The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 1, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

10 minutes ago, appleboy said:

Some of the stuff that I read said he has been a minute munching machine.

They need someone to play with Hughes who can play 30 minutes per game.

I don't like the idea of one D playing 30 mins a game, if a team has an effective and capable D core no single player should have to play that much. It's just not sustainable for most players. Hell, I don't think I'd want Hughes playing 30 mins most nights.

7 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't think its a sure thing Myers is taken either. But the flexibility might be worth taking a shot at. Tryamkin is still an option aswell as others have pointed out.

I'd love to see Edler hit 1000, he could come back on Chara-esque 1 year deal. Plus with our young defenseman we won't have to overplay him forever.

I'm not counting on Tram until he's actually signed, feels like his saga has gone on forever. Regardless, we've got some interesting decisions to make regarding our D. As of right now Schmidt, Hughes, Edler, and Juolevi are the only guys I'd really pencil in for next season. Maybe Myers, maybe Hamonic is extended if Myers is taken. Maybe he's extended anyway depending on what he's willing to accept. 

Wouldn't be surprised to see Rathbone stew in Utica for another season. If Tryamkin comes back and we have to move a guy out that's not the worst problem to have. 

I think Edler comes back next season, and if he doesn't hit 1k he comes back for one more but as less of a focal piece unless his game really holds up well. He should be a 6-4 guy by that point? 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

I’d love to see AE hit 1000 games here too but I think he would have to be agreeable  to a different role. He’s still a valuable player but needs to sign for significantly less and slide down the depth chart so that others like Juolevi and Rathbone can move up and get harder minutes. If not he may wind up like Chara and get pushed out. Hope that he does accept this and eventually retires a Canuck.

If he's brought back it certainly won't be for 6m a year, and it'd likely be one year at a time. As for the depth chart, I dunno. I think there's a fine line to walk between allocating his ice time to others and making them earn it. It's not uncommon for the game of D to hold up well into their mid to late 30's. I'm not sure Rathbone makes the team next season, I don't see him being someone they rush. He's a valuable piece and they can afford to let him stew for an extra year getting a taste for the pro game. 

I don't see him playing anywhere else, if he had interest in that he'd likely have waived his clause a few years back when we were abysmal. 

31 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm not betting on Tryamkin being a top 4 guy. Maybe bottom pair to start. He's been inconsistent in the KHL, nvm the NHL - for reference; Mikko Lehtonen was KHL D man of the year last year, & this year he's only played 9 games w/ <12 mins Avg TOI for Toronto.

I have more hope for Rathbone than Tryamkin.

Edler is still an important player, he can help mentor Rathbone/Juolevi. I'd bring both he & Hamonic back. The challenge will be finding time for both Juolevi & Rathbone if Myers remains a Canuck.

Edler needs to go if we want to improve. Bringing old washed up guys til they hit 40 wont improve the team.You bring Hamonic and Edler, then we have Myers locked and Schmidt and Hughes. So where is the available spot for someone like Joulevi and Rathbone. We have the worst defense next to Ottawa in a weak Canadian division so I dont see what bringing back Edler will do to improve our D. Plus he is just too slow for todays game. Myers is a liability as a vet D, we dont need another. The sooner we move on from the old vets, the faster our team can improve. If I had to pick a vet D from last season to stay for mentorship, I would have chosen Tanev over Edler but its too late now and Benning is a real poor evaluator when it comes to these things.

• Sad 3

54 minutes ago, Bo fan said:

Not so many "fire Green - fire Jim" fans in here tonight

Happy they won - thought they played a solid game - and finally Hogs gets on the score sheet

Enjoyed watching the game

Can we repeat it tomorrow?

Honestly I will be surprised if both are here next season. Green is not the coach I envision when we want to take the next step. Green is good for developing young players but he isnt a coach that can win the cup imo. Claude Julien or Gallant seem to be more of the coach we need for this team going forward. Green did some good things, developing our young guys but we dont need that anymore.

13 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Edler needs to go if we want to improve. Bringing old washed up guys til they hit 40 wont improve the team.You bring Hamonic and Edler, then we have Myers locked and Schmidt and Hughes. So where is the available spot for someone like Joulevi and Rathbone. We have the worst defense next to Ottawa in a weak Canadian division so I dont see what bringing back Edler will do to improve our D. Plus he is just too slow for todays game. Myers is a liability as a vet D, we dont need another. The sooner we move on from the old vets, the faster our team can improve. If I had to pick a vet D from last season to stay for mentorship, I would have chosen Tanev over Edler but its too late now and Benning is a real poor evaluator when it comes to these things.

Yeah, time to replenish the prospect cupboard...  I would argue, that Schmidt might be a better mentor cause of his outgoing personality and (more importantly) he comes from a winning culture in Vegas (and might offer a different perspective).

