The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Making the Canucks great starting next season

[proposal] Making the Canucks great starting next season:

I am of the belief that the moves I've suggested below will address our following weaknesses and then some:

1) A legitimate top pairing "defensive defenseman" that can be the 'ying to the yang' for Hughes, while also adequate replacing Edler.

2) A new solid 3rd line can pitch in offensively, be smart defensively, and supplement our top 6 scoring. 

3) More overall size and toughness on the back-end.   

Trade deadline:  

-Pearson for 2nd

-Edler for 1st

-Sutter for 3rd

-One of Hamonic or Benn for whatever

-Virtanen to Anaheim for Heinen

April:

Welcome Podkolzin!  (burn a year of ELC so that we can control him for a longer period of time during his RFA years with a longer and more favourable bridge deal....similar to what we're doing with Boeser and will likely do with Quinn Hughes). 

End of season:

-Replace Travis Green with Gerard Gallant

Draft day:

-Edler's 1st for Jake Debrusk (Boston can add)

-Our 1st for Sam Bennett + (3rd rounder? / regardless, Calgary adds)

-Eriksson and Rathbone for a 3rd rounder

-Gaudette for a 3rd or 4th

July 1st:

-Sign Adam Larsson

-Sign Tryamkin

Expansion Draft:

-Roussel exposed and claimed

2021-2022:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Podkolzin

Debrusk-Bennett-Heinen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Lind or Jasek

Hughes-Larsson

Tryamkin-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers 

Chatfield

Demko

Holtby (or Cheap Vet if Holtby claimed in ED)

Edited by DarkIndianRises
  • RoughGame 1

Well, to start..

- I doubt Rooster is very high on Seattle's list of our eligible players

- Neither Bennett nor Debrusk are worth a 1st right now

- Don't think Edler will be asked to waive and I can't see him doing it even if they asked

- Not sure if Larsson is the guy we should be bringing in as the partner for Hughes

I actually don't mind the idea of bringing in Bennett on the cheap to see what he can do as 3C here.

Edited by kanucks25
  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 3
Just now, kanucks25 said:

Well, to start..

- I doubt Rooster is very high on Seattle's list of our eligible players

- Neither Bennett nor Debrusk are worth a 1st right now

- Don't think Edler will be asked to waive and I can't see him doing it even if they asked

- Not sure if Larsson is the guy we should be bringing in as the partner for Hughes

I actually don't mind the idea of bringing in Bennett to see what he can do as 3C here.

1) You're likely right about Rooster

2) Doesn't have to be one for one.   Calgary and Boston add to make the deal fair.   

3) Edler is in the final year of his contract and perhaps the Canucks can make it known to him that they have no intentions of bringing him back, and that perhaps he could do the team a solid and go to a contender. 

4) You might be right about Larsson as I don't know him that well other than the fact that he's pretty good on the defensive side of things.  

Bennett - that's one of the reasons why I'd be interested in doing this deal even if Bennett clearly doesn't warrant a 1st round pick.   He would address a very massive organizational need (i.e. someone that can serve as a catalyst for revitalizing our bottom 6 with smart two way hockey....while being able to utilize linemates.)

4 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Jackie Chan What GIFs | Tenor

See the Forest for the trees:

Trading two firsts for Bennett and Debrusk (Calgary and Boston can add more stuff obviously) would be a steep price, but our 3rd line would be completely revitalized.   It would go from being a massive weakness to an outright strength.   

There's no way we get a first for Edler at his age especially when he becomes a UFA at the end of the season.  We'd be lucky to get a second round pick. 

Sutter is also a UFA at the end of the season.  We might get a third round pick but likely less.

The only player that I think might generate a second round pick (not a first round pick) is Pearson.  

I think you are a little too optimistic with your proposal.  Also, I would definitely not trade our first for Sam Bennett.  He is not that good and I'm not sure I like his "why me" attitude on the Flames.  I would definitely not give up Rathbone (we don't have many good young D man in our pipeline).  We need more Draft picks and not less if we want to build for the future.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, AriGold2.0 said:

image.png.f1d322931988c91f601011d0fcdb3cfd.png

New party member! Tags: golf tiger woods ea games ea sports not gonna happen  the rumble thats not gonna happen | Golf humor, Humor, Funny gif

Not that I disagree Edler for a first certainly is a non starter. I would add though Edler has been solid for us his stats don't really tell the story.

