Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Realistic Value of Quinn Hughes


Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Canucks finally have an elite, #1 d for the first time in franchise history (maybe outside of Paul Reinhart's short stint). I know this avoids the OP question, but it better be a giant giant overpayment if he's moved anytime soon

Dale Tallon could've been that player but they screwed around with his development (playing on a real expansion club didn't help either) by shifting him to center & back again to D (and so on & so on).  For being the consolation prize in that draft (missing legit HHOFer Gilbert Perreault), he had that kind of talent.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DontMessMe said:

What im more curious about is JT miller's value.

 

now watch @WeneedLumme walk to this thread and lecture you folks on the importance of not putting any of your players on the trading block for moral reason..... 

Do you really need to call him out to spark a flame? Just let it rest and don't stir up trouble.

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, AriGold2.0 said:

Exactly..

 

To VAN: Ty Smith + Alexander Holtz + 2021 1st

To NJD: Quinn Hughes + Michael Dipietro + 2021 2nd

there needs to be a puke "react" button

  • Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hammertime said:

BUF Dahlin + Zemgus Girgensons

AVS Byron + Newhook

NYI Barzal + Dobson

At most I could see Quinn going for one of these 1st round pick ELC guys, not them+. 

You'd find fans on either side arguing for either Dahlin or for Hughes' value until the cows come home so I won't bother, but Colorado wouldn't want him over Byram IMO when they already have their steady smaller guys in Makar and Girard and Sakic's been good in finding balance in his pairings (smaller PMD next to defender).  I'd do Hughes for Dobson, or (had we bought low on him) Hughes for Seth Jones (he's still at an ugly -9 but Seth is an all-round #1 that you can really only buy low on, and even then teams just wait for them to rebound but with Quinn you might have a shot at getting them).    

Edited by Phil_314
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Warhippy said:

OK so preface this by saying i would never consider trading him but have now seen numerous posts about trading him

 

So let's just out it.  What is his value?

 

For me

 

Two 1sts, not protected

top tier rookie

quality young player

quality roster player

They are taking back a contract like Eriksson

 

Your valuation for what he;'d command?

I don't think I'd ever want to attach a player like Hughes to get rid of an LE.......that just brings his value down and you want to get back as much you possibly canif you're moving a QH. 

 

I'd only entertain moving a QH for a big, fast legit #1 cman who can log big mins and dominate games.  The only other way I'd do is for a 1st, 2nd or 3rd OA in a good draft.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

His value would be similar to Rasmus Dahlin or Cale Makar.  You can't really replace Quinn though.  Not many Dmen in the league like him.  He's the kind of player you build a team around not someone you trade to try and upgrade elsewhere.

I don't think so.  Not many teams win Cups riding on the shoulders of elite offensive dmen.  Pieterangelo, Hedman, Doughty, Pronger.........these are the guys you ride to a Cup......not a Karlsson.

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

He's a game breaker, for sure. I personally wouldn't trade that away despite his defensive lapses at this point. So, IMO, who is the other game changer you're going to get back?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

I've long considered sending him to NJ. I think that's who'd give us the best return.

 

Imagine if they'd give you Holtz & their 2021 1st? Can't say how much they'd pay? But bet they'd love to market a Hughes combo.

 

I've never really liked smallish, offensive-oriented D. Also with OJ, JR, JW & (hopefully) NT back there, we'd still have lots to be excited about.

Hughes for Hughes?

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

At most I could see Quinn going for one of these 1st round pick ELC guys, not them+. 

You'd find fans on either side arguing for either Dahlin or for Hughes' value until the cows come home so I won't bother, but Colorado wouldn't want him over Byram IMO when they already have their steady smaller guys in Makar and Girard and Sakic's been good in finding balance in his pairings (smaller PMD next to defender).  I'd do Hughes for Dobson, or (had we bought low on him) Hughes for Seth Jones (he's still at an ugly -9 but Seth is an all-round #1 that you can really only buy low on, and even then teams just wait for them to rebound but with Quinn you might have a shot at getting them).    

Quit being so "realistic" like its in the title of the thread or something. The point is "realistically" you don't trade Hughes unless the offer is too good to be true. 

 

1 as you said Dahlin for Hughes is debatable so Buf would have to add. 

 

2 Byram is an unknown who got injured and stumbled in his D+1 he has 2 pts in 14 games this season theres alot of risk there. They'd have to add Newhook.

 

3 NYI Barzal has 87 points so far in his last 2 seasons good enough for somewhere around 40th. Hughes 74 thats the 2nd most from any D in that span and he is the highest scoring D in the entire League this year. NYI has to add substantially. Dobson would have to be added at the very least for me to be interested.

  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Quit being so "realistic" like its in the title of the thread or something. The point is "realistically" you don't trade Hughes unless the offer is too good to be true. 

 

1 as you said Dahlin for Hughes is debatable so Buf would have to add. 

 

2 Byram is an unknown who got injured and stumbled in his D+1 he has 2 pts in 14 games this season theres alot of risk there. They'd have to add Newhook.

 

3 NYI Barzal has 87 points so far in his last 2 seasons good enough for somewhere around 40th. Hughes 74 thats the 2nd most from any D in that span and he is the highest scoring D in the entire League this year. NYI has to add substantially. Dobson would have to be added at the very least for me to be interested.

 

If Buff has to add they don't do the deal. I don't think they do a 1 for 1 either. In terms of potential Dahlin has the capabilities to be greater(Do it all defenseman). Potential is just that though but still. If you're gonna do Hughes for Dahlin there needs to be more pieces involved for both sides. Needs to be a hockey trade that makes sense.

 

Avs don't need Hughes.

 

Neither do NYI for that price. Islanders need Barzal more than they need Hughes.  They don't have many offensive forwards of his caliber or young forwards in general. They also don't score a lot so trading their Top C who drives their offense isn't a smart idea. Their D-corp is a whole lot younger. They don't trade Dobson either, he's shown a lot of promise so far.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

He's a game breaker, for sure. I personally wouldn't trade that away despite his defensive lapses at this point. So, IMO, who is the other game changer you're going to get back?

If Byfield is truly available for a top, young damn........

 

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BarnBurner said:

Serious question. Would you trade Huggy for Barzal straight up? I wouldn't. So what else are you going to add?

No way the Islanders would ever do a Barzal for Hughes straight up.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...