The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Brett Connolly, Alex Stalock

7 hours ago, Provost said:

Connelly, Gudas, and a 3rd

for

Virtanen, Beagle, and Baertschi

get it done!   :) 

We don't want Connelly 3rd - 4th line guy 28 yrs old last 6 yrs points.. We should not be interested in Connelly we have enough bottom 6 guys..

Florida  will not take these contracts back, no way Baertschi  3.4 and  ( Beagle 3 million x 2...

25 points -- 2017 -18

23 points -  2018 -19

27 points' - 2017 -18

46 points ' 2018 -19

33 points -  2019-20

3   points  GP 15  --- 2020 -21 season

Edited by wildcam

17 hours ago, HOFsedins said:

That's cool, who did you play for? I actually played with Milan Lucic for a few years.

Dawson creek Batman AA in grade 9 but we played AAA tournaments and NEBC Trackers Midget AAA in grade 10. He played PG cougars AAA and Caribou Cougars midget AAA. He wasn’t even the best player on his team in midget, there was this kid named Ryan Howse who was way better at the time but ended up being a total booze bag and threw his talent out the window. Three kids on the Caribou team actually ended up being drafted 

Edited by Steven Stamkos

1 hour ago, wildcam said:

We don't want Connelly 3rd - 4th line guy 28 yrs old last 6 yrs points.. We should not be interested in Connelly we have enough bottom 6 guys..

Florida  will not take these contracts back, no way Baertschi  3.4 and  ( Beagle 3 million x 2...

25 points -- 2017 -18

23 points -  2018 -19

27 points' - 2017 -18

46 points ' 2018 -19

33 points -  2019-20

3   points  GP 15  --- 2020 -21 season

We absolutely want Connolly if it means we can send 3 cap dumps the other way and get a cheap, tough 3rd pairing D coming our way too.

That was the trade joke.

12 minutes ago, Provost said:

We absolutely want Connolly if it means we can send 3 cap dumps the other way and get a cheap, tough 3rd pairing D coming our way too.

That was the trade joke.

Yes but don't think any team will take that kind of salary back unless  high picks involved...

12 hours ago, Provost said:

Connelly, Gudas, and a 3rd

for

Virtanen, Beagle, and Baertschi

get it done!   :) 

Connelly and Gudas for Virtanen and Roussel.  Gets Roussel off our books next year so we can fit Connelly under the cap.  BC boy who may get back to being a 20 goal scorer with a new coach in Vancouver.  Connelly would be great on the 3rd line and he could bump into the top 6 in case of injury.  Have Lind as your 3C next year instead of Sutter so the cap should work with Roussel off the books. 

Sending Virtanen to Florida would be a good move as it gets him out of the West and he can go work on his tan.  His career will die eventually along with his tan so we don't have to worry about him becoming the next Bertuzzi...

Edited by Elias Pettersson
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, EddieVedder said:

Id take Connolly in a second if cap allowed it.   

Oh come on, everyone knows the Canucks don't have any seconds left, just ask around...

regards,  G.

• Haha 1

Connolly would look pretty good with Hoglander and Horvat. They'd have to retain like half his contract for me to even considerate it though. Something about Florida is just a black hole dude. I dunno. Just feel like there is more to Connolly than what we are seeing outta Florida right now. Especially with it being a weird year with Covid.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

Connolly would look pretty good with Hoglander and Horvat. They'd have to retain like half his contract for me to even considerate it though. Something about Florida is just a black hole dude. I dunno. Just feel like there is more to Connolly than what we are seeing outta Florida right now. Especially with it being a weird year with Covid.

I do think there is a chance that being waived greases the wheels for him to be traded with some cap retention possibly.

I am not against it if we move equivalent money or more that direction.

They are well into a playoff position so a good trading partner to take rentals or even Beagle or Roussel from us to help with their playoff depth along with a younger guy like Virtanen or Gaudette.

Stalock revealed to Russo that he had myocarditis from Covid-19.  It’s an inflammation of the heart that can lead to cardiac arrest if the heart rate is elevated.  

He was asymptomatic and thought it was a false positive and that the echocardiogram would just be a waste of time - he also had some subsequent negative tests and felt just fine.  It’s cardiac screening that revealed the gravity of his situation. 

Looks to be the 2nd player on the Wild that was unaware how severely affected he was.  Rossi tested positive in November with light symptoms but recovered and was cleared to play at the U20.  He was completely shocked when he failed his medical at training camp and is now on complete rest with no physical activity.

Edited by mll

Oilers claim Stalock off waivers from the Wild

Sarah McLellan: The Edmonton Oilers claimed Alex Stalock off waivers from the Minnesota Wild.

