The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laying down on the Job. Myers reverting to his Buffalo +- days

Rate this topic

Primal Optimist

What do you do with a problem like Myeria?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, boziffous said:

With the Canucks goal differential currently at -17, coupled with the fact that Myers plays more even strength minutes than anyone else on the team, I'd say -1 for Myers is pretty decent.

I will certainly concede that point! I was amazed it was only that!! My take on this year is only anecdotal but when ever I am watching specifically the D pairings, I find myself tensing up at something Myers is doing or not doing, what seems like seconds before we are scored upon. lol. I was the most shocked to see his even strength +- at just minus 1 so far, lol.

4 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

I will certainly concede that point! I was amazed it was only that!! My take on this year is only anecdotal but when ever I am watching specifically the D pairings, I find myself tensing up at something Myers is doing or not doing, what seems like seconds before we are scored upon. lol. I was the most shocked to see his even strength +- at just minus 1 so far, lol.

QHs pairing is the issue.  He's a special player but he can't do a lot things that are required of a defenseman.   Myers is a bad scapegoat.   One of the few signings i've really liked the last seven years. 

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

QHs pairing is the issue.  He's a special player but he can't do a lot things that are required of a defenseman.   Myers is a bad scapegoat.   One of the few signings i've really liked the last seven years. 

I liked it at the time of the signing, much like L.E. at the time of the signing. I am just not feeling it as a 6m dollar dman who doesn't put up a lot of PP points at all here, i would want that Dman to be defensive if he isn't ripping it up at the other end. Hughes is specifically here to rip it up at the other end, I don't see that as Myers role, yet it is being used to justify his poor defensive play. When I see him always on the losing end of five on five play, always putting 1.5 mins a game in the sin bin and always giving away the puck twice as often as taking away the puck: its basics 101 in my own humble opinion that we could possibly enjoy sitting him on the bench for just two games and having a look at another pairing in his place. 

I never said I wanted to fire him, but I want to see something else for a look and compare that look to the one we all see now: a trajectory that is sub-playoffs. 

COnsider if you will: we bench or send Myers to the taxi squad for two games and we win both with much nicer giveaway stats, much nicer plm's and much nicer goals against at even strength. The only way to see if that would be a result would be to try it, right? I voted to send him to the taxi squad for a couple games as a message to him and the rest of the D.

Edler, Alexander NMC LD NHL 34 7.4 $6,000,000
UFA

Myers, Tyler M-NTC RD NHL 31 7.4 $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $6,000,000 $6,000,000
UFA

Schmidt, Nate M-NTC LD/RD NHL 29 7.3 $5,950,000 $5,950,000 $5,950,000 $5,950,000 $5,950,000
UFA

(I am not very happy with any of this here in the quote, but of the three (*and I have never been a really big Edler fan) Myers seems to me a bit of a lynchpin in the fails. I really suspect removing him will reduce the overall suck on the blueline. I can't quantify my gut on it any more than I already have though. I suspect it may be an issue of everyone being used slightly out of their lane to accommodate Myers being used in an incorrect fashion)

I am aware my post is going to be not well received by 50% of the readership, I just ask that folks don't get personal or abusive in their comments, but please do keep commenting. 

If anyone reading along is interested in trying their hand at being a GM of a club...perhaps consider joining CDCGML, the Canucks.com General Managers League in the Fantasy Hockey section of the forums. I can point you to the league officials who are taking applications now for a few vacancies. Come and beat me. lol. ; )

Edited by Primal Optimist

12 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I tend to blame Baumer for a lot of the troubles we are having on the D end which probably means he is up for another raise similar to Brown with the special teams. 

I hadn't really considered who the D coach was/is but you may have a very valid point right there!

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, Ronaldoescobar said:

I tend to blame Baumer for a lot of the troubles we are having on the D end which probably means he is up for another raise similar to Brown with the special teams. 

8 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

I hadn't really considered who the D coach was/is but you may have a very valid point right there!

When Gudbranson left for Pittsburgh he had a very telling interview about how it was nice to play in Pittsburgh, as they actually had a defensive system in place.

• Cheers 2
  • RoughGame 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

The present D-corps doesn't have one guy who can successfully log elevated minutes, and that's a problem. 

Nate Schmidt was Vegas #1 D prior to Shea Theodore. Edler has been playing #1 minutes his whole career, essentially. Tyler Myers has always been a minute muncher. It's the system, not the players.

Just now, Junkyard Dog said:

Can you post the interview?

Looking for it

Edited by 5Fivehole0
  • Cheers 1

Myers is too slow as I said before. 
This also means he isn’t quick enough to stop himself from taking penalties when quick players swarm around him.

But the worst bit is that someone on the team needs to babysit him when he goes forward. 
It’s the same problem with Hughes but Hughes is an amazing player that is worth having a babysitter for. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Nate Schmidt was Vegas #1 D prior to Shea Theodore. Edler has been playing #1 minutes his whole career, essentially. Tyler Myers has always been a minute muncher. It's the system, not the players.

Sucessfully, I say. 

Edler has done a decent job in the past, but that ship has sailed now. 

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Primal Optimist said:

Not disagreeing but glad you did that stat collection, thank you.

Hoping to see MORE Juolevi and less Myers on the PK. I wonder, and will get around to looking, how our D stacks up on PK TOI. 

This stat shows that of all dmen playing lots of minutes, he is our second best PK dman. 

51 minutes ago, Primal Optimist said:

I liked it at the time of the signing, much like L.E. at the time of the signing. I am just not feeling it as a 6m dollar dman who doesn't put up a lot of PP points at all here, i would want that Dman to be defensive if he isn't ripping it up at the other end. Hughes is specifically here to rip it up at the other end, I don't see that as Myers role, yet it is being used to justify his poor defensive play. When I see him always on the losing end of five on five play, always putting 1.5 mins a game in the sin bin and always giving away the puck twice as often as taking away the puck: its basics 101 in my own humble opinion that we could possibly enjoy sitting him on the bench for just two games and having a look at another pairing in his place. 

I never said I wanted to fire him, but I want to see something else for a look and compare that look to the one we all see now: a trajectory that is sub-playoffs. 

COnsider if you will: we bench or send Myers to the taxi squad for two games and we win both with much nicer giveaway stats, much nicer plm's and much nicer goals against at even strength. The only way to see if that would be a result would be to try it, right? I voted to send him to the taxi squad for a couple games as a message to him and the rest of the D.

(I am not very happy with any of this here in the quote, but of the three (*and I have never been a really big Edler fan) Myers seems to me a bit of a lynchpin in the fails. I really suspect removing him will reduce the overall suck on the blueline. I can't quantify my gut on it any more than I already have though. I suspect it may be an issue of everyone being used slightly out of their lane to accommodate Myers being used in an incorrect fashion)

I am aware my post is going to be not well received by 50% of the readership, I just ask that folks don't get personal or abusive in their comments, but please do keep commenting. 

If anyone reading along is interested in trying their hand at being a GM of a club...perhaps consider joining CDCGML, the Canucks.com General Managers League in the Fantasy Hockey section of the forums. I can point you to the league officials who are taking applications now for a few vacancies. Come and beat me. lol. ; )

Myers isn't a fail.  You lost me right there.  Three years left.   Guddy got 4.5 this year ... i'm actually worried about when he's done.