The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 1, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 hours ago, Devron44 said:

Not happening. It’s not even worth talking about. Been down this road before. Edler won’t be traded 

I'd be shocked too.   He's a veteran Franchise player and if he doesn't retire (which I suspect he won't) he'll be back on a year to year deal likely at a reduced cost - if he's interested.

• Vintage 3

9 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

I'd be shocked too.   He's a veteran Franchise player and if he doesn't retire (which I suspect he won't) he'll be back on a year to year deal likely at a reduced cost - if he's interested.

It sucks but yeah he's a Sundin. Those fools don't care about money.

52 minutes ago, Bell said:

My 70 year old dad said tonight EP40 is the best player this franchise has ever had.  He eats chit thru a straw now and likes bubbles but he might have a point.

Your Old man knows what he's talking about. EP is so brilliant. From his first game, you could see this kid competes with every fibre of his being. Humble too.

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

41 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

lol, we're 3 points out of fourth, people here are babies, whiners, and quitters ... thank Gawd I don't quit like this fanbase ... just hilarious, hate to see them at their real lives

In the end I'd love it if you are right.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chickenspear said:

Nah, Pearson's too busy showing them how to not pass on a 2 on 1. Sh***y long range, low percentage shots all day.

Trading Pearson is low hanging fruit - if we plan to keep him on i guess that makes sense to not trade him but that could backfire if we don't sign him soon...still a ways off before the TDL,  a month or so - the way this division is going right now.... well half the season left so who knows ...  Ideally we can and get a decent return (say a second and a c level prospect).    If we don't then that means in a month we'd have clawed our way back into a spot - and in that case we all know what that means with this group (yes we will be buyers)...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

It does change the amount of whining PGT...should be well into 150 page wise by now otherwise lol...

BLAH BLAG GREEN ... WAAAAAYYYY, VIRTANEN .... WAAAA ,,, WAAAAA ,,, BENNING ,,,,, GREEN ... FIRE ,,, BLAHHHHHHH ...... WILLIE ,,,,,, WAAAAAA nnnn-- mmmm JBBBBBB ,,,, WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA 222 CRYYYYYYYY ,,, WAAAAAAAA LE@1 WAAAAAAAAAAAAAA nylander WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA TOEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEFULLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII MADDEN is my long lost mother WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BAUMER <<<<<<<<<< BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO / WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA TANRVMARKYSTRETCHERLEIVO WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA - does that about cover it?

Little exerciese for everyone that hates the fact the Cancusk won so convincingly. Find 10 things you hate about the Canucks today:

1:

2:

3:

4:

5:

6:

7:

8:

9:

10:

points for speed and creativity

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

6 hours ago, Coconuts said:

The worst that can happen is he doesn't work out, but if he never gets a shot it'll always remain a "what if". Kind of like how we used to pine for Koltsov. 

Yeah, he's been due for a while hasn't he? 

Yeah, he's not a player I expect a ton of offense out of but he can certainly do the things you've mentioned. But that being said, he skates well and has good puck skills, maybe he'll surprise? 

Tofu's numbers are def inflated by the games against us. The reality is that hockey fans being hockey fans, there was always going to be a portion of the Canucks fanbase wringing their hands if Tofu went on to have success elsewhere. It was just made worse by the fact that he played well against us of all teams. He admittedly hasn't done a ton offensively during games that haven't been against us. 

I would have liked to have retained him, but it just didn't work out that way. 

Agreed on Stecher, I really liked him. Heart of a lion, always gave his all. But yeah, this team can only carry so many smaller D. 

It's easy to criticize contracts in hindsight, that's the beauty and curse of hindsight. If we could we'd go back and never sign Loui, but nobody in the hockey world saw him falling off as hard as he had. He had a history of being very productive in Dallas, and performed at a slightly lesser rate in Boston but still produced. People pointed at his international play with the twins, figured he'd be a great fit. Obviously it hasn't worked out that way, but to point back at his contract as if it was a no brainer not to sign him at the time is silly. 

I was more miffed by the second round pick tbh, I don't think Madden will amount to much of anything. But yeah, that's a price I'd happily pay again. 

I'm not sure what to expect tbh. Pearson's made it known he'd like to stay, but I could see him shipped out if there's a good offer. Maybe Benn too, or even Sutter. Though I'm honestly okay with the idea of extending Sutter at a lesser rate on a short term deal, he's a solid 3 who'd likely have better numbers if our bottom six could contribute more offensively. Gaudette and Jake taking such big steps back really hurt us when it comes to depth scoring, losing Motte to injury didn't help either given the start he had. I think you've gotta look at Sutter in that context. 

Marky to Demko is a step back, certainly, though Demko's further along at his age than Marky was. People forget how we were able to sneak Marky down to Utica and basically help him rebuild his game, he didn't come to Vancouver as the goaltender we let walk. Would we be in a playoff race with Marky in net? Probably not if he had to face the same defensive breakdowns Holtby and Demko suffered behind earlier in the season. 

If the deal for Tanev was shorter I'd have happily welcomed it, but four was too much. Too much commitment to a guy who's been historically unable to stay healthy. 

