The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The poultryfication of Jake Virtanen

Rate this topic

Dumb Nuck

Jake “the Duck” Virtanen?  

108 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

You are still super sour about losing Grabner still as “one of the worst trades in team history” that you are losing your crap over it more than a decade later.

This is very funny to me.  

Your entire argument supporting how bad a trade it was for us was that the player we sent the other way was immediately waived by the worst team in the league because he couldn’t crack their roster?  You actually typed that as your big “gotcha!” ???

hahahahahahahaha... you are going nuts about a 3rd line player who we sent out in a trade we won!

We won, Florida lost... by a wide margin.  The fact Grabner managed to be a 3rd liner in a later stop has nothing to do with the trade.  The two “roster” players we sent to Florida were both WAIVED by them shortly after... the player we got played an important part for us.

Edited by Provost
  • Haha 1

I was really hoping that the Canucks would choose Ehlers in that draft and said so on this board at the time. He was a +65 in his last year of junior which was by far the best in his draft class. I’m sure that Virtanen was picked because he was a local kid with size. Ehlers was rated much higher on almost all prospect lists.

Watch Ehlers in tomorrow’s game and try and picture him in our top six.

9 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

I was really hoping that the Canucks would choose Ehlers in that draft and said so on this board at the time. He was a +65 in his last year of junior which was by far the best in his draft class. I’m sure that Virtanen was picked because he was a local kid with size. Ehlers was rated much higher on almost all prospect lists.

Good point, I also remember a Canuck Army scouting article before the draft were it indicates that JV is a player that requires someone to drive the play for him cause he does not do well creating opportunities for himself & others.   Bright side: JV is here with a lower cap hit and there is no guarantee that we get a chance to pick EP & QH if we draft Ehlers. 

Ofcourse, he would look nice in our top 6 and the TT trade would perhaps not had been required but there some intriguing prospects coming, just in time with the teams' compete window..

Edited by ShawnAntoski

13 hours ago, D-Money said:

Umm... Not sure I agree with that. For his faults, Green has shown a remarkable ability to develop young talent (3 Calder finalists in 3 years doesn’t just happen, and none even a top-3 pick).

That said, some players just don’t work under some coaches. And even those that do need a fresh voice once in a while. It’s looking like the majority of the team does. So while I agree it’s time to fire the coach(es), I don’t think there was a problem with what Green had accomplished with them up to this season.

Alright, that's a valid point. But even so, I question how much of that was Green and how much of it was Hughes, Boeser, and Pettersson. Petey was breaking SHL records before he got over here, Boeser came in and was a breath of a fresh air to a stale offense. Hughes is a special player, while his overall performance was enhanced by being paired with Tanev, he'd have produced regardless imo. Green played a part, setting lines and allocating ice time, ect. But even so.

I recall last season when there were several people already on the fire Green wagon, I can't say I was. But when it takes Vezina caliber goaltending and career seasons from some players to just barely squeak into the playoffs.. I dunno. There were already question marks. 

Another bone head move by JB.  Signing Virtanen to a two year, back loaded, contract.  Rather signed Leivo to less than half. Or kept Stecher. Yet another player made untradable because of dumb planning, and some kind of expert "player evaluation" that Jake is still going to shine here.  He didn't "run out of time" with Jake because no one else was calling about him.  Plenty of time, and Jake not going anywhere else. Why not a one year "show me" deal?  Jake did not earn that second length of rope from a 2 year deal.  More wasted cap room for next season.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

I think the real question is. If we never pick this Virtanen guy. Would we pick Matthew Tkachuk in the 2016 draft? I still truly believe the Canucks thought they have someone already in Virtanan who can play with an edge. Thats why they choose OJ in 2016.  Oh boy were they wrong and it blow up right in their face. Virtanan is nothing close to what they thought he would be. Such a shame. He is worth pretty

much close to a bag of pucks at the moment. 

10 minutes ago, kilgore said:

Another bone head move by JB.  Signing Virtanen to a two year, back loaded, contract.  Rather signed Leivo to less than half. Or kept Stecher. Yet another player made untradable because of dumb planning, and some kind of expert "player evaluation" that Jake is still going to shine here.  He didn't "run out of time" with Jake because no one else was calling about him.  Plenty of time, and Jake not going anywhere else. Why not a one year "show me" deal?  Jake did not earn that second length of rope from a 2 year deal.  More wasted cap room for next season.