Elliotte Friedman: Stalock will be reporting to the Oilers.

Michael Russo: “South St. Paul native won a career-high 20 wins last season; 37-30-11, .908 SV%, 2.77 GA, 5 SO in 4 years with his hometown Wild. MN gets 467K of freed cap space … and a $3,375 waiver-claim check from EDM”

Puck Pedia: Stalock will satisfy the Oilers goaltender expansion exposure requirement. While he is in quarantine, he won’t count against the Oilers 23 roster limit. The Oilers have $2.6 million in LTIR pool remaining.

Puck Pedia: After losing Stalock to waivers, the Wild now have $1.1 million in projected salary cap space. That would equate to a $1.8 million annual salary cap hit (as of yesterday) or a $4.6 million salary cap hit at the April 12th trade deadline.

Edited by Wolfgang Durst

5 hours ago, Wolfgang Durst said:
Oilers claim Stalock off waivers from the Wild

Sarah McLellan: The Edmonton Oilers claimed Alex Stalock off waivers from the Minnesota Wild.

Elliotte Friedman: Stalock will be reporting to the Oilers.

Michael Russo: “South St. Paul native won a career-high 20 wins last season; 37-30-11, .908 SV%, 2.77 GA, 5 SO in 4 years with his hometown Wild. MN gets 467K of freed cap space … and a $3,375 waiver-claim check from EDM”

Puck Pedia: Stalock will satisfy the Oilers goaltender expansion exposure requirement. While he is in quarantine, he won’t count against the Oilers 23 roster limit. The Oilers have $2.6 million in LTIR pool remaining.

Puck Pedia: After losing Stalock to waivers, the Wild now have $1.1 million in projected salary cap space. That would equate to a $1.8 million annual salary cap hit (as of yesterday) or a $4.6 million salary cap hit at the April 12th trade deadline.

I wonder how cap hit works with quarantine.  He doesn’t count towards their 23 man roster... but does his cap hit , or did they make a special rule for Covid.  Does he go on LTIR for his quarantine because he isn’t available due to health reasons?

That would be an interesting wrinkle in trade deadlines if you could pick up a player and not have a dollar of their cap get counted towards you take until they reported (and the season was over).

On 3/1/2021 at 3:16 PM, Provost said:

I do think there is a chance that being waived greases the wheels for him to be traded with some cap retention possibly.

I am not against it if we move equivalent money or more that direction.

They are well into a playoff position so a good trading partner to take rentals or even Beagle or Roussel from us to help with their playoff depth along with a younger guy like Virtanen or Gaudette.

Honestly, if Beagle would waive his NTC for FLA (he has to submit 15 teams, so it's likely), I could see a deal there. Despite Florida's success they're 20th on the PK and don't have that veteran type 4th line C. They're fairly likely to play Tampa in round 1 and will need solid role players if they want a chance in that series.

Would fit with Aqua/Benning's plan of retooling on the fly.. whether we agree with it or not it seems they're sticking to the plan.

Beagle for Connolly (10-15% retained) + a pick for taking on Connolly's extra year

Use that 10-15 to call up Kole Lind , let him play out the year

Connolly was acquired by Boston a couple months after Benning left, so he's probably scouted him before

Per Friedman he is on the market:

13. One name to watch on the trade market: Florida’s Brett Connolly. Panthers have started strong despite COVID postponements. Connolly’s been out of the lineup — although he’s expected to get back in shortly. He was a valuable piece on Washington’s 2018 Stanley Cup champion team. I could see a contender going there.

Miller - Petey - Boeser

Pearson - Horvat - Virt

Hoggie - Sutter - Connolly

Motte - Gaudette/Lind - Lind/MacEwen

Bailey/Hawry

Added bonus: no need to play Roussel anymore

Edited by Teemu Selänne
  • Cheers 1

Connolly seems to be in decline already, and still has 2 more years at $3.5M. Not to mention he's owed the full $3.5M in actual salary for both years.

But there's no signing bonuses, so I could see him just getting bought out at the end of the season. Would be a 4-year hit of just $1,166,667. 

16 hours ago, Provost said:

I wonder how cap hit works with quarantine.  He doesn’t count towards their 23 man roster... but does his cap hit , or did they make a special rule for Covid.  Does he go on LTIR for his quarantine because he isn’t available due to health reasons?

That would be an interesting wrinkle in trade deadlines if you could pick up a player and not have a dollar of their cap get counted towards you take until they reported (and the season was over).

CapFriendly already shows Stalock counting against Edmonton’s cap and he has to quarantine for 2 weeks.

• Cheers 1