• Hydration 2

On what planet does Sam Bennett get a first round pick from any team, especially one from a team trending towards a top ten pick???

• Hydration 3
11 minutes ago, Pears said:

On what planet does Sam Bennett get a first round pick from any team, especially one from a team trending towards a top ten pick???

-Calgary adds.  Not just a one to one.

-A guy like Bennett would fill a huge organizational need in terms of making our 3rd line going from a weakness to a strength.  A 3rd line consisting of Bennett and Debrusk would give us one of the strongest 3rd lines in the NHL

7 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I am of the belief that the moves I've suggested below will address our following weaknesses and then some:

1) A legitimate top pairing "defensive defenseman" that can be the 'ying to the yang' for Hughes, while also adequate replacing Edler.

2) A new solid 3rd line can pitch in offensively, be smart defensively, and supplement our top 6 scoring. 

Trade deadline:  

-Pearson for 2nd

-Edler for 1st

-Sutter for 3rd

April:

Welcome Podkolzin!  (burn a year of ELC so that we can control him for a longer period of time during his RFA years with a longer and more favourable bridge deal....similar to what we're doing with Boeser and will likely do with Quinn Hughes). 

End of season:

Draft day:

July 1st:

-Sign Adam Larsson

-Sign Tryamkin

Expansion Draft:

2021-2022:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Debrusk-Bennett-Heinen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Lind or Jasek

Hughes-Larsson

Tryamkin-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers 

Chatfield

Demko

For one i wouldnt give up a third for  bennett let alone a top 3 first rounder we get hughes power or clarke. 

Secondly not sure why u wanna burn off a yr of podkolzins elc hes a rfa til hes 27. We sign him when his contract in khl ends i suspect we sign tryamkin as well. 

Thirdly why would we trade rathbone for a 3rd rounder  hes got 4 points in his first 2 ahl games and has top 4 potential

Also why would we trade gaudette for a late draft pick  like you dont trade your youth that your trying to develop you trade old vets so u have room for  youth 

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

-Calgary adds.  Not just a one to one.

-A guy like Bennett would fill a huge organizational need in terms of making our 3rd line going from a weakness to a strength.  A 3rd line consisting of Bennett and Debrusk would give us one of the strongest 3rd lines in the NHL

1st round picks are like gold. Why wouldn't we just send a lesser pick if we wanted Bennett. Do we just enjoy giving away first round picks so much that we need to throw one in.

• Hydration 1
6 hours ago, Pears said:

Could easily be a top 5.:o 

SB will be looking for a new RFA contract, as well.  There are better alternatives UFA's available in a similar price range.  My personal favourite is Scott Laughton.  Other good 3Cs are Wennberg, Janmark, Hyman, Iafollo, etc; with similar salary and no draft pick required.

My dream 3rd line for 2021:   Motte - Laughton - *Ferland (if he can)* or Coleman   Line can score, defend and physically damage the opposition.  Coleman could play on Bo's line while Podz gets his NHL training from Motte and Laugton on the 3rd.

14 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Trade deadline:  

-Pearson for 2nd

-Edler for 1st

-Sutter for 3rd

April:

End of season:

Draft day:

July 1st:

-Sign Adam Larsson

-Sign Tryamkin

Expansion Draft:

2021-2022:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Debrusk-Bennett-Heinen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Lind or Jasek

Hughes-Larsson

Tryamkin-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers 

Chatfield

Demko

You were doing so good until you ended up trading 2 1st round picks, one a potential top 5 pick for DeBrusk and Sam Bennett. If we trade a top 5 pick, it better be for a young NHL defenseman like Werenski or Byram. Rather our team who is great at drafting to use those high picks then to trade them for other teams failed projects.

5 hours ago, babalu said:

1st round picks are like gold. Why wouldn't we just send a lesser pick if we wanted Bennett. Do we just enjoy giving away first round picks so much that we need to throw one in.

