The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The poultryfication of Jake Virtanen

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

Jake “the Duck” Virtanen?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Grabner was a first round pick and ended up having an amazing season under NYI, though his commitment issues were notable.

The trade is still one of the worst trades in Canuck history. We traded two first round picks for a guy we had to buyout. What a joke.

Hahahahaha.  It is predictable who are the people who are sour at this stuff...

Grabner was waived after the trade before he played another game in the league.  It was an excellent trade.  We got a player in return that we needed for a guy we could have picked up for free off waivers right after.

Can’t even fault the team for not picking him up off waivers after, we had the best roster in the league and he couldn’t crack it.  That isn’t a failure of the trade at all though... again, we got a roster player for someone who was waiver wire fodder.

Grabner ended up carving out a decent career as a 3rd liner.  Ballard was a part of our roster that gave us the two best years in the entire organization’s history.

We also got the joy of about 4,000 trade proposals of Ballard and a 2nd out of the trade... so pretty solid return.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

5 hours ago, D-Money said:

Umm... Not sure I agree with that. For his faults, Green has shown a remarkable ability to develop young talent (3 Calder finalists in 3 years doesn’t just happen, and none even a top-3 pick).

That said, some players just don’t work under some coaches. And even those that do need a fresh voice once in a while. It’s looking like the majority of the team does. So while I agree it’s time to fire the coach(es), I don’t think there was a problem with what Green had accomplished with them up to this season.

I disagree. Green is lucky they landed in his lap. And now he has Hoglander, then Podkolzin, if he's still here next year.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

6 hours ago, D-Money said:

I like Heinen, he’s been a pretty solid middle-6 guy. 

That said, he’s an impending RFA making $2.8M. Anaheim is trying to trade him because they realize that in this market he’s not going to be worth qualifying. Other teams will likely feel the same. Maybe Benning thinks he’ll sign for less with his hometown team? But if that’s the case, why not just wait until free agency, and take a shot at signing him for free?

Because he will be a restricted free agent and Benning  would have to offer sheet him?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Because he will be a restricted free agent and Benning  would have to offer sheet him?

I think the inference of his post is that Heinen won’t be qualified at the money it would require and Anaheim would be walking away from him like we did Hutton.

We could probably get the player at half the cost in the offseason if we really wanted hom.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

@rychicken    Does this qualify for Scrabble?  

Poultryfication?

At this point, any moves made I won't argue against except if it involves someone named Petey, Brock, Quinn, Nils, Bo, OJ, JT (my own preference...we need "emotion" and he brings that - both good and bad), Motte (again, my own deal).

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

@rychicken    Does this qualify for Scrabble?  

Poultryfication?

At this point, any moves made I won't argue against except if it involves someone named Petey, Brock, Quinn, Nils, Bo, OJ, JT (my own preference...we need "emotion" and he brings that - both good and bad), Motte (again, my own deal).

the post you made with the images of Pat Quinn.... thats what this team is missing right now, a team culture like he brought in. I feel like we have most of the player pieces but the team has lost its swagger. 

1 hour ago, DSVII said:

Looks like Aquilini isn't willing to take money back to make the deal happen.

That could be construed about not wanting to take back cap as well vs. real money.

They get a player for that extra year of salary, we get nothing... or have to pay Heinen a new deal to qualify him.  We are paying Heinen about $650k more in real cash pro-rated for the rest of the season than Jake would get.  Then Jake is $3.4next season and Heinen's qualifying would be $2.8 million... $600k less than Jake's actual dollar salary.  

It pretty much exactly evens out in terms of actual dollars... unless the Ducks see both Virtanen AND Heinen as just cap liabilities with no value as players.

On our end, it is a pretty good bet that the Ducks won't be qualifying Heinen in the summer at that relatively high price tag if they are ready to move on from him already.  He is a BC boy and if we actually liked him as a player we could pick him up for half that salary when he becomes a UFA after not being qualified.  If we don't like him as a player, then forget about getting him as a return for just a few meaningless games when we could just waive Virtanen first and see if someone takes a flyer and picks him up and we save all that cap space this year AND next year to use on a player we like more.

Something isn't fully explained in this reporting as it doesn't make sense.

• Upvote 1

I don't see this deal as anything more than the dumping of a player and his salary that doesn't fit in the Canucks future. And I don't see Heinen sticking in the Nucks lineup either beyond this season. He'll either not be re-signed or he'll end up in the minors. He's just too far removed from his big season and he's already 25. His only potential if he sticks with the Canucks is to be a replacement scapegoat for the fans.

If Benning pulls off this fowl trade it would be a feather in his cap.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, danjr said:

I`m so tired of him, I want him gone.  Don`t even care if we let him walk.
Reminds me of Kassian all over again.  Just hate those pro`s that don`t want to put in the work to be pro`s.

In the last few years he has only shown glimmers of what he could be

Agree - 100%      The Science experiment is OVER.  Get Rid Of Him !

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

He’s only restricted if Anaheim offers him another $2.8M. Or, if they take him to arbitration, but even then the lowest the award will go is $2.38M. He’ll be UFA.

