The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 1, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

You don't seem to be capable of a conversation where you don't fill in straw blanks for the person you're purportedly having a discussion with.

Who said anything about "until 40?"  Or even 2, 3 years in the future?   Cut the embellishment and the drama.

Benn is also expiring - and so is Hamonic - so save the assumptions/the straw - no one has proposed bringing back all those D.   I've proposed many times already to move Benn - who is nowhere near an Alex Edler - but at least capable of placeholding (and on his off side) when the team hasn't been healthy.

You'll have to consult your crystal ball guy regarding how long Edler will play.  That will be determined by both team need, and how long Edler can be effective. 

He is very effective presently - so I'm skeptical you'd be able to identify true decline - because you're prematurely expecting him to hang them up.   One year at a time.  .   

Proposing to load up an entire left side of youth - is premature.  You don't know if Rathbone is or will be ready, period.  The team already has a 21 and 22 yr old on the left side. 

Sorry - but I don't share the youth culture perspective - certainly not when it comes to peeling off the key veterans capable of playing hard minutes.  

If/when Edler is necessary to replace, then replace him - if possible.  Easier said than done.  And when you have a guy like him - a bargain - who signed an e.d. circumvention deal for this team - and remains vital to their importance - you sure as hell entertain the idea of bringing him back, particularly when his performance continues to exceed his contract.

I would say that trading Edler assuming he waives his NTC would be more beneficial to our team this year since he has good value and can fetch some high pick or good prospect. I see things differently than you. You value hanging on to older vet guys until you think they are not able to be competitive players. While I see things in another way where we trade older vets and bring in more youth to improve the team for the future. I dont mind Edler if he signs for 700K and we dont sign Benn. But I just dont see why we never have good asset management. This off season was brutal, when we let half the team walk for nothing. We let the Sedins walk for nothing but they retired at the right time so I didnt mind that. We were suppose to be competing with the Leafs for 1st not competing for 1st overall after 7 years of rebuild. I just compare Avs D to ours and wonder what we did wrong. 

3 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Edler agrees to be traded at the deadline to playoff team....   and in return the Canucks bring him back for a 2  yr deal. 

Not happening. It’s not even worth talking about. Been down this road before. Edler won’t be traded 

• Like 1

I have not so happy for quite a long time.

Congrat to the team, putting the whole 60 minutes effort.

Congrat to Demko, there is his first SO.

Congrat to  Canucks, 3 scores in the first five shots.

Congrats to Schmidt, Myers, Hamonic, Gaudette, all played good.

Keep this playing for the 2nd of BTB game.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm admittedly a bit skeptical as it's hard to know how he plays at the NHL level until he's back doing so, but there's an awful lot to like about his game. Even if he's a bottom pairing guy who plays relatively simple defensive hockey, that can still be valuable given his intangibles. 

And yeah, Eddie gets a bad rap from fans and he's been underappreciated for most of the last decade imo. I don't think some fans will realize how effective he was until he's no longer around. As it stands, we don't have anyone who can step up and eat the minutes he's eating. Maybe Juolevi does, but that's a lot to expect of a guy who will be a sophomore next season. 

Hey on the bright side, how good does Jack Rathbone look thus far? Could be a diamond in he rough. 

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I'm admittedly a bit skeptical as it's hard to know how he plays at the NHL level until he's back doing so, but there's an awful lot to like about his game. Even if he's a bottom pairing guy who plays relatively simple defensive hockey, that can still be valuable given his intangibles. 

And yeah, Eddie gets a bad rap from fans and he's been underappreciated for most of the last decade imo. I don't think some fans will realize how effective he was until he's no longer around. As it stands, we don't have anyone who can step up and eat the minutes he's eating. Maybe Juolevi does, but that's a lot to expect of a guy who will be a sophomore next season. 

Pietrangelo would eat all of Eddies minutes plus more while playing much better D but then that would mean no Ericksson, Roussell and Benn unfortunately <_<

Just now, Pickly said:

Hey on the bright side, how good does Jack Rathbone look thus far? Could be a diamond in he rough. 

He's looking like a keeper, another Gaudette style diamond in the rough 

Not the usual prospect you'd get out of a fourth round pick that's for sure 

2 minutes ago, Pickly said:

I love Jack Rathbone. I love our scouting team. We keep getting these diamond in the rough players like Hoglander, Rathbone, Boeser. I hope Rathbone can be given a chance next season.

1 minute ago, DefCon1 said:

Pietrangelo would eat all of Eddies minutes plus more while playing much better D but then that would mean no Ericksson, Roussell and Benn unfortunately <_<

You make it sound as if we're the only team who'd love to have had him who had cap issues during an unexpected Covid-impacted offseason. 

Vegas was one of the few teams who could afford his demands after St. Louis called his bluff and signed Krug. Hell, if not for that Justin Faulk 7x6.5m extension he'd probably still be a Blue. 

Just now, DefCon1 said:

I love Jack Rathbone. I love our scouting team. We keep getting these diamond in the rough players like Hoglander, Rathbone, Boeser. I hope Rathbone can be given a chance next season.

He will be on the team next season. That’s a given. 

3 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

You make it sound as if we're the only team who'd love to have had him who had cap issues during an unexpected Covid-impacted offseason. 

Vegas was one of the few teams who could afford his demands after St. Louis called his bluff and signed Krug. Hell, if not for that Justin Faulk 7x6.5m extension he'd probably still be a Blue. 

Still Benning not only wasnt able to have cap space to sign him or any major FA, but let Markstrom, Stecher, Tanev, Leivo, Toffoli go while having to put Ferland on LTIR just to fit Hamonic at 700K. Am just pointing out bad cap management.

Edited by DefCon1

4 minutes ago, Pickly said:

He will be on the team next season. That’s a given. 

He better be, I would be estatic to have another offensive weapon of Hughes mold on another pairing. Think of the transition game, passing and breakaways that create scoring chances. It will make the Canucks a more high octane team especially bringing Podkolzin to maybe help our 2nd or 3rd line.

24 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I would say that trading Edler assuming he waives his NTC would be more beneficial to our team this year since he has good value and can fetch some high pick or good prospect. I see things differently than you. You value hanging on to older vet guys until you think they are not able to be competitive players. While I see things in another way where we trade older vets and bring in more youth to improve the team for the future. I dont mind Edler if he signs for 700K and we dont sign Benn. But I just dont see why we never have good asset management. This off season was brutal, when we let half the team walk for nothing. We let the Sedins walk for nothing but they retired at the right time so I didnt mind that. We were suppose to be competing with the Leafs for 1st not competing for 1st overall after 7 years of rebuild. I just compare Avs D to ours and wonder what we did wrong. 

Again - I said nothing about 'hanging on to old vets until not able to be competitive'  - that's a generalization that is nonsense - not what I said at all.  Again - I've been proposing to move Roussel, Benn, Pearson for some time now - so try to look at particular things in context as opposed to making assumptions.

If the team remains out of it and Edler wants to be rented - then rent him.    That does not preclude bringing him back.  That could be a 'best case scenario' for the team - but the discussion wasn't really about whether to rent him or not.

The Sedins walking isn't really a comparable situation - they were far less tradeable than a (potentially) rentable Edler.

However, you may not be factoring in how small the relative deadline markets could be - literally 4 or 5 buyers and 2 or 3 sellers (depending on how close races turn out to be)  - in addition to cap hell reality league wide - could seriously reduce the likelihood of teams finding the right fits for deadline deals.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1