Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

In a secondary role with less pressure, Edler Is the exact guy you want eating up minutes when the top pairing isn’t on.  Under the right circumstance and with protected ice time, he’s still an excellent all-situations defenseman.   
 

Teams go crazy at the deadline.   Didn’t Ryan Hartman get moved for a first a few years back?

Nonsense.

Nobody gives up a 1st for a player they feel compelled to 'protect the ice time' of. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

It’s not going “back” to anything.  Unlike previous years, Edler doesn’t have term on his contract and so he might be willing to waive this season IF it’s mentioned to him that the Canucks will not be bringing him back.   
 

Move Edler and sign Adam Larsson in the off-season as the new top pairing “defensive” guy.  Sign Tryamkin as well.

 

Hughes-Larsson

Tryamkin-Schmidt 

Juolevi-Myers

 

Edler's contract is up after this season, which you pointed out. But, even if he waived, he's not going to bring back a 1st round pick.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Try and move some bodies for picks..

 

Edler will not play anywhere else...Maybe he will sign deal like Chara did a few years ago 1yr X 1.1 million??

Sutter -- very good player for team pushing for playoff run-- A team will want him this year UFA in summer ---- --Late 3rd rounder --worst 4th rounder

Pearson  27 -- He is not getting it done playing on 2nd line --- Would not sign him for more then 2 million?  Trade for 3rd rounder

Roussel --- Trade for 4th rounder and retain 1 million...

 

Gaudette--- Would really like to see Gaudette have 8 game look on wing beside Horvat....Could be that top 6 winger we need?? He is a winger., good shot, talented...

 

Virtanen - 24 -- 6'1-- 220--- Must get a player back with upside under 26 years old...Jake will turn his career around with new team 20 goals - 45 point guy

Burakowsky - look at how he turned his career around with trade...  .Ritchie , now with Boston  ---Kase,  now with Boston

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jack Fig said:

Nonsense.

Nobody gives up a 1st for a player they feel compelled to 'protect the ice time' of. 

Protected in the sense that he won’t be forced to log first pairing minutes like he would have in say 2011.   However, as much as Edler has declined, he’s still the exact type of guy that you’d want on your 2nd pairing going up against secondary forwards (with good secondary forwards in front of him and a good partner beside him).   Edler should easily command a 1st from a top tier team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Edler's already given back, each of his last two contracts have been less than market value. He easily could have gotten more elsewhere if he'd wanted to. 

 

And if Edler wanted to go win elsewhere this move would have been made years ago, which brings us back to his unwillingness to waive. Clearly he wants to be here. Trying to force a trade by telling him he's not part of our future plans is an ugly way of trying to force out a player who doesn't want to leave. 

Hockey is a business.   Sparing hurt feelings aside, keeping a healthy pipeline of picks and prospects should be the goal of every GM.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Hockey is a business.   Sparing hurt feelings aside, keeping a healthy pipeline of picks and prospects should be the goal of every GM.

Yes, hockey is a business. And Edler negotiated his NMC as part of a business transaction, I think it's naïve to believe he'd waive it. Particularly having spent his entire career here, been here for the rise to the cup run and during the decline. You really think he's interested in leaving now that this team looks to be on a gradual upswing again? I don't, I strongly doubt he'll play anywhere but Vancouver. Want to talk business? At going on 35 Edler's still one of our better D, otherwise you wouldn't even entertain selling him. He's an asset to this team, and you're not going to get a better D on a more flexible contract at the price you'd get Edler in Vancouver. 

 

If he wants to stay, and history tells us he's been unwilling to leave, you bring him back. The goal of every GM isn't accumulating picks and prospects for a perpetual rebuild, it's to compete. There are Canucks fans who dump on him, but Edler helps us compete. 

 

I'm a strong advocate of retaining Edler, clearly. Is there the chance he surprises us all and allows himself to move to a contender only to come back as a UFA? Of course there is, but given history it's certainly not a bet I'd make. Tell him he's not part of our plans and he likely finishes out the season as a Canuck and retires, and you lose a top 4D who could be had on a reasonable contract next season. 

 

He's made lots of money, if he was willing to be moved the time to have done it would have been two or three years ago as his game actually got better as he entered his thirties. We might have had a first for him then, and yet he remained to play on a team that was much worse than the one we currently have. I don't doubt that conversations regarding waiving have happened over the years and never made it into the media, and yet he's still here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Yes, hockey is a business. And Edler negotiated his NMC as part of a business transaction, I think it's naïve to believe he'd waive it. Particularly having spent his entire career here, been here for the rise to the cup run and during the decline. You really think he's interested in leaving now that this team looks to be on a gradual upswing again? I don't, I strongly doubt he'll play anywhere but Vancouver. Want to talk business? At going on 35 Edler's still one of our better D, otherwise you wouldn't even entertain selling him. He's an asset to this team, and you're not going to get a better D on a more flexible contract at the price you'd get Edler in Vancouver. 

