The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 1, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Still don't understand the hype for Tryamkin. Is he even a top pairing guy in the K?

Suggesting he walks onto an NHL team and earns a top 4 seems so overly hopeful. He wasn't that great here. What's the big deal with this guy?

He's an absolute giant who skates fairly well for a man his size. He brings a toughness factor, intimidates, plays steady defensive minutes, and he's got a huge wingspan for his stickwork. He adds an element our D core currently lacks. 

There aren't many players who are going to be keen on going into his corner for a puck. He broke Richardson last time he was here and he looked like he was barely trying. 

Edited by Coconuts

3 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

This is where you as a Canuck fan seem to be delusional into thinking we have a great defense. Then why do we have the worst record for GA aside from Sens? Our record and our standings dont lie. Baumgartner is not great but that doesnt mean Baumgartner teaches players like Edler to freeze the puck in the defensive zone until the opposing player steals it or give the puck up for breakaways. Not to mention both Edler and Myers are slow D men which hurts our transition game or moving puck out of our zone. We have Tryamkin and Rathbone that will need ice time.

Getting a coach who can get our guys to play a coherent system cleans up a lot of the problems.  All of our D are underperforming relative to expectations; the sensible solution would be to replace the idiot coaching them with someone actually qualified for the job.  If you think any of the Laffs/Soilers pylons other than the 4 I mentioned wouldn't make our D much, much worse, you're the delusional one.  You want Rielly or Barrie here given neither of them even care whether or not their play in their own end is acceptable for a beer league team, let alone the NHL?

Edited by King Heffy
  • Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

If he is good, why do we have Benn or Hamonic being paired with Hughes? 

because the hughes and benn pairing have been playing well together, hamonic has been alot better since coming back but still would rather have OJ in the line up.

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

I think what they'll probably end up doing is sitting Benn, he seems like the easiest guy to scratch. Which is unfortunate because Benn's been playing well, but like you said, Juolevi needs ice time too as he's the future. 

I agree Rathbone cracks the squad sooner than later, what a steal he's turned out to be. And yeah, if Tram comes back too that's great. Having too many quality D is a good problem to have, just means someone can be moved for assets. 

Benn is a 6th or 7th Dman so he should play less than 10 minutes. He is playing above expectations because we are bad defensively that we need him to be paired with Hughes. Now we have 700k Hamonic paired with Hughes. The problem is none of our 3 highly paid 6 million dollar D men are paired with Hughes and I blame Benning for the way he structured our team. I preferred Tanev over Edler for mentorship if we had to keep some vet D around. 

3 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I bet you also wanted Sedins back before they retired.

I bet if you read posts and responded to what is actually said - as opposed to speculating about what you think a person might have thought - you wouldn't need to create straw nonsense.

5 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Getting a coach who can get our guys to play a coherent system cleans up a lot of the problems.  All of our D are underperforming relative to expectations; the sensible solution would be to replace the idiot coaching them with someone actually qualified for the job.  If you think any of the Laffs/Soilers pylons other than the 4 I mentioned wouldn't make our D much, much worse, you're the delusional one.

Preferably, would also like to see this roster with a different staff before any trade happens and let most of the FA (over 30) walk or offer them a one year take it or leave it deal.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

On a night where there weren't that many headline earning hi lights, here is a list of little things nags i noticed.

Really thought Gauds looked positionally sound all night. He seems to have really bought in. he's a keeper Jim.

Someone mentioned Boeser earlier... he has come a long way this season. Even when things were crappy i noticed his battle level and quickness this season. Another solid game tonight.

Nate Schmidt has quietly been our best or second best Dman all season. He has the same foot quickness as Huggy. Not quite as slick but of the same ilk.

Brandon Sutter has turned back the clock. Our best bottom six forward this season by a long shot.

MacEwen needs to play more. This guy has Adam Lowry/Marcus Foligno/Josh Anderson DNA.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Benn is a 6th or 7th Dman so he should play less than 10 minutes. He is playing above expectations because we are bad defensively that we need him to be paired with Hughes. Now we have 700k Hamonic paired with Hughes. The problem is none of our 3 highly paid 6 million dollar D men are paired with Hughes and I blame Benning for the way he structured our team. I preferred Tanev over Edler for mentorship if we had to keep some vet D around. 

