The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 1, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

8 minutes ago, TNucks1 said:

yeah him and bos chemistry is decent, might not do flashy plays and stuff, but he's solid out there for the most part

For sure, and like you say he isn't flashy, but I've noticed him making very savvy plays a couple times per game and I've been diggin it as he looks like the complimentary piece he was brought here to be.

• Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I agree on Edler, he still plays important minutes and sets a great example for young defensemen.

The way Rathbone is going he could see games this year. He might have the most upside of anyone besides Hughes, with his skating ability. Wonder if he could play the right side.

I'm mixed on Myers. I like having him but see an opportunity to get out from under the bad years of his contract. If we have Hamonic & Rathbone, plus an improved Juolevi, we might be alright. But he is a valuable player for us aswell.

I'm unabashed in my wanting to see Edler hit 1000, if next season resembles a full season and he can stay healthy it'll get him pretty close. He's just shy of 900 now, so he'll inch closer with each game this season. But yeah, he still plays important minutes for us and we'd be hard pressed to find a similar quality D for a better price than we'd get from Edler imo. 

Roll with Hamonic and Schmidt on the right side as top 4D? I like Myers, but I def see what you're saying. As of right now I expect he'll be exposed, but I don't think it's a surefire thing Seattle takes him. 

I agree Rathbone could be here sooner than later, he plays a game in the same vein as Hughes. Having him and Juolevi in the lineup also brings the cost of our D down, which is important given the extensions Hughes and Pettersson are likely to get. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, oldnews said:

meh. "D man" of the year = is a scoring race.  Philip Larsen....has also scored a lot of KHL points...

Tryamkin is the right kind of partner for Hughes imo.  He's mobile, he's huge and intimdating - he creates space - he has talent and the ability to move the puck himself -but he essentially leans to the stay at home side.

I'm not sure why you say he's been "inconsistent" - or suggest nvm the NHL - he wasn't really inconsistent in his time here.  And I thought he - conditioning aside - looked like a serious NHL talent.  That reach - and shocking resemblance to Lumme's dangles - was fun to watch.   And he's comfortable on his off side (if he were a RHD....!)

I really want to see a more mature, conditioned Tryamkin.

Just saying hes had some inconsistency in the KHL is all, which he has. For a 'young player' (if you want to still call him that) you'd like to see consistency in lesser leagues.

FTR I agree he has an NHL skillset, and I'd really like to see him too.

Maybe he is the right partner for Hughes stylistically, but Hughes also plays alot of minutes against good players. Tryamkin needs to be up to that challenge. My expectation isn't that he'll be ready for that immediately is all I'm saying. I'd like to see him come and give it a shot though.

With him & Rathbone we'd have 8 guys next year (assuming Rathbone is ready, which it seems like he's close) needing NHL time. Maybe Tryamkin could replace Myers if they let him go, but that's a risk IMO - Myers is proven to be a good player. 

• Huggy Bear 1

5 minutes ago, oldnews said:

meh. "D man" of the year = is a scoring race.  Philip Larsen....has also scored a lot of KHL points...

Tryamkin is the right kind of partner for Hughes imo.  He's mobile, he's huge and intimdating - he creates space - he has talent and the ability to move the puck himself -but he essentially leans to the stay at home side.

I'm not sure why you say he's been "inconsistent" - or suggest nvm the NHL - he wasn't really inconsistent in his time here.  And I thought he - conditioning aside - looked like a serious NHL talent.  That reach - and shocking resemblance to Lumme's dangles - was fun to watch.   And he's comfortable on his off side (if he were a RHD....!)

I really want to see a more mature, conditioned Tryamkin.

Some of the stuff that I read said he has been a minute munching machine.

They need someone to play with Hughes who can play 30 minutes per game.

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm unabashed in my wanting to see Edler hit 1000, if next season resembles a full season and he can stay healthy it'll get him pretty close. He's just shy of 900 now, so he'll inch closer with each game this season. But yeah, he still plays important minutes for us and we'd be hard pressed to find a similar quality D for a better price than we'd get from Edler imo. 

Roll with Hamonic and Schmidt on the right side as top 4D? I like Myers, but I def see what you're saying. As of right now I expect he'll be exposed, but I don't think it's a surefire thing Seattle takes him. 

I agree Rathbone could be here sooner than later, he plays a game in the same vein as Hughes. Having him and Juolevi in the lineup also brings the cost of our D down, which is important given the extensions Hughes and Pettersson are likely to get. 

I don't think its a sure thing Myers is taken either. But the flexibility might be worth taking a shot at. Tryamkin is still an option aswell as others have pointed out.

I'd love to see Edler hit 1000, he could come back on Chara-esque 1 year deal. Plus with our young defenseman we won't have to overplay him forever.

• Huggy Bear 1

If the Canucks are in a playoff race then Rathbone will finish the year in Utica.

If they decide to become sellers and can find takers then I think he could play. Other wise let him get groomed in Utica. He will play big minutes.

• Huggy Bear 1

25 minutes ago, Cromeslab said:

We won this game,step in the right direction if u ask me

we will have to see. I dont get excited or hopeful now since they win 1 and lose the next 4 to 6 consistently this year. Our longest winning streak was 4, with 3 of those wins playing the sens when they were terrible.

• Huggy Bear 1

17 minutes ago, Green Building said:

Yes for sure, he is an improved resurgent version of his rookie self.  

I'd like to throw an honourable mentioned out to Pearson as well. Early in the 1st he made a simple play where he kinda fake drove behind the net only to cut the dman off which freed the puck to pass behind and it led to possession and a scoring chance from the point.  

It was so subtle and smooth.

Pearson is an important player on the team. He keeps things relatively simple and racks up points time to time. Inconsistent in that area but he’s just a guy that you could play in any spot in the lineup. I hope there’s room to resign him for a couple years

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I’d love to see AE hit 1000 games here too but I think he would have to be agreeable  to a different role. He’s still a valuable player but needs to sign for significantly less and slide down the depth chart so that others like Juolevi and Rathbone can move up and get harder minutes. If not he may wind up like Chara and get pushed out. Hope that he does accept this and eventually retires a Canuck.

• Huggy Bear 1

13 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Just saying hes had some inconsistency in the KHL is all, which he has. For a 'young player' (if you want to still call him that) you'd like to see consistency in lesser leagues.

And that's a one-liner - which is begging the question btw.

• Huggy Bear 1