The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Realistic Value of Quinn Hughes

OK so preface this by saying i would never consider trading him but have now seen numerous posts about trading him

So let's just out it.  What is his value?

For me

Two 1sts, not protected

top tier rookie

quality young player

quality roster player

They are taking back a contract like Eriksson

Your valuation for what he;'d command?

I've long considered sending him to NJ. I think that's who'd give us the best return.

Imagine if they'd give you Holtz & their 2021 1st? Can't say how much they'd pay? But bet they'd love to market a Hughes combo.

I've never really liked smallish, offensive-oriented D. Also with OJ, JR, JW & (hopefully) NT back there, we'd still have lots to be excited about.

A similar level Dman. 

Can’t really afford a rebuilding move and if you are you might as well trade a Miller/Horvat  and make it a huge deal while you’re at it because we won’t be competitive for a while longer. 

I don’t see why you entertain the idea though. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog

14 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I've long considered sending him to NJ. I think that's who'd give us the best return.

Imagine if they'd give you Holtz & their 2021 1st? Can't say how much they'd pay? But bet they'd love to market a Hughes combo.

I've never really liked smallish, offensive-oriented D. Also with OJ, JR, JW & (hopefully) NT back there, we'd still have lots to be excited about.

What is NT?

21 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

OK so preface this by saying i would never consider trading him but have now seen numerous posts about trading him

For me

Two 1sts, not protected

top tier rookie

quality young player

quality roster player

Trading Quinn Hughes would be beyond stupid but IF I had to do something like this, I'd see if I could go Pettersson + Hughes for Eichel + Dahlin.  

3 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Trading Quinn Hughes would be beyond stupid but IF I had to do something like this, I'd see if I could go Pettersson + Hughes for Eichel + Dahlin.  

Absolutes are unnecessary with player values. It's the kind of certainty these boards featured when say, Schneids was dealt. All the moaners were proven dead-wrong!

"Whoever gets the best player wins the trade" This old Sam Pollock maxim is likely outdated in a hard cap world.

• Cheers 1

Again, my request would be so over the top that nobody would consider it.

But yes, people have in fact suggested trading Quinn Hughes for futures and maybes so I have to see what people genuinely think is possible for him because i can't wrap my head around the idea of trading him at all

• Cheers 1

It's so hard to place a value on him at this point, but it would be a ton. Of course, as @Teemu Selänne says, if we were to actually trade him, it would have to involve overpayment due to how critical he is to our team.

As far as his value, distinct from how much we need him, I'd say two unprotected 1sts, a good rookie/sophomore player (19-22 y/0 middle six/2nd pairing), and 23-28 y/o middle six/2nd pairing defenseman might be about right. Add more to that for us to trade him since we need Hughes so badly.

Using the Blackhawks as an example, it might be (straight value, not a realistic actual trade):

To Van:

Kubalik (21 years old - borderline 1st line winger)

2021 1st

2022 1st

Murphy (27 years old - 2/3 defenseman)

To Chi:

Hughes

A more realistic actual trade (from VAN's perspective) might be:

To Van:

Kubalik (21 years old, borderline 1st line winger)

2021 1st

2022 1st

Murphy (27 years old - 2/3 defenseman)

Boqvist (20 years old - 3/4 defenseman)

To Chi:

Hughes

Eriksson (no retention)

Roussel (no retention)

I don't think Chicago agrees to the 2nd above trade though.

The type of deal it would take would have to be an overpayment and if you're gonna trade Hughes you might as well make it a bigger deal and trade Miller too.

An example would be this.

Hughes

Miller

Gaudette

Smith

Zacha

Holtz

1st(this year or next)

Zacha is playing with Hischier in the top 6 but he was/is their 3rd C before they decided to switch Hughes to C and will be their 3rd C next year when Zajac is gone. Holtz is a top prospect, Smith is a promising rookie Dman and their 1st could be 5-20(Devils are currently .500 and would probably improve this year with this deal so could be a higher pick if this year).

The Devils might be better in the short/mid term with this deal but unless they can re-sign Miller it isn't really worth it and Canucks would more than likely win the long-term.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Warhippy said:

For me

Two 1sts, not protected

top tier rookie

quality young player

quality roster player

I appreciate what you're doing here Hip, and the lumps you make take for it, but its good to know the value of things you have even when you want to keep them.

For me, assuming he continues on pace to be a career PPG d man, and his defensive game continues to improve, he's an elite play driver already, I'd say he's worth what his next offer sheet compensation will be when he's eligible for that after his bridge deal, so thats probably in the 9 mil + range for 5 years. 

So thats 2 1sts, a 2nd and a 3rd. 

If we can't match for some reason thats your floor. Your suggestion would be the "because its too good to pass up" offer.