The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laying down on the Job. Myers reverting to his Buffalo +- days

Rate this topic

Primal Optimist

What do you do with a problem like Myeria?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Your opinion that Myers is terrible on the PK isn't backed up by the stats.

Goals against average per 60 minutes while shorthanded
Juolevi - 0
Benn - 3
Myers - 4.3
Schmidt - 5.4
Edler - 8.6
Hamonic - 24

Juolevi has a small sample size of a little over 13 minutes of total PK time this season. Hamonic has a pretty small sample size as well at just over 20 minutes of total PK time.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, boziffous said:

Your opinion that Myers is terrible on the PK isn't backed up by the stats.

Goals against average per 60 minutes while shorthanded
Juolevi - 0
Benn - 3
Myers - 4.3
Schmidt - 5.4
Edler - 8.6
Hamonic - 24

Juolevi has a small sample size of a little over 13 minutes of total PK time this season. Hamonic has a pretty small sample size as well at just over 20 minutes of total PK time.

Not disagreeing but glad you did that stat collection, thank you.

Hoping to see MORE Juolevi and less Myers on the PK. I wonder, and will get around to looking, how our D stacks up on PK TOI. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I disagree, Myers is a valuable part of our D corp and he's one of our only D who will consistently physically push back. He's had his off games, but so have the rest of our D except maybe Juolevi, and like all those D he'd likely perform better for competent coaching staff in systems that aren't garbage. 

he did exactly that with his 4.5 years with what we can call PEAK winnipeg, the team he was a part of was on top of their game for that timeframe. before and after that though, I don't really view his offense as worth his lack of defense and his penalty addiction.

I'd be more concerned about Schmidt, Edler, and even Hughes' ability to keep the puck in the o-zone while they are manning the points, to be honest.  Myers is doing fine for what he brings.  I don't even mind the penalties, though I think he could stand to be a bit more rough around the edges so that rats from the other teams don't take liberties on our players.

I wonder though if those other three Dmen are much more worth having in the Offensive zone and not as bad at having in the Defensive zone? Curious, not clinging to my guns declaring I am right, just curious about the exact role for Myers not being the right fit for Myers. Shrug, I feel our D would be better all around with the subtraction of the one player. Thing is I won't know and can't show it until there is a moment that he is subtracted. Hopefully, for me, I will get to see a Canucks game soon where Myers is on the Taxi Squad to save his 6million cap hit for a few days time, and we try a few young fellows out in his stead. Not permanently, but for a look see. 

Edited by Primal Optimist
  • Haha 1

Just now, Primal Optimist said:

he did exactly that with his 4.5 years with what we can call PEAK winnipeg, the team he was a part of was on top of their game for that timeframe. before and after that though, I don't really view his offense as worth his lack of defense and his penalty addiction.

It'd be nice if he could reign in the penalties no doubt, but some of them I don't mind. I've noticed that he tends to get the short end of stick regarding more physical penalties because "big 6'8 man bad, no play physical on smaller players". As for defense, that's a teamwide problem right now, not something specific to Myers. 

Within the context of a team that's struggled defensively almost every game I think he's been fine. 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, rychicken said:

Myers as a 6D, playing 10-12 minutes a night is ok. Myers as a top 4D playing 18+ a night is not ok

Sure let's increase QHs minutes and give him Myers assignments while we are at it.   Why don't we promote Benn and Chatfield too.   Myers play is fine - we need more guys like him not less.   Then maybe he can play less and against some easy competition while he's at it.    

• Cheers 3

Another ridiculous thread.   Both the eye test - and stats wise - Myers isn't the problem.   Our best RHD - and like Edler, insulating the rest of our D corp.  If we had 6 guys just like him we'd be a playoff team right now even though we have a lot of other issues still to address. 

• Cheers 3