Yep... the team has suffered by the death by a thousand cuts disease.  Each contracts, decision isn’t record breaking awful... but most of them have been the wrong choice resulting in a large chunk of our rosters being players who wouldn’t be picked up if they were waived.

• Cheers 1

28 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

Jake was seen as a big kid who could skate, shoot and man could he hit.  All that left him when he started playing against men.  Who knew?

56 minutes ago, Crabcakes said:

Jake was seen as a big kid who could skate, shoot and man could he hit.  All that left him when he started playing against men.  Who knew?

Actually Craig Button did. He didn’t have Virtanen as a first round pick in that draft. I’ve had respect for Button’s opinions ever since.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Quinn Huges said:

I think the real question is. If we never pick this Virtanen guy. Would we pick Matthew Tkachuk in the 2016 draft? I still truly believe the Canucks thought they have someone already in Virtanan who can play with an edge. Thats why they choose OJ in 2016.  Oh boy were they wrong and it blow up right in their face. Virtanan is nothing close to what they thought he would be. Such a shame. He is worth pretty

much close to a bag of pucks at the moment. 

Hold on , how many pucks do you think we could get?

53 minutes ago, Schmautzie said:

Actually Craig Button did. He didn’t have Virtanen as a first round pick in that draft. I’ve had respect for Button’s opinions ever since.

And didn't Ray ferraro predict that he would only peak as a raffia Torres level? He certainly divided opinion 

• Like 1

Everyone please!

Just hear me out.. what if we were to...

Tar and feather Jake and afterwards re-name him as Joél Roussel?

He'd atleast break a sweat!

If that doesn't work maybe we could shave his groin,that could boost his confidence ..... maybe ...

hey, a 1/2 inch is a half an inch more afterall... 

1 hour ago, Schmautzie said:

Basically none of the pundit/prospect  lists had Virtanen that high.

Most had Nylander or Ehlers.

I did an in-depth on the various lists in another thread and compared them to Benning.

Button and Pronman did better than Benning overall.  Most were worse just on the basis of not picking Petterson where he was picked.

I remember thinking Virtanen was a stretch and we could have traded down to get him if he is who we wanted.  My pick that year wasn’t as good as Nylander/Ehlers... but I had Ritchie as the BPA when we drafted, and I take him over Jake any day now too.

Edited by Provost

4 hours ago, Provost said:

You are still super sour about losing Grabner still as “one of the worst trades in team history” that you are losing your crap over it more than a decade later.

This is very funny to me.  

Your entire argument supporting how bad a trade it was for us was that the player we sent the other way was immediately waived by the worst team in the league because he couldn’t crack their roster?  You actually typed that as your big “gotcha!” ???

hahahahahahahaha... you are going nuts about a 3rd line player who we sent out in a trade we won!

We won, Florida lost... by a wide margin.  The fact Grabner managed to be a 3rd liner in a later stop has nothing to do with the trade.  The two “roster” players we sent to Florida were both WAIVED by them shortly after... the player we got played an important part for us.

I bet you also think Trump won the election by a large margin.... Lmfao.

Ballard was useless, period. Why did we buy him out if he was so important? Did you even know he was bought out? Did you know Ballard wasn't even dressed for most of our playoffs?

You are becoming a bigger joke than I thought, Provost. You lost your argument and now you've descended even further to protect your fragile ego, by attempting to rewrite history.

• RoughGame 1

I’ve never been one to throw rocks at management over making a bad draft pick. Everyone knows who shoulda been picked at what spot 4 years later. Anyway, what do you do now? There are more distressed assets in the league that could use a fresh start. That’s the kinda deal I’d like to see. We aren’t getting picks, we aren’t getting a better player either. I’ve just completely pulled this out of my behind but I think Virtanen would be a great fit in Columbus. He plays a straight line game. I think he needs a coach like torts to motivate him. I’d like to see one of their D prospects that is kinda stagnant in developing but still has good potential. 

Andrew Peeke. He is a smooth skating, great passing, smart D man. I really liked his game when he played with ND. He shoots hard, accurate and Right handed. I think he could potentially be a great partner for Hughes. IDK, it’s just a guy I’ve always kept tabs on and believe he could be a solid top 4 d man one day. It’s hard to say what his value is. It can’t be that much. 

• Cheers 1