The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[proposal] Making the Canucks great starting next season

6 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

I like your thinking a lot.  My only issue with Dougie Hamilton is that....

1). he will likely cost some serious coin.

2) As good as he is, he’s not really a “defensive defenseman” (which is what we really need).

Very interesting ideas though.  I still think the presence of Sutter and Gaudette would make that 3rd line quite weak however.

to be honest we may dont even need Bennett.
a bottom 6 of 

Motte Sutter Gaudette

Hawryluk Beagle McEwen 

will do wonder. 

9 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

-Calgary adds.  Not just a one to one.

-A guy like Bennett would fill a huge organizational need in terms of making our 3rd line going from a weakness to a strength.  A 3rd line consisting of Bennett and Debrusk would give us one of the strongest 3rd lines in the NHL

I’d rather just offer Lowry a decent contract. 

• Cheers 2

We are painted into a corner until we rid ourselves of LE,  rooster,  beagle and sutter.

Also SB contract, spooner and luongo recapture.  

Pretty difficult to continue to build this team right now as its very difficult to offload any of those contracts   there just going to have to run out. 

2 years from now we will see what we got and what our future looks like.  

If there's going to be a coaching change I say we do it now so the new coach has time to adjust into the team for next year.  

Hey Loui    could you retire please? 

If you at all give a crap about this team and its fans.  

1 minute ago, erkayloomeh said:

We are painted into a corner until we rid ourselves of LE,  rooster,  beagle and sutter.

Also SB contract, spooner and luongo recapture.  

Pretty difficult to continue to build this team right now as its very difficult to offload any of those contracts   there just going to have to run out. 

2 years from now we will see what we got and what our future looks like.  

If there's going to be a coaching change I say we do it now so the new coach has time to adjust into the team for next year.  

Hey Loui    could you retire please? 

If you at all give a crap about this team and its fans.  

Loui hears you, Loui don't care.

We should be in decent shape cap-wise next year. 23 mil expiring, then a loss to expansion, and then buyouts and maybe trades. 

I disagree on Beagle, he might be a bit overpaid but he's a solid 4C and not dead cap like others. 

Assuming where the Canucks end up in the draft I'm assuming top 5 but who knows? I would consider moving down if it meat extra picks coming back or moving Eriksson, but not moving out top 12.

Edited by WCE
mistake

Rathbone looks like a star in the making and you want to include him in a cap dump to get rid of Loui?  I'd rather suffer one more year of Loui's contract.  Also, this year's first for Sam Bennett?  You do know he's not 18 anymore right?  We were talking flipping Virtanen for Bennett, our first round pick this year might be the first pick overall!!

Benning has been accused of trying to retool on the fly and throw away picks, people want him fired for it.  Imagine if he gave up a 5th overall pick for Sam Bennett and used Rathbone as a throw in to dump Loui's salary.  Benning would need secret service protection to get out of town...

• Cheers 2

5 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Loui hears you, Loui don't care.

We should be in decent shape cap-wise next year. 23 mil expiring, then a loss to expansion, and then buyouts and maybe trades. 

I disagree on Beagle, he might be a bit overpaid but he's a solid 4C and not dead cap like others. 

Sutter too.  Still decent enough but overpaid 

11 hours ago, Pears said:

I’d rather just offer Lowry a decent contract. 

He has to be close to #1 target for JB next season. Won't come cheap (compared to other covid contracts), but is exactly what we need in that 3C position.

Gotta think the Peg will be trying hard to resign him before the end of this season tho...

19 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

-I don’t think a 2nd rounder would be enough to get Bennett.

-It could be a first for Bennett+ not just a 1-1 swap.  Ditto for Debrusk.

-I agree that moving two firsts for anything is generally not a good idea but the players that we’d get in return would be two young assets that would significantly bolster our 3rd line for next season and beyond:

Miller-Pettersson-Boeser

Hoglander-Horvat-Podkolzin

Debrusk-Bennett-Heinen

Motte-Beagle-MacEwen

Hughes-Larsson

Tryamkin-Schmidt 

Juolevi-Myers

That’s a solid playoff team for 2021-2022 is it not?

Bennett is not worth a first. He is verging on bust territory. Especially this year when our first will likely be a high first. I like Debrusk but I dont think it would be wise to trade our first for him.