Benn is a 5-7, he's a guy capable of stepping up in a pinch which is what happened when Hamonic went down. Benn played just shy of 15 minutes tonight, which is what you'd expect. You ideally have a D core you can spread the minutes out more evenly with, playing guys more than necessary makes them prone to mistakes and injury. Not all top 4, or even top 2 guys are going to be 30 minute munchers. You only see a few of those throughout the league. 

Our defensive woes stem from coaching, as mentioned by others. Benn was adequate in his role last season, and played very well in Montreal. Benn was playing with Hughes because Hamonic went down, he's capable of playing his off side as I mentioned. We only have three true RD on the team in Myers/Hamonic/Chatfield, Schmidt and Benn are both capable of playing their off sides. You're not gonna play two LD together if you don't have to, which is why you don't see Edler with Hughes. 

I don't care what you preferred, Tanev chose to sign with Calgary. End of story. Teams work with who they've got. 

Edited by Coconuts

59 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Anyone notice how good Boeser has been this year even when he’s not scoring. His overall game has improved so much over the last year. That play on the boards to get it out then Petey with the empty netter. Beauty 

I agree with the first sentence - but not necessarily the second.  His overall game last year was very good.  it was merely his scoring (wrist injury related imo) that was lacking.

His aggressiveness, forechecking, his willingness to go to the hard areas, his backchecking - he worked his ass off last year (and in the playoffs) in spite of not being 100%.   I thought the signs were extremelty promising (while some folks wanted to deal him believing his best days were behind him.  It was how good he was playing and how hard he was working - in those aspects that were not necessarily his 'bread and butter' - that was so impressive.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

He's an absolute giant who skates fairly well for a man his size. He brings a toughness factor, intimidates, plays steady defensive minutes, and he's got a huge wingspan for his stickwork. He adds an element our D core currently lacks. 

There aren't many players who are going to be keen on going into his corner for a puck. He broke Richardson last time he was here and he looked like he was barely trying. 

Man, that was years go.

The game has gotten much faster since then. When you say "for a big man", this is where I get lost. 

Playing D in the NHL is a huge pressure cooker. I'm curious for sure but not hyped at all. He'd have to come here and blow a lot of people away.

We could definitely use more toughness but seriously, that wasn't a big part of his game.

• Cheers 1
  • Sad 1
  • Vintage 1

On 2/28/2021 at 11:05 AM, DIBdaQUIB said:

...and Greens  breaking down of another young player begins.  Probably see LE in the top 6 to replace him. 

yeah time on the 3rd line just destroyed Bo's career, he's finished I guess..  now hoglander is doomed to Bo's fate! Fack there goes another one, we're definitely screwed now...

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

On a night where there weren't that many headline earning hi lights, here is a list of little things nags i noticed.

Really thought Gauds looked positionally sound all night. He seems to have really bought in. he's a keeper Jim.

Someone mentioned Boeser earlier... he has come a long way this season. Even when things were crappy i noticed his battle level and quickness this season. Another solid game tonight.

Nate Schmidt has quietly been our best or second best Dman all season. He has the same foot quickness as Huggy. Not quite as slick but of the same ilk.

Brandon Sutter has turned back the clock. Our best bottom six forward this season by a long shot.

MacEwen needs to play more. This guy has Adam Lowry/Marcus Foligno/Josh Anderson DNA.

Great points.   Sutter has looked great and it conveniently coincides with the last year of his contract otherwise, ON THE ICE, he was mostly underperforming the contract or injured for most of it.   Ofcourse, Iam not discounting his off ice value....

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I bet if you read posts and responded to what is actually said - as opposed to speculating about what you think a person might have thought - you wouldn't need to create straw nonsense.

Ok you want Edler back but for how long he will play? 2 years? 3 years? until he is 40? Should we just have Rathbone in AHL for 2 to 3 more years when he can be NHL ready as soon as next year? Are we cup contenders now that you think Edler should be back to give us experience in playoffs? You have to look at the big picture, we need our prospects who are ready for NHL to be playing games in the NHL. Bringing back Edler, Hamonic, Benn and Myers locked up will just be the repeat of this season next year. I dont want to watch us miss the playoffs next season again with the same players. The team will never improve that way.