• Cheers 1

Things are so bad for Lazy Jake that there are actually three Goalies with more points than him (LOL)

He's got 1 meager point this year and a PPG of .05  - the worst for any forward on the team and one of the worst in the entire National Hockey League.   

I've been predicting and hoping for his departure and demise for a very long time and will be rejoicing once this FREELOADER is sent packing.  He is as much of a poor example for our young talent as Lucky Loui E.  and should have been traded long ago.  This was a Bad Pick from the very beginning and JB has tried everything to save face with him - but it's turned out as we all predicted it would.  Hopefully JB never repeats this!

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Oldmanpower said:

Our whole bottom 6 forwards are playing like trash. Why trade Jake? Is he the only one with value? Not to mention our top 6 forwards aren’t so $&!# hot either. And why are we trading for a forward when we need a couple defensman? Why not think outside the box and throw Millers name out there and see if we can get a top 4 dman somehow?

I wouldn't throw Miller out with the trash unless we get a deal from heaven for him.  I think he's just pissed at management for wrecking the team chemistry after 1/4 of our team was dis-membered by JB leaving us weaker and back to square one.    After this season we should be able to add more talent with over $20M freed up provided JB doesn't resign any of the OLD TIMERS.    things will get better in the next 18 months.

21 hours ago, wildcam said:

Oh I honestly think Jake will flourish with new team....20 Goals --- 45 point guy for sure..

Jake just needs new coach and with his natural talent he will flourish just not in Vancouver...Playing with no confidence, he doesn't even use his speed and drive to net anymore..I notice him less.... I am a Jake fan but times run out in Vancouver....

Maybe if new coach he would get fresh start in Vancouver?

Yeah for what ever reason not all Canadian kids flourish in Canadian Hockey Markets...the Ducks could be just what he needs....he had so much potential....and compared to other wingers in the top 10  in his draft year.....

Jake Virtanen 

298 51 45 96 -28 204 9 12 0 0 9 0 569 9

Michael Dal Colle 

NHL Career 94 7 12 19 -4 16 0 0 0 0 2 0 96

William Nylander

329 94 144 238 14 80 28 71 0 0 20 4 804 11.7

Nikolaj Ehlers 

389 126 153 279 47 137 24 53 1 1 23 1 1,033 12.2

Nick Ritchie 

313 51 74 125 7 365 11 26 0 0 10 0 542 9.4

then my fav comparison ...drafted 25th...JB's drafting sense failed on this one

David Pastrnak 

402 189 208 397 69 175 65 129 0 0 30 4 1,272 14.9

9 hours ago, Provost said:

Hahahahaha.  It is predictable who are the people who are sour at this stuff...

Grabner was waived after the trade before he played another game in the league.  It was an excellent trade.  We got a player in return that we needed for a guy we could have picked up for free off waivers right after.

Can’t even fault the team for not picking him up off waivers after, we had the best roster in the league and he couldn’t crack it.  That isn’t a failure of the trade at all though... again, we got a roster player for someone who was waiver wire fodder.

Grabner ended up carving out a decent career as a 3rd liner.  Ballard was a part of our roster that gave us the two best years in the entire organization’s history.

We also got the joy of about 4,000 trade proposals of Ballard and a 2nd out of the trade... so pretty solid return.

Wow, what a joke. An excellent trade? What are you smoking? Two first round picks for a player that end up going into a BUYOUT. If Ballard was so good, why was he bought out?

Hilarious, Provolol. If I EVER read another post of yours that talks down on people about being irrational, I'm gonna bring this post of yours up. This is utterly embarrassing, even by your standards.

Also, the lowest ranked team at the time was FLA and it had first dibs on players on waivers. I believe NYI was the second worst team. So your statement that Vancouver could've had him back for free is WRONG.

Throwing away two first round picks for a player that would eventually be bought out is inexcusable - and you called it a good trade. LOL.

Read and weep.

If Multiple Teams Submit Claims Who Gets the Player?

If a player is placed on waivers prior to Nov. 1, waiver order is determined by the reverse standings orrder from the previous season. This means the team in last place gets first chance to place a claim on a player.

If the players is placed on waivers after Nov. 1, then claim order goes by the current season’s standings.

https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-waiver-rules/

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

Yeah for what ever reason not all Canadian kids flourish in Canadian Hockey Markets...the Ducks could be just what he needs....he had so much potential....and compared to other wingers in the top 10  in his draft year.....

Jake Virtanen 

298 51 45 96 -28 204 9 12 0 0 9 0 569 9

Michael Dal Colle 

NHL Career 94 7 12 19 -4 16 0 0 0 0 2 0 96

William Nylander

329 94 144 238 14 80 28 71 0 0 20 4 804 11.7

Nikolaj Ehlers 

389 126 153 279 47 137 24 53 1 1 23 1 1,033 12.2

Nick Ritchie 

313 51 74 125 7 365 11 26 0 0 10 0 542 9.4

then my fav comparison ...drafted 25th...JB's drafting sense failed on this one

David Pastrnak 

402 189 208 397 69 175 65 129 0 0 30 4 1,272 14.9

No one saw Pastrnak to be THAT good. That's drafting for you. Did anyone see Hoglander being this good?