4 hours ago, babalu said:

Bennett is not worth a first. He is verging on bust territory. Especially this year when our first will likely be a high first. I like Debrusk but I dont think it would be wise to trade our first for him.

-1st for Bennet + (plus being the operative word)

-1st for Debrusk + (plus being the operative word).

Agreed that a guy like Bennett hasn’t lived up to expectations but he’d be a huge upgrade over Sutter and Gaudette in a 3rd line C role.  

A 3rd line of Debrusk-Bennet-Heinen would likely be able to contribute regularly and consistently while also being able to play solid gritty defensive hockey.   While not ideal, I’d also argue that any one of those bottom 6 guys would be able to *temporarily* fill in on the top 6 in case of injuries.  

30 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Agreed that a guy like Bennett hasn’t lived up to expectations but he’d be a huge upgrade over Sutter and Gaudette in a 3rd line C role.  

A 3rd line of Debrusk-Bennet-Heinen would likely be able to contribute regularly and consistently while also being able to play solid gritty defensive hockey.   While not ideal, I’d also argue that any one of those bottom 6 guys would be able to *temporarily* fill in on the top 6 in case of injuries.  

Would he be though? As much as most don’t like Sutter the stats say he’s twice the 3C Bennett would ever be. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Pears said:

Would he be though? As much as most don’t like Sutter the stats say he’s twice the 3C Bennett would ever be. 

Yikes.    

I just looked up his stats and he's having a terrible year.      It looked like he was turning things around earlier this year but it appears as though that was a fleeting moment.   Perhaps he'd play better with better linemates (Lucic and Dube are his linemates right now), but yeah........probably a pass.

Going back to my main idea however (i.e. Edler for a 1st at the trade deadline + trading two 1sts for two players), the idea of trading two 1sts (for two good young two-way grind 3rd line forwards that wouldn't look out of place on a 2nd line incase of injuries) does appeal to me.    

We 

1) long term assets that can help the team as early as next season.......

2) Address one of our biggest weakness' on the team (i.e. lack of bottom six scoring to complement our top 6 + alleviating defensive pressure and responsibilities off of Horvat)

3) A future replacement for Brandon Sutter who will become a UFA.  

I dunno......

Or maybe we'd just be better off keeping the two 1sts and/or parlaying those 1sts into something different (one of which being a Hampus Lindholm type guy whom we'd then extend after July 1st).    

5 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

You don't trade 1st round picks to upgrade your third line. 

18 minutes ago, babalu said:

You don't trade 1st round picks to upgrade your third line. 

Agreed but there is something to be said about having excellent depth.  Maybe Bennett and Debrusk aren’t the guys to be targeting, but just having young cost controlled assets that can form a “2A” line (2A calibre players on a 3rd line) would be huge.    Like Vegas for instance.    

That’s more or less what I was trying to get at.

• Cheers 1

On 2/28/2021 at 9:52 PM, sockeye said:

There's no way we get a first for Edler at his age especially when he becomes a UFA at the end of the season.  We'd be lucky to get a second round pick. 

Sutter is also a UFA at the end of the season.  We might get a third round pick but likely less.

The only player that I think might generate a second round pick (not a first round pick) is Pearson.  

I think you are a little too optimistic with your proposal.  Also, I would definitely not trade our first for Sam Bennett.  He is not that good and I'm not sure I like his "why me" attitude on the Flames.  I would definitely not give up Rathbone (we don't have many good young D man in our pipeline).  We need more Draft picks and not less if we want to build for the future.

Coleman got a first last year ... albeit TB but i'm sure Edler as a rental would be hard for teams to pass up if a team got him 50% retained...mute point because i doubt he's going to waive anyways.   TT value last year was easily worth a late first.   1990-2010 there was little difference in a 22-23 overall and the entire second round.   Food for thought ... (not great odds). 

• Cheers 1

On 3/2/2021 at 5:47 PM, DarkIndianRises said:

Agreed but there is something to be said about having excellent depth.  Maybe Bennett and Debrusk aren’t the guys to be targeting, but just having young cost controlled assets that can form a “2A” line (2A calibre players on a 3rd line) would be huge.    Like Vegas for instance.    

That’s more or less what I was trying to get at.

Vegas this year might miss Stastny.   Stastny played 3 and 4th line at 6.5 ... he's for sure still a capable player.