And fair, I forgot about Fanta tbh. Shame, I was hoping he'd find NHL work as he was a good depth piece. His playoff performance impressed me. 

I was hoping we'd retain Leivo tbh, but he was a depth piece. A depth piece that worked here, but a depth piece nonetheless. I don't see him as much of a loss. 

Agreed on Tofu. It's important to view contracts through the context in which they were signed, but that doesn't change the fact that having too much bloat in our bottom six got in the way of retaining Toffoli. I mean, all it'd take is not having one Loui Eriksson, but nobody predicted he'd fall off as hard as he did. Re-upping Jake hasn't looked great either, I thought he might take a step back but I didn't think it'd be quite this big. Same goes for Gaudette, though I think he'll be able to work through it. Getting a couple points against the Jets might help. 

I was really hoping we'd sign Holtby and was happy when we did, I think he's been pretty solid for the most part. It's just.. earlier on in the season our defense was in shambles. I mean, that happened against Edmonton too. We need better coaching and systems, our players are better than they showed early on. I view Holtby's contract as being paid for the luxury of having him as an expansion available goaltender, I thought going out and grabbing a guy who's won just about everything a goaltender can win at the NHL level would be good for Demko. And odds are, behind the scenes, it has been. Hamonic was a steal, I really hope he plays well during the rest of the season and justifies us trying to retain him. 

Sutter's doing well, Beagle's doing what you'd expect Beagle to be doing. Gaud taking a step back hurts, but I'm not sure he's got a future here as a center. Maybe he's better off sticking to wing? 

Rouss is disappointing, no doubt. He was full value during his first season, carried right over with his Dallas level production and play. Hasn't been the same since coming back from that knee injury, but that's a tough injury for any player to come back from. It's unfortunate, but it is what it is. He could probably be moved at 50%, the expectations go down with the price. 

Good points, JB will have some hard decisions to make in this coming off season. Hoping for JB, to get busy on the trade front.  

If it were me, the most I would offer any FA over 30 are one year deals or two at the very most.  As for Sutter, he would look nice as a coach but it wont be easy letting an NHL pay cheque go; otherwise most of our FA can walk and I would allocate those minutes to the incoming prospects - imo - but it is up to JB (& Aquaman) not me.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 2

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Bad cap management for sure prevented him from the ability to sign these guys - GOOD cap management is why he didn't - and as others have demonstrated many times, yes we could have kept all three.   At a massive cost to our future. 

The other thing is the cap was projected to increase ($2.5m or so?) and had the potential to rise to $88.2 million if the NHL Players’ Association maxed out the escalator clause in the collective bargaining agreement.

No one was expecting COVID to happen or the cap being set at $81.5m.   "It is what it is".

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Toffoli is the toughest one. He's a victim of circumstance & prior cap mis-management. 

Yes losing Tofu hurts but I think it was more him wanting to go to Mtl. 

He signed a pretty discounted deal super early without giving any other teams in the league a heads up. 

The deal he signed is leaving money on the table so there was no need to rush it unless he really wanted to go to Mtl and were afraid Mtl would pull the offer.

I feel like more than cap mismanagement, Tofu chose Mtl over Vancouver 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

9 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

You seem to argue with me for sake of arguing. If I say the sky is blue you will probably chime in to say it is not. You really think if we had cap space we would give up all those players? especially Toffoli who we gave up a 2nd round draft pick and Madden for. Please dont tell me or give me reasons to suggest it was a good idea to give up Toffoli and Tanev. Heck Benning would have signed Marky too if we had lots of cap room. This is the same guy who gave Roussel and Beagle 3 million and Myers 6 million. Take off the rose colored glasses and look around other forums and see what people think of our off season instead of praising Benning at every turn.

Ya let's listen to the experts on HF. Walking away from Marky, Tanev and even TT were the right decisions long term. If Benning had kept them at the cost of cap flexibility when the teams window opens, the Benning haters would have attacked just the same.

Ironically for his job it might have been better for him to do so. The next 2 off-season's sees most vet contracts expiring, right around the same time we will see what pieces need to push the team over the top.

• Cheers 1

Just now, CanucksJay said:

Yes losing Tofu hurts but I think it was more him wanting to go to Mtl. 

He signed a pretty discounted deal super early without giving any other teams in the league a heads up. 

The deal he signed is leaving money on the table so there was no need to rush it unless he really wanted to go to Mtl and were afraid Mtl would pull the offer.

I feel like more than cap mismanagement, Tofu chose Mtl over Vancouver 

Yes, Toffoli was the one guy I wanted to keep. However, what we don't know is maybe no one wanted Jake or Benn? (That's the other side of a flat cap other teams don't have space either.) Would you have been willing to get rid of some of the core players just to keep Toffoli? It's easy to play armchair GM. But you got to remember you have to deal with real NHL teams, and real GM's. I'm pretty sure there was a few GM's that was happy Vancouver had no wiggle room. And took advantage of this to pluck Vancouver free agents. 

• Cheers 2