The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Idea #1: Sell TP

Quick, before value is flushed down the loo.

Anywhere. Try to get a 2nd..2022, if necc. A 3rd & meh prospect, or 2 middlish picks would be worth settling on, as well.

If they were ever to pull a mid-season miracle-turnaround, it'll be pulled off by our talented youth. Give Pearson a hearty slap on the back(I'm sure the kids learned a bunch from the dude), & it's bon voyage. If Green pulls a miracle(to stay his termination), again, it'll be canny coaching with youth. Otherwise, he can guide this further into the ditch, & we pocket a tasty high pick.

Call up Baer. Allow this good bloke to play out his contract(likely last NHL one) with dignity. Never know..he might rediscover some magic w/ his buddy Bo.

**************** Sequencing this is key************* Prob I'd throw names like Benn & even Schmidt out there next. Perhaps Virt & Gaud last, if some of these vets collect us some picks.

They aren't stars, so it ain't really waving a white flag. But be aggressive(for once) & get to the front of the dealer's queue. Set up your shabby lil' 24/7 trade stand, & barter/haggle like it's the Istanbul carpet bazaar! Sell & pronto!

• Haha 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

What the Canucks should do at the trade deadline at this current trajectory (in my opinion):  

1) Do NOT lose their $&!#.   So many media members and fans are screaming to "blow it up" and that's just......shortsighted (to put it politely and mildly).   Rebuilds are never easy and take quite some time.   Don't believe me?   How many playoff series' has Calgary won since 2015?  What about the Oilers since their 2017 2nd round appearance?   What about the Winnipeg "You need an army!" Jets?   (and the model that Linden advocated).   Outside of that 3rd round appearance from a few years back, what have they done?   What about Toronto's "Shanaplan?"   Have they won a playoff series since "Shanaplan" took ever?   When was the last time they even won a playoff series?     The point I'm making is that we've assembled a solid young core here and a number of our 'transitional' contracts will be coming off the books this season and next.    October 1st 2022 is when our real window will begin..........now having said that:

2) Move Edler for a 1st round pick.   Make it known to Edler that the team doesn't have any plans to re-sign him in the off-season.

3) Pearson for a 2nd round pick.  

4) Sutter at 50% retention for a pick (4th?).   I'm not sure what would equate to fair value here.

5) Benn or Hamonic for a pick (not both, just one).   

End of the season = Replace Travis Green with Gerard Gallant.   

Draft Day:   I am of the opinion that our two 1sts should be used to acquire good young 3rd line players.   A 1st for Sam Bennet+, and a 1st for Jake Debrusk+.  

July 1st:   Sign Adam Larsson.  

Expansion draft:  Incentivize Seattle to take Tyler Myers if it helps us reduce cap space.   If moving Myers is not possible at ED, then use Virtanen as a sweetener to move Eriksson to clear cap space.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Podkolzin

Debrusk-Bennett-Gaudette (or Virtanen)

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Tryamkin-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers (or CheapVet)

• Vintage 2
  • RoughGame 1

9 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Quick, before value is flushed down the loo.

Anywhere. Try to get a 2nd..2022, if necc. A 3rd & meh prospect, or 2 middlish picks would be worth settling on, as well.

If they were ever to pull a mid-season miracle-turnaround, it'll be pulled off by our talented youth. Give Pearson a hearty slap on the back(I'm sure the kids learned a bunch from the dude), & it's bon voyage. If Green pulls a miracle(to stay his termination), again, it'll be canny coaching with youth. Otherwise, he can guide this further into the ditch, & we pocket a tasty high pick.

Call up Baer. Allow this good bloke to play out his contract(likely last NHL one) with dignity. Never know..he might rediscover some magic w/ his buddy Bo.

**************** Sequencing this is key************* Prob I'd throw names like Benn & even Schmidt out there next. Perhaps Virt & Gaud last, if some of these vets collect us some picks.

They aren't stars, so it ain't really waving a white flag. But be aggressive(for once) & get to the front of the dealer's queue. Set up your shabby lil' 24/7 trade stand, & barter/haggle like it's the Istanbul carpet bazaar! Sell & pronto!

I'm on board with moving TP, though I'd be fine bringing him back post-trade. Continuing to build our prospect pool while we've got JB around isn't a bad idea. 

I'd like to sign Benn to a 1-2 year extension and use him as the D we expose, he's serviceable depth if not taken. I'm not keen on moving Schmidt, he was a fantastic player in Vegas and he's actually looked pretty solid of late with Edler. Like other players, I feel he'd thrive under better coaching staff and playing better systems. Between Jake and Adam I'd keep Adam, I think he's got more to give. Jake might too, it's hard to say. It's not as if Jake's deal hurts us much. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Thanks 1

If we could get a 2022 2nd for Sutter from Edmonton I'd be happy. He'd be a great fit on their bottom 6.

Another 3rd for Pearson from AZ maybe?

Extend Hamonic for expansion, maybe get an additional 3rd for Benn.

Thats about the best we could do imo. 

