The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 1, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Have you ever thought that perhaps Green was abducted by Aliens when he was young and was taken to another planet where he was held captive with really weird Green and Blue Sharks. And maybe he was returned to earth years later but had his memory wiped and now every time we where Green and Blue he is so traumatized he can't coach and reverts into a defensive shell because that's the only way he survived Aliens.

I don't know. Do you?

I always wondered what that glow in the sky was driving from Castlegar to Trail. I just assumed it was the Cominco stacks. Could have been aliens studying our best hockey players????

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I see your thinking and you could be right. Green had a couple of decent ppg years. Eventually he had to alter his game to stay in the NHL. Does that make him bitter or does it embrace the idea that a player has to have that awareness and flexibility? As you said we don’t know. 

Years ago we had my son’s Bantam team in Van for Provincials. Two of the coaches went to a lounge while I babysat? They end up meeting Rick Lee who was the Canuck coach at the time. They have a couple of drinks. Lee says bring the boys to the practice next day. Lee was a first class act and willing to talk coaching. Why am I telling this story? Not sure. Lee had a good NHL career but frustrated by the Laffer futility. His coaching time was almost up with Van. Lots of reason to blow my coaches off but he didn’t. 

Green played hockey in Trail before the WHL and had world champion SmokeEaters as coaches. Those guys were famous team players. I never heard stories of Green being a prima dona. I don’t know Travis on a personal basis but my family knows his family in Castlegar. Solid, down to earth, nice people. 

Fair enough. So you see, you have more insight into his life and family than I do. I'm sure they are solid people. I was just throwing the idea out there. 

13 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If Jake worked really hard. And made mistakes I could deal with that. Sadly there's lots of times he just doesn't seem to know what he's doing out there. (Something that seems to have creeped into the entire team.) If he worked like Hoagy I doubt anyone would complain. He just doesn't have that drive. Heck right now if I was the coach.

Jake go to the net and park there. You are going to take some abuse. But you are going to get better chances in front of the net. And most likely get some garbage goals. 

and so they put Jake back on PP2 but put Hoglander in Bo's spot netfront.

Jake is big, Hoggy is small, it makes no sense

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

I always wondered what that glow in the sky was driving from Castlegar to Trail. I just assumed it was the Cominco stacks. Could have been aliens studying our best hockey players????

Maybe it's an Alien two part coaching session. Kind of like the force when Luke didn't complete his training. Maybe all we need is for Green to get abducted again by the ghosts of Mars and he returns as the next Scotty Bowman, Trotz, and Quinn all rolled up into one super coach.

And of course ... in the offseason after his Jedi coach training Green cures Covid personally in July, erases the Canadian deficit, and pays the entire season ticket prices for financially unstable but deserving fans in all 32 NHL cities. Then to top off our Stanley Cup winning season Virtanen scores 93 goals to win the scoring race while simultaneously going on tour to teach our young youth the dangers of partying to much and balancing lifestyles.

• Haha 1

26 minutes ago, lmm said:

and so they put Jake back on PP2 but put Hoglander in Bo's spot netfront.

Jake is big, Hoggy is small, it makes no sense

I never understood this either, the PP is slumping so why not try putting a big body in front of the net? Go back to basics and cause havic in front of the net. Maybe we are too "Gentlemanly" still for that kind of hockey. ::D

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I never understood this either, the PP is slumping so why not try putting a big body in front of the net? Go back to basics and cause havic in front of the net. Maybe we are too "Gentlemanly" still for that kind of hockey. ::D

They like Jake on the point for the slapper and his speed for when Myers gives up a  breakaway ... also Hogs is twice the battler that Jake is. I bet he does better there than Jake would.

3 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

My thoughts on Travis Green and Jake Virtanen , If you take a wild horse and and whip it into submission thats what you will get a inattentive, submissive horse afraid to do anything and unsure of its place. Green has made Jake into what he is. The team as well as Jake is molded by Green. Fire Green and you have a different Team and a different Jake. If Benning cant see this then he is truly not the man for the job.

Ditto, JB probably has more context than us when it comes to this saga and he will have to decide which side his going to attach his legacy on.  As for the rumoured trade with Anaheim, I hope it doesnt happen cause the player coming back seems like a downgrade from JV.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lmm said:

no, there is still the trade deadline where we will give up assetts in a Hail Mary push for the playoffs

I suppose you are referring to last year. That one you can see JB’s good intentions to help the boys and the locker room at the time of BB injury since we were in the thick of the playoff hunt. Not a great move but you can give him that. 

but this year with the way $&!# hit the fan on a global scale the complexion of the finances of hockey deals changed. Looking to the future JB decided to let guys who  were a big part of our identity walk because of the long term deals and the ED implications. We basically made a bunch of unilateral moves to keep our team good on paper. JB mistakenly let go  of the wrong players. Stecher, Tanev, Markstrom even one of those guys brings Heart and soul value over players we kept solely based on potential but so far disappointing progression or Vets who are not useful to put politely. 

So all that to say If they are standing firm on not firing Green and the coaching staff, then it’s more likely that they will not be active at the trade deadline at least one can hope right. 

4 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

They like Jake on the point for the slapper and his speed for when Myers gives up a  breakaway ... also Hogs is twice the battler that Jake is. I bet he does better there than Jake would.

You may be right but what is odd is that Hogs is getting a TRY there in his first year where I don't remember Jake getting that same opportunity in the 6 yers he has been here. Hmmmmm.............

4 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

You may be right but what is odd is that Hogs is getting a TRY there in his first year where I don't remember Jake getting that same opportunity in the 6 yers he has been here. Hmmmmm.............

Why is it odd? He's better and he hustles.. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, EdgarM said:

That is true. I'm no expert but I've seen more I trust in from Hogs in his 24 games than I've seen from Jake in 6 years. I have no problem with that choice. I think it's pretty obvious Jake's skillset is limited and the coaches just don't see him as effective there.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

Do you need to be "Better" and need to "Hustle" to be able to plant your behind in front of the net?

This experiment with Hoggy seems like the failed attempt to create a net presence with BB; Mac would had been more affective but I assume the staff wanted to keep Lotto Line on our PP1 (?).

At this point, Hoggy has shown alot to warrant the opportunity and I hope he does well..

Edited by ShawnAntoski

1 minute ago, Gawdzukes said:

That is true. I'm no expert but I've seen more I trust in from Hogs in his 24 games than I've seen from Jake in 6 years. I have no problem with that choice. I think it's pretty obvious Jake's skillset is limited and the coaches just don't see him as effective there.

And there it is!!! He has been given certain opportunites because thats what the coaches think. The struggling PP remains the same because thats what the coaches think. I am seeing a pattern here. ::D

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, 'NucK™ said:

Well yeah.. hand eye, timing, puck retrieval... I could go on..

you remember Derek Forbort, right?

He of 3 cross checks and a couple of swings at Hoglander.

remember also that Zack fought Forbort and then the Jest laid a beating on Hoggy and no one stood up for him

now we are putting Hoggy in the middle of 4 defenders

I could work

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

And there it is!!! He has been given certain opportunites because thats what the coaches think. The struggling PP remains the same because thats what the coaches think. I am seeing a pattern here. ::D

Yeah the (mostly unbalanced) deployment and game day roster are still based on the coaching staff.

No OJ or rookie in the D core tonight; I wonder who sits when they struggle tonight.

Edited by ShawnAntoski