s contract is a bargain), were Mac and Drai on ELC’s during their 2nd round appearance?

3 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

The Hall for Larsson deal was considered one of the worst deals in recent NHL memory.  Lucic fell off a cliff and I believe there was 1-2 other deals that I can’t think of.    Although McDavid and Drai are great players (Drai’s contract is a bargain), were Mac and Drai on ELC’s during their 2nd round appearance?

Hall for Larsson was in June of 2016 and Lucic was signed July 1st 2016. You honestly have some of the most uninformed worst posts on here man. I feel like you’ve only been watching hockey for a couple of years and you get all your info from CDC and Sportsnet Pacific.

Edited by GritGrinder
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Canucks’ bad contracts will come off the books a lot sooner than Edmonton’s bad contracts did.

We are more like the 2017 Avalanche, or the 2007-2008 Canucks.   October 2022 is likely when our 2008-2013 window will begin.

Take a look at capfriendly.com and see for yourself as to how things will play out.  Specifically, look at the 2022-2023 season.

Yes, the "bad contracts" will be replaced by "good contracts."  All that means is that the money paid to our bottom 6 and dead cap, will instead be paid to our stars.  My point is that it won't leave much money for depth.  The advantageous period of entry level deals for our best players is over.  Managing the cap can be done, teams do it.  Perhaps Benning can do that.  I haven't seen him show any ability to manage the cap.  Good players left because of our bad contracts and our two biggest stars aren't even getting paid yet.  I guess time will tell.  

Here's goals allowed the last 4 seasons combined. 

11.JPG.f8746cfaa93052a5c52a191815861ea1.JPG

One of these teams can play defense, and these stats are from a couple of seasons of prime Markstrom.  The Canucks could make big moves and turn into the Avalanche sure.. But it's a wild take, that the Canucks are more like the Avs than the Oilers right now. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, GritGrinder said:

Hall for Larsson was in June of 2016 and Lucic was signed July 1st 2016. You honestly have some of the most uninformed worst posts on here man. I feel like you’ve only been watching hockey for a couple of years and you get all your info from CDC and Sportsnet Pacific.

Well, I’m sorry you feel that way about my takes on here but what’s your theory as to why the Oilers haven’t been able to make the playoffs since then?   My theory is that Lucic REALLY nose-dived, along with the terrible Eberle for Strome deal.   Some guys that were expected to take the next step (Klefbom, JP, Talbot, etc.,) failed to do so.      

All I’m saying is this:  I don’t see our situation being analogous to the Oilers’.  I don’t see us missing the playoffs for another four years like the Oilers did because ALL/most of our “bad/transitional” contracts will be off the books before October 2022.    

Petey and Hughes will be extended, while Horvat, Miller, and Schmidt will still be on relatively cap friendly deals.  Boeser will hit RFA status but will still be a cost controlled asset, while guys like Pettersson, Hughes, Demko, Juolevi, Hoglander, and Podkolzin will be closer to their peak years.   

I am of the opinion that October 2022 will be the start of our real window but I’ll admit fault if this does not turn out to be the case.   And yes - I am of the opinion that this has been the plan for a long time.  The JT Miller deal was made for this very purpose.

On 2/26/2021 at 12:30 AM, DontMessMe said:

I think last year was a cinderella run. We over-performed. We werent even a playoff team. We were like a wild card team that sorta snuck into the playoffs. 

who got the team to buy into giving everything and over achieving? 

15 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

BELIEF. Maybe some of them knew they won't be here next year. Maybe they knew this was their best crack. 

maybe.... but my opinion on that maybe is bullsht, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out we have leaders to what will soon be one of the best teams in the league who are going to make a lot of people look reallyyyyy stupid and  have a extra helping of crow, you can't expect a "mostly" finished product to perform as if it was finished but appearantly there's some really boneheaded people expecting otherwise, why people are thinking that anything before 2 years is up will get us to the cup is... foolish..

the same fools who thought we got burned with JT Miller when in fact all we needed was a 2nd line player but he was/is better than that, now all we need is another top 6 since JV isn't working out but Podz will step in next season and then one more top 4 D and we're set..  

THEN we get to realistically judge what JB has built when that is done..  I guess that's too hard for some to fathom but that's on them... 

Edited by iceman64