The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laying down on the Job. Myers reverting to his Buffalo +- days

Rate this topic

Primal Optimist

What do you do with a problem like Myeria?  

100 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I think it's more the case of team defence.

Is it just playing on a bad team in Buffalo? They downright sucked years prior to getting Eichel (and still suck after getting Eichel).

Winnipeg was a playoff team that went to 3rd round. 

Canucks aren't exactly a juggernaut when it comes to team defence.

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Wow.  Why don't we start one for Edler, Schmidt and QHs while we are at it.   Myers is the least of our problems.   

Really? Thats all? I said Myers wasn't tough and you wrote me a short novel on why I'm a terrible fan and a worse human... and this is all you have?

Is it my avatar? Got something against Stone Cold? Was he your step dad during the beer truck years? I don't get it.

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, Davathor said:

Really? Thats all? I said Myers wasn't tough and you wrote me a short novel on why I'm a terrible fan and a worse human... and this is all you have?

Is it my avatar? Got something against Stone Cold? Was he your step dad during the beer truck years? I don't get it.

Davathor, i regrettably think you got caught up in a long post directed at a few posters about a week ago correct? on a similar subject  - and Stone Cold is awesome - wish all our guys smashed a few beers and went out and did their thing so no it's not that at all.  Don't take my short stories personally.  

I don't mind Myers game he plays aggressive and makes some good offensive rushes..In defensive zone coverage lots of time forwards don't help with coverage and not helping get puck out of defensive zone...The 5 man unit can be very bad at times and then D man and goalies are on there own...

2 hours ago, rychicken said:

Myers as a 6D, playing 10-12 minutes a night is ok. Myers as a top 4D playing 18+ a night is not ok

Sad state of affairs when he's the best option to play 18 plus minutes a night and not be a complete liability though isn't it?   Benn or Chatfield ... or Hamonic well hmmm.   Schmidt has tried ... carry on though.   Quality of competition matters - should we put QHs on the PK or any of these other guys instead?   Good grief.   Myers had picked up where Edler whipping boy crew left off - difference is even though this is one of the worst runs in club history - he's not leading the league in minus like Edler did one year is he? 

Juolevi and Myers have been the bright spot on the blueline. If you want to call out a Dman this year look right at Quinn Hughes with the team's worst plus minus by a wide margin and Nate Schmidt who has the team's highest give aways.  Those two collectively have made things very difficult for the team as a whole defensively.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, boziffous said:

Your opinion that Myers is terrible on the PK isn't backed up by the stats.

Goals against average per 60 minutes while shorthanded
Juolevi - 0
Benn - 3
Myers - 4.3
Schmidt - 5.4
Edler - 8.6
Hamonic - 24

Juolevi has a small sample size of a little over 13 minutes of total PK time this season. Hamonic has a pretty small sample size as well at just over 20 minutes of total PK time.

Maybe I’m just stubborn but I still have a hard time believing that this list of defencemen is as bad as what we’re seeing. My bigger concern by far is Baumgartner. Not that personal hockey skills are directly relatable to coaching but Baumer wouldn’t have beat out a single dman on this roster.

Myers is definitely not the problem and if he was gone, I think things would be even worse.  Myers is very much our Edler replacement over the next year or two.  He can be an every situation guy and can play up and down the lineup as needed.  He plays with an edge, has a strong shot, can move the puck and can defend as well.  Does he make the odd bonehead play, yes, but that is not the norm if you watch closely.  There are so many other problems with this team, and there would be more if Myers wasn't here.  He is worth the contract and I think will still be a valuable player at the backend of the contract.

Truly, we are at the point where we need to consider the sell off of players that don't need to be part of next year or the long term.  As a start I would try and move Pearson (Moderate value) and one of Beagle/Sutter (Some value), as well as Benn now that Hamonic is back.  Let some younger guys graduate and play out the year seeing what we have with Gaudette/Virtanen/MacEwen/Joulevi etc in more prominent roles.  This team's system and confidence is fundamentally flawed at this point, so may as well adjust it to be development focused.

• Vintage 1

Name a defenseman who's playing well right now.  The entire group is underachieving, yet the unqualified idiot coaching them is still employed.  I guarantee that every D will improve one Baumgartner is replaced with a coach who isn't severely mentally handicapped.

Edited by King Heffy