 

If he wants to stay, and history tells us he's been unwilling to leave, you bring him back. The goal of every GM isn't accumulating picks and prospects for a perpetual rebuild, it's to compete. There are Canucks fans who dump on him, but Edler helps us compete. 

 

I'm a strong advocate of retaining Edler, clearly. Is there the chance he surprises us all and allows himself to move to a contender only to come back as a UFA? Of course there is, but given history it's certainly not a bet I'd make. Tell him he's not part of our plans and he likely finishes out the season as a Canuck and retires, and you lose a top 4D who could be had on a reasonable contract next season. 

 

He's made lots of money, if he was willing to be moved the time to have done it would have been two or three years ago as his game actually got better as he entered his thirties. We might have had a first for him then, and yet he remained to play on a team that was much worse than the one we currently have. I don't doubt that conversations regarding waiving have happened over the years and never made it into the media, and yet he's still here. 

I get what you’re saying but I’m just not sure if I see a fit here for Edler here next season.   The Canucks have a more pressing need for a younger top pairing right sided “defensive defenseman.”   Tryamkin will likely be back and Juolevi will likely need more ice time as well for his development.    I see our pairings being more along the lines of the following:

 

Hughes-Larsson

Tryamkin-Schmidt 

Juolevi-Myers

 

At 35-36 years of age, I just think Edler would be better off somewhere else.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Never in all the year of being a Canuck fan have I seen a GM move more than a player or 2

IMO, this is the year to do it

The reason being, that with Covid, UFA prices are down, and with players being cast off like rice at a wedding,

there are alot of options, and some very good ones at that

 

So, yes, sell any veteran that can bring something back

I am also of the opinion, that retention, has value this year, and will bring back a better pick or prospect

 

So, unlike many others here, I see some of our veterans bringing back decent returns, and these 3, all who will be UFA's at the end of the year, could have some retention.

 

Pearson...........I think he brings back a 2nd, and add a plus with retention...................$3,750,000 next year savings

Sutter...............Sutter brings back an 2nd with retention................................................$4,375,000 next year savings

Benn................I think Benn brings back a 3rd with retention.........................................$2,000,000 next year savings

 

I would also want to move

 

Virtanen  .................................................................2021 - 2nd.......................................$2,550,000 savings

Roussel + 25% Retention + 2022 5th = Future Considerations......................................$3,000,000 savings

 

I would also add incentives to move Myers ( I love his heart, not so much anything else, sorry big guy) If that is Virtanen, or DiPietro so be it) $6,000,000 savings

 

Buyout Eriksson....................................................................................... .......................$2,000,000 savings

Let Edler walk...................................................................................................................$5,000,000 savings

 

                                                                                                                                                                                                  Approx.Total Savings......$28,685,000

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I get what you’re saying but I’m just not sure if I see a fit here for Edler here next season.   The Canucks have a more pressing need for a younger top pairing right sided “defensive defenseman.”   Tryamkin will likely be back and Juolevi will likely need more ice time as well for his development.    I see our pairings being more along the lines of the following:

 

Hughes-Larsson

Tryamkin-Schmidt 

Juolevi-Myers

 

At 35-36 years of age, I just think Edler would be better off somewhere else.  

A question of fit is valid, I'm not gonna pretend to know what JB's got on the burner regarding management's vision of next season. Although such a thing is likely fluid. 

 

I'm not at sold as you seem to be on Tryamkin coming back, it's no secret that the Canucks would like him to come back but whether it actually happens is anyone's guess. Word was that they were trying to get a deal hammered out but cap was an issue, or something along those lines. I'd like to see him, by all accounts he's played well in the KHL, but I also question whether he's ready to step right into a top 4 role at the NHL level given his lack of NHL experience. Not sure I'm prepared to have our D rolling the dice on an unknown regarding a top 4 role, even if he is a giant who can skate well. 

 

I fully expect Larsson to be retained by Edmonton, I think he probably gets some of the cap they get back by allowing Barrie to walk. Barrie's likely not staying there, he signed a one year deal with a high scoring club to bolster his stock, he'll have suitors. At going on 30 this is likely Barrie's last chance to cash in and Edmonton won't have the cap to pay him much more than what he's getting. Edmonton's approach may very well be to outscore their problems, but they can't completely ignore the defensive aspect of things which is why I see Larsson being retained. 

 

I don't see why age would be an issue for Edler if he's still an effective player, it's not uncommon for D to play well into their late 30's. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...