Edited by ShawnAntoski

22 minutes ago, RogersTowell said:

20 consecutive is a bit of hyperbole.  Still, probably need 16-17 of 21, which is a pretty tall order.  Real Canucks fans right now are like:

So You're Telling Me There's A Chance | Jim Carrey | Know Your Meme

Yeah just being realistic 

we have not strung wins together and thats what needs to happen but it needed to start 10 games ago 

2 minutes ago, oldnews said:

such a horrible take.  

that has been answered too many times to bother repeating.

Not a horrible take but Edler is just not the old reliable Edler and he is slow. I dont hate him, I just see that our team needs to have some changes when we are the worst defensive team in the league. I bet you also wanted Sedins back before they retired. Sometimes playing the young guys can help the team improve. For reference, look at Hoglander.

8 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Our defense is leagues above either Toronto's or Edmonton's, who have 2 legit NHLers each in Muzzin, Brodie, Nurse, and Larsson.  The rest of the pylons on each of those teams would struggle to make the Comets barring significant improvement defensively.  Replace Baumer with a coach who isn't severely mentally handicapped and most of the issues go away.  Edler would be a very strong #2 on either of those teams.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

Not a horrible take but Edler is just not the old reliable Edler and he is slow. I dont hate him, I just see that our team needs to have some changes when we are the worst defensive team in the league. I bet you also wanted Sedins back before they retired. Sometimes playing the young guys can help the team improve. For reference, look at Hoglander.

Edlers looked better this year so far then last year imo, he's never really been known for his speed.

• Huggy Bear 1

9 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

If he's brought back it certainly won't be for 6m a year, and it'd likely be one year at a time. As for the depth chart, I dunno. I think there's a fine line to walk between allocating his ice time to others and making them earn it. It's not uncommon for the game of D to hold up well into their mid to late 30's. I'm not sure Rathbone makes the team next season, I don't see him being someone they rush. He's a valuable piece and they can afford to let him stew for an extra year getting a taste for the pro game. 

I don't see him playing anywhere else, if he had interest in that he'd likely have waived his clause a few years back when we were abysmal. 

Oh it would be way less than 6m and yes one year at a time. Juolevi is sitting now with this group so something has to give to get him playing time. I’m not suggesting Rathbone takes Edler’s spot but I think he’ll be up sooner than later. Throw in the possibility of Tryamkin into the mix and somethings got to give.

• Huggy Bear 1

49 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I'm not betting on Tryamkin being a top 4 guy. Maybe bottom pair to start. He's been inconsistent in the KHL, nvm the NHL - for reference; Mikko Lehtonen was KHL D man of the year last year, & this year he's only played 9 games w/ <12 mins Avg TOI for Toronto.

I have more hope for Rathbone than Tryamkin.

Edler is still an important player, he can help mentor Rathbone/Juolevi. I'd bring both he & Hamonic back. The challenge will be finding time for both Juolevi & Rathbone if Myers remains a Canuck.

Still don't understand the hype for Tryamkin. Is he even a top pairing guy in the K?

Suggesting he walks onto an NHL team and earns a top 4 seems so overly hopeful. He wasn't that great here. What's the big deal with this guy?

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

Our defense is leagues above either Toronto's or Edmonton's, who have 2 legit NHLers each in Muzzin, Brodie, Nurse, and Larsson.  The rest of the pylons on each of those teams would struggle to make the Comets barring significant improvement defensively.  Replace Baumer with a coach who isn't severely mentally handicapped and most of the issues go away.

This is where you as a Canuck fan seem to be delusional into thinking we have a great defense. Then why do we have the worst record for GA aside from Sens? Our record and our standings dont lie. Baumgartner is not great but that doesnt mean Baumgartner teaches players like Edler to freeze the puck in the defensive zone until the opposing player steals it or give the puck up for breakaways. Not to mention both Edler and Myers are slow D men which hurts our transition game or moving puck out of our zone. We have Tryamkin and Rathbone that will need ice time.

Just now, 4petesake said:

Oh it would be way less than 6m and yes one year at a time. Juolevi is sitting now with this group so something has to give to get him playing time. I’m not suggesting Rathbone takes Edler’s spot but I think he’ll be up sooner than later. Throw in the possibility of Tryamkin into the mix and somethings got to give.

I think what they'll probably end up doing is sitting Benn, he seems like the easiest guy to scratch. Which is unfortunate because Benn's been playing well, but like you said, Juolevi needs ice time too as he's the future. 

I agree Rathbone cracks the squad sooner than later, what a steal he's turned out to be. And yeah, if Tram comes back too that's great. Having too many quality D is a good problem to have, just means someone can be moved for assets. 

• Cheers 1