Also what I dont get in these proposals is trading high picks when the only strength in this organization is drafting. We need more picks not less so trading them like candy will make sure this team is mediocre for many years. Hoglander, Podkolzin, Pettersson, Hughes, Boeser, Demko, Horvat were all drafted by our team and the rest who are mostly mediocre were  FA signings and trades. The only way for thisnteam to improve in the future is to keep high picks and draft while we still have a great scouting team. We already gave away too much assets by giving up a 2nd round pick and Madden for 10 games of Toffoli. The bad asset management will hurt this team if we keep giving up picks for band aid solutions.

15 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Trade deadline:  

-Pearson for 2nd

-Edler for 1st

-Sutter for 3rd

April:

End of season:

Draft day:

July 1st:

-Sign Adam Larsson

-Sign Tryamkin

Expansion Draft:

2021-2022:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Debrusk-Bennett-Heinen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Lind or Jasek

Hughes-Larsson

Tryamkin-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers 

Chatfield

Demko

Ok I’ll play

Trade deadline

when has Jim benning ever and I mean EVER been in sell mode and targeted just picks? Remember selling vanek for motte and jokinen? I like motte but everyone wanted picks and expected picks but didn’t happen.  so your more so looking at getting young players back. Not to mention benning shouldn’t even be in his position anymore. 

April
Podkolzin might not even be available due to the fact his contract states he can play for the world championships which apparently he is on the roster. So most likely not coming over this year. 

End of season

Benning better be the one fired and let the new gm assess green. Not greens hugest fan but what the hell is the guy supposed to do with the team benning has assembled.

Expansion draft

im going to put this one here because it’s the proper timeline order. 
but id like to see them go after a dman that’s going to be exposed by a team. Manson maybe if pesce is available guys like that. and expose myers hopefully Seattle takes a guy with money on his contract. but in all likelihood it’ll be like a gadjovich or some other young player making nothing. 

Draft day

omg our top 5 pick most likely for Sam bennett flames better be adding like 3 first rounders you are out to lunch.

if we did happen to add draft picks at the deadline I would like to see this team keep adding to the prospect pool lots of holes and need to keep the pipeline pumping unless someone blows you away with an offer. 

It would be just amazing if there was a strong move to rid any cap at all (roussell, beagle, loui, myers, holtby)

July 1st

i wouldnt mind going after a Larsson I think he will actually have to take a paycut. but all depends on the teams cap which doesn’t look good (Thanks Jim)

id like to see tryamkin but not holding my breath. 
Find a way to have an even competent bottom six and defenceman that can play defence that’s be great. 

21-22

miller petey brock

pod bo hog

? ? Gaudette

motte ? Macewan

?

hughes ?

? Schmidt

juo ?

?

demko

?

the ? Are players that need to be replaced

virtanen most likely traded

Rous beagle loui aren’t even good enough to play in the nhl. ya good for u if u can lose a face off or play the pk and get scored on or sit in the press box collecting money. You have to know how to play the game and all 3 can easily be replaced by players in the league minimum to 1.5 range and those players would be astronomically better. 
Myers I’m just not a fan of he is not good at anything he’s alright at a lot of stuff but just all around bad and he’s making 6 mil

holtby probably traded just hasn’t been great this year

Edited by Bure1010
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, babalu said:

-I don’t think a 2nd rounder would be enough to get Bennett.

-It could be a first for Bennett+ not just a 1-1 swap.  Ditto for Debrusk.

-I agree that moving two firsts for anything is generally not a good idea but the players that we’d get in return would be two young assets that would significantly bolster our 3rd line for next season and beyond:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Debrusk-Bennett-Heinen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Tryamkin-Schmidt 

Juolevi-Myers

That’s a solid playoff team for 2021-2022 is it not?

Edited by DarkIndianRises
10 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Trade deadline:  

-Pearson for 2nd

-Edler for 1st

-Sutter for 3rd

April:

End of season:

Draft day:

July 1st:

-Sign Adam Larsson

-Sign Tryamkin

Expansion Draft:

2021-2022:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Debrusk-Bennett-Heinen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Lind or Jasek

Hughes-Larsson

Tryamkin-Schmidt

Juolevi-Myers 

Chatfield

Demko

well well well...
like we say here in France, "il y a à boire et à manger !"

a lot of things i like, and some i'm not agree with.

