The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The poultryfication of Jake Virtanen

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

Jake “the Duck” Virtanen?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

6 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

7 hours ago, Chesster said:

Jake is a top line player now, and when he plays on the top line he doesn't make any more mistakes than any other top line player. Unfortunately he gets screwed over and moved down or sat down way quicker than anyone else would. In fact it's pretty much impossible for other top line players to get moved down no matter how bad they play. So Jake is getting screwed over as are canuck fans afaiac. Jake has the perfect physique for winning playoff series so no way do we let him go.

All I know is I can't stand seeing that "Shucks, I screwed up" look on his smirkey face one more time.

Virtanen in doghouse after flunking physical; Juolevi's knee a concern |  The Province

Same face every time he flys by the net instead of driving to the net 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Did Jake send you a Valentines this year?

Where Hockey Meets Art — wallpapers • jake virtanen + cute aesthetic...

hehehe. Well I just want to win. Jake is a victim of hockey culture like Tryamkin. Tree was  arguably our best defenseman but whinged about ice time and ended up gone over it. He did deserve the ice time but culture dictated he had to spend time in the penalty box. Another of his issues was he came to camp out of shape too, if I remember correctly. Anyway, my point is, if we want to win we have to suck up to these primma donna types. Jake is great on the top line as long as we forget about punishing him or expecting him to earn his time playing on the third line playing like a third liner. It's not gonna happen. He needs to be gifted the top line permanently like Petersson and Brock both of who both make humungous amounts of mistakes and we think nothing of it, even encourage it .

Edited by Chesster
  • Sad 1
  • RoughGame 2

5 hours ago, Chesster said:

hehehe. Well I just want to win. Jake is a victim of hockey culture like Tryamkin. Tree was  arguably our best defenseman but whinged about ice time and ended up gone over it. He did deserve the ice time but culture dictated he had to spend time in the penalty box. Another of his issues was he came to camp out of shape too, if I remember correctly. Anyway, my point is, if we want to win we have to suck up to these primma donna types. Jake is great on the top line as long as we forget about punishing him or expecting him to earn his time playing on the third line playing like a third liner. It's not gonna happen. He needs to be gifted the top line permanently like Petersson and Brock both of who both make humungous amounts of mistakes and we think nothing of it, even encourage it .

All joking aside, I certainly respect your viewpoint but Lazy Jake has had so many chances on the top line, the 2nd line, the 3rd line and the 4th line, that I've lost count.  TG has tried to slot him in on pretty well every line combo possible overt the years and he can't seem to find his place.   He's been given ample chances and he can seem to put a full 60 minute effort in, let alone back to back games,  At some point you just have to move on and that's where were at with him.   Best for him and the team if he's traded ASAP as he's taking up valuable oxygen that other younger, more motivated players earned and deserved.

The Jake experiment is over!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

All joking aside, I certainly respect your viewpoint but Lazy Jake has had so many chances on the top line, the 2nd line, the 3rd line and the 4th line, that I've lost count.  TG has tried to slot him in on pretty well every line combo possible overt the years and he can't seem to find his place.   He's been given ample chances and he can seem to put a full 60 minute effort in, let alone back to back games,  At some point you just have to move on and that's where were at with him.   Best for him and the team if he's traded ASAP as he's taking up valuable oxygen that other younger, more motivated players earned and deserved.

The Jake experiment is over!

It may be and that's too bad for us. We will pay. Let him play, make tons of mistakes (like the others) and watch us win.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

17 hours ago, brbetts542 said:

Jake sucks and Seattle will not select him without an incentive.

it’s funny because for years there was so much healthy debate here but now there is nothing. Please 

Not even worth its own thread 

The debate re-Virtanen was between the cheerleaders who are some thing like the synonym "hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil" While the other side is represented by reality. Rather than look and assess. Virtanen arrived with favourable reveiws mostly propagated by Vcr management. "local boy makes good" but from season 2 he faded and folks still clung to the three frog theory. Here's the test, for a moment believe you're a scout  and your job hangs on the ability to find good players. Lots of scrutiny, disregard  where he comes from the colour of his eyes. Too many get caught up with the trivial to influence their perspective.. Just as important to rating good talent is the ability to spot the fakes

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Sadly, Jake was everything JB was looking for in that draft, big, physical, great skater, outstanding shot, and plays with an edge. The Canucks needed a player like that. JB was looking for a feel-good local boy story for the fanbase during dark times. You watch Jake's Calgary Hitmen highlights, and I understand why JB would overlook the essential part of his scouting report, his low hockey IQ.