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

What the Canucks should do at the trade deadline at this current trajectory (in my opinion):  

1) Do NOT lose their $&!#.   So many media members and fans are screaming to "blow it up" and that's just......shortsighted (to put it politely and mildly).   Rebuilds are never easy and take quite some time.   Don't believe me?   How many playoff series' has Calgary won since 2015?  What about the Oilers since their 2017 2nd round appearance?   What about the Winnipeg "You need an army!" Jets?   (and the model that Linden advocated).   Outside of that 3rd round appearance from a few years back, what have they done?   What about Toronto's "Shanaplan?"   Have they won a playoff series since "Shanaplan" took ever?   When was the last time they even won a playoff series?     The point I'm making is that we've assembled a solid young core here and a number of our 'transitional' contracts will be coming off the books this season and next.    October 1st 2022 is when our real window will begin..........now having said that:

2) Move Edler for a 1st round pick.   Make it known to Edler that the team doesn't have any plans to re-sign him in the off-season.

4) Sutter at 50% retention for a pick (4th?).   I'm not sure what would equate to fair value here.

Draft Day:   I am of the opinion that our two 1sts should be used to acquire good young 3rd line players.   A 1st for Sam Bennet+, and a 1st for Jake Debrusk+.  

Expansion draft:  Incentivize Seattle to take Tyler Myers if it helps us reduce cap space.   If moving Myers is not possible at ED, then use Virtanen as a sweetener to move Eriksson to clear cap space.

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Tryamkin-Schmidt

Not too shabby DIR. Agree w/you, we shouldn't be tossin' the baby with the bath water. It does take time & patience.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

If we could get a 2022 2nd for Sutter from Edmonton I'd be happy. He'd be a great fit on their bottom 6.

Problem is Edmonton's also up against the cap. It might work at the end of the season with Sutter but Sutter's contract is finished this year anyway.

Arizona maybe? But they're going through a rough time in the desert at the moment.

Cap issues. They suck and prevent a lot of things from happening. lol

• Vintage 1

28 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Not too shabby DIR. Agree w/you, we shouldn't be tossin' the baby with the bath water. It does take time & patience.

Thanks NuxFan,

I’m thinking about creating a thread later on which analyzes the current top teams in the NHL and how long it truly took for them to get into those spots.   I think it will be an interesting study and exercise and hope that people will come away with something.  

Im listening to these idiots of 650 Sportsnet, along with reading HF Canucks, and they’re pretty much acting like our 2nd round appearance from last season didn’t happen.  They seem to have this notion in their heads that progression is always linear.   

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Jack Fig said:

So this is what we're back to, huh? 

It’s not going “back” to anything.  Unlike previous years, Edler doesn’t have term on his contract and so he might be willing to waive this season IF it’s mentioned to him that the Canucks will not be bringing him back.   

Move Edler and sign Adam Larsson in the off-season as the new top pairing “defensive” guy.  Sign Tryamkin as well.

Hughes-Larsson

Tryamkin-Schmidt 

Juolevi-Myers

3 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Tryamkin-Schmidt

Edler is unlikely to waive in that scenario, I seriously believe he'd sooner retire than play elsewhere at this point in career. Particularly given his historical unwillingness to waive. His family, friends, and life are settled in Vancouver.

I also think that's an ugly way to try and force someone out, particularly a career Canuck who's shown nothing but a willingness to stay and play hard during this franchises ascent, fall, and gradual ascent. I don't think that'd reflect well in the eyes of many current and former players, as well as chunks of the fanbase. That's not how you reward loyalty.

Edited by Coconuts

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Pearson should be able to fetch a 2nd.  Sutter is probably the guy that gets you the 3rd if we’re lucky.

2 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

It’s not going “back” to anything.  Unlike previous years, Edler doesn’t have term on his contract and so he might be willing to waive this season IF it’s mentioned to him that the Canucks will not be bringing him back.   

Move Edler and sign Adam Larsson in the off-season as the new top pairing “defensive” guy.  Sign Tryamkin as well.

Hughes-Larsson

Tryamkin-Schmidt 

Juolevi-Myers

Who is their right mind is going to give a 1st for Edler?

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Edler is unlikely to waive in that scenario, I seriously believe he'd sooner retire than play elsewhere at this point in career. Particularly given his historical unwillingness to waive. His family, friends, and life are settled in Vancouver.

I also think that's an ugly way to try and force someone out, particularly a career Canuck who's shown nothing but a willingness to stay and play hard during this franchises ascent, fall, and gradual ascent. I don't think that'd reflect well in the eyes of many current and former players, as well as chunks of the fanbase. 

I don’t think it’s ugly at all.   It gives Edler a chance to go after a cup and it also allows Edler to give back to an organization that has given so much to him.  If Edler wants to re-sign in the off season, if the fit is there, he’d be more than welcome to.  Maybe that’s how the Canucks can position it to him.

Just now, DarkIndianRises said:

I don’t think it’s ugly at all.   It gives Edler a chance to go after a cup and it also allows Edler to give back to an organization that has given so much to him.  If Edler wants to re-sign in the off season, if the fit is there, he’d be more than welcome to.  Maybe that’s how the Canucks can position it to him.

Edler's already given back, each of his last two contracts have been less than market value. He easily could have gotten more elsewhere if he'd wanted to. 

And if Edler wanted to go win elsewhere this move would have been made years ago, which brings us back to his unwillingness to waive. Clearly he wants to be here. Trying to force a trade by telling him he's not part of our future plans is an ugly way of trying to force out a player who doesn't want to leave. 

1 minute ago, Jack Fig said:

Who is their right mind is going to give a 1st for Edler?

In a secondary role with less pressure, Edler Is the exact guy you want eating up minutes when the top pairing isn’t on.  Under the right circumstance and with protected ice time, he’s still an excellent all-situations defenseman.   

Teams go crazy at the deadline.   Didn’t Ryan Hartman get moved for a first a few years back?