Trade deadline:  

-Pearson for 2nd > 100% OK

-Edler for 1st > at max it will fetch a very late 2nd. but i pray we'll get part with Edler. 

-Sutter for 3rd > imo a huge mistake. we should re sign him for a 2 years deal @2.9M/y max. he's doing the little things rights, and sometime plays big.

-One of Hamonic or Benn for whatever > Keep Hamonic, you can already notice what he brings. especialy if we can't sign Tryamkin. ok with Benn.

-Virtanen to Anaheim for Heinen > Virtanen and a late pick for Debursk/Bennett.

> Roussel to who wants. 

April:

Welcome Podkolzin!  > 100% OK

End of season:

-Replace Travis Green with Gerard Gallant > dunno about Gallant but its time to let Green AND Newel AND Baumy walk. (i would love to have Bieksa anywhere around the D corp)

Draft day:

-Edler's 1st for Jake Debrusk (Boston can add) > we don't get a 1st for Edler.

-Our 1st for Sam Bennett + (3rd rounder? / regardless, Calgary adds) > we don't trade OUR early first. 

-Eriksson and Rathbone for a 3rd rounder > last year of Eriksson, 100% Utica ; take care about what we have in Rathbone, we should call him to see his real potential, don't use him as a sweetener.  

-Gaudette for a 3rd or 4th > Don't give up on Gaudette yet. but forget him as a C.

July 1st:

-Sign Adam Larsson > No : go for Hamilton.

-Sign Tryamkin > 100% OK, could even be our priority

Expansion Draft:

-Roussel exposed and claimed > Holtby first NEEDS to be claimed, Roussel second if he was not get traded.

2021-2022:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Gaudette-Bennett-Sutter

Motte-Beagle-Hawryluk

McEwen

Schmidt-Hamilton

Hughes-Tryamkin

Juolevi-Myers 

Rathbone

Demko

Backup

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

well well well...
like we say here in France, "il y a à boire et à manger !"

a lot of things i like, and some i'm not agree with.

Trade deadline:  

-Pearson for 2nd > 100% OK

-Edler for 1st > at max it will fetch a very late 2nd. but i pray we'll get part with Edler. 

-Sutter for 3rd > imo a huge mistake. we should re sign him for a 2 years deal @2.9M/y max. he's doing the little things rights, and sometime plays big.

-One of Hamonic or Benn for whatever > Keep Hamonic, you can already notice what he brings. especialy if we can't sign Tryamkin. ok with Benn.

-Virtanen to Anaheim for Heinen > Virtanen and a late pick for Debursk/Bennett.

> Roussel to who wants. 

April:

Welcome Podkolzin!  > 100% OK

End of season:

-Replace Travis Green with Gerard Gallant > dunno about Gallant but its time to let Green AND Newel AND Baumy walk. (i would love to have Bieksa anywhere around the D corp)

Draft day:

-Edler's 1st for Jake Debrusk (Boston can add) > we don't get a 1st for Edler.

-Our 1st for Sam Bennett + (3rd rounder? / regardless, Calgary adds) > we don't trade OUR early first. 

-Eriksson and Rathbone for a 3rd rounder > last year of Eriksson, 100% Utica ; take care about what we have in Rathbone, we should call him to see his real potential, don't use him as a sweetener.  

-Gaudette for a 3rd or 4th > Don't give up on Gaudette yet. but forget him as a C.

July 1st:

-Sign Adam Larsson > No : go for Hamilton.

-Sign Tryamkin > 100% OK, could even be our priority

Expansion Draft:

-Roussel exposed and claimed > Holtby first NEEDS to be claimed, Roussel second if he was not get traded.

2021-2022:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Gaudette-Bennett-Sutter

Motte-Beagle-Hawryluk

McEwen

Schmidt-Hamilton

Hughes-Tryamkin

Juolevi-Myers 

Rathbone

Demko

Backup

I like your thinking a lot.  My only issue with Dougie Hamilton is that....

1). he will likely cost some serious coin.

2) As good as he is, he’s not really a “defensive defenseman” (which is what we really need).

Very interesting ideas though.  I still think the presence of Sutter and Gaudette would make that 3rd line quite weak however.