The problem with Jake, and I've said this before, isn't just hockey IQ, he lacks self-discipline, self-motivation and he's not that bright. He plays on a team with two of the hardest-working players in the league, but does he model his effort after Bo or Motte? Nope, he's not that bright. He'll play a few good shifts or even a good game, and those of us desperate for him to turn the corner hope he's finally figured it out, but sadly he always regresses to his slack-ass norm. With Holtby's recent resurgence, I have a feeling that Seattle takes him in the ED, so hopefully, JB can pawn Jake off for a second or a high third-round pick. Travis has given him so many chances in the top-six, and generally, he makes whatever line he's on worse, plays go to die on his stick.

Jake is that big kid who developed good eye-hand coordination early and never had to work that hard to be better than everyone else all the way through junior hockey. Still, the pros will tell you, being a professional hockey player is a year-round, full-time job. You have to always stick to your diet and workout schedule; everybody in the NHL is equal to him in coordination, speed, shot etc. The difference between a great pro and Jake is work ethic and IQ. 

Edited by canuckleheads fan
  • Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Slegr said:

I'm super frustrated tonight, but yeah, Jake has been terrible. He had that one amazing game this season, and then everything else was blah.

What amazing game? Please remind me 

• Cheers 1

What was Jake doing out there in the last minute yesterday? When we need the win Green has to swallow his pride and play his best, just like he did in the playoffs last year when things were dire. Jake brought us through then, but bingo, back to the bottom in the next series.

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, canuckleheads fan said:

Sadly, Jake was everything JB was looking for in that draft, big, physical, great skater, outstanding shot, and plays with an edge. The Canucks needed a player like that. JB was looking for a feel-good local boy story for the fanbase during dark times. You watch Jake's Calgary Hitmen highlights, and I understand why JB would overlook the essential part of his scouting report, his low hockey IQ.

The problem with Jake, and I've said this before, isn't just hockey IQ, he lacks self-discipline, self-motivation and he's not that bright. He plays on a team with two of the hardest-working players in the league, but does he model his effort after Bo or Motte? Nope, he's not that bright. He'll play a few good shifts or even a good game, and those of us desperate for him to turn the corner hope he's finally figured it out, but sadly he always regresses to his slack-ass norm. With Holtby's recent resurgence, I have a feeling that Seattle takes him in the ED, so hopefully, JB can pawn Jake off for a second or a high third-round pick. Travis has given him so many chances in the top-six, and generally, he makes whatever line he's on worse, plays go to die on his stick.

Jake is that big kid who developed good eye-hand coordination early and never had to work that hard to be better than everyone else all the way through junior hockey. Still, the pros will tell you, being a professional hockey player is a year-round, full-time job. You have to always stick to your diet and workout schedule; everybody in the NHL is equal to him in coordination, speed, shot etc. The difference between a great pro and Jake is work ethic and IQ. 

Well said.  Those are the 2 main problems for Jake; Lack of motivation and low Hockey I.Q.    Keep an eye on Jake in todays game and watch carefully when he is put in a tight situation.  He'll never make a play out of it - rather just ends up losing the puck.   It's like his brain shuts down when in any close quarter situation and panics.

Edited by RU SERIOUS
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Well said.  Those are the 2 main problems for Jake; Lack of motivation and low Hockey I.Q.    Keep an eye on Jake in todays game and watch carefully when he is put in a tight situation.  He'll never make a play out of it - rather just ends up losing the puck.   It's like his brain shuts down when in any close quarter situation and panics.

He scored.

• Haha 1

On 4/27/2021 at 9:14 PM, Chesster said:

What was Jake doing out there in the last minute yesterday? When we need the win Green has to swallow his pride and play his best, just like he did in the playoffs last year when things were dire. Jake brought us through then, but bingo, back to the bottom in the next series.

This is, umm, well...a take. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

4 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

He scored.

LOL...on an empty net (The only way he can ...........like Lucky Loui) Hahaha......

I Guess he won't have to face the embarrassment of being tied with some goalies for points - now that he has a whole 5 points (count 'em 5)................hahahahaha !!!!!!!!!

P.S.: You can bet the house that he won't be in a Canucks uniform ever again after May 19th!  (Maybe TG will take Jake with him - wherever he ends up after this season!    That would be "Too funny".)

Edited by RU SERIOUS