The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Former Canucks star Todd Bertuzzi arrested for DUI

Rate this topic

cuporbust

1 hour ago, grandmaster said:

How about we just wait on more info? Bruce Springsteen’s case was dropped after they realized his blood alcohol level was way too low. Poor guy was demonized and a sponsor even dropped him before this was finally realized. :picard:

who cares bruce is rich boo hoo

30 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hardly. We are very soft on it. We should follow other countries with zero tolerance laws. 

5000 dollar fine and car is impounded for a month is steep and if u actually crash and hurt people you go to jail  bot sure how this is soft 

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

That's just not how things are done nowadays. It's judge first, get the facts later. 

The fact he was pulled over for swerving all over the road is a pretty good indicator he was hammered .....but sure. Anyways , ya dumb move , but still hope he gets help . Wgen people make mistakes that are stupid and dangerous ,  not saying people should excuse that without consequences,  but my main thought immediately wasn't as much about his punishment,  but hoping he gets help.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

The fact he was pulled over for swerving all over the road is a pretty good indicator he was hammered .....but sure. Anyways , ya dumb move , but still hope he gets help . Wgen people make mistakes that are stupid and dangerous ,  not saying people should excuse that without consequences,  but my main thought immediately wasn't as much about his punishment,  but hoping he gets help.

What I'm alluding to is a societal ill in general, cuporbust, and not necessarily an indictment of your posts.

Edited by PhillipBlunt

19 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Hope he gets help, although the bastard in me probably would have found it funny if he accidentally and randomly hit Steve Moore while driving. 

Marc Crawford then reads about it on his iPhone with a pretentious smug grin slowly appearing on his face.

2 hours ago, xereau said:

Never again, eh? Okay...........................................................................

2 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I’d say if you ever get a second DUI you should lose your license forever as you’re clearly a threat and proved you can’t be trusted.

People make mistakes. Especially teens and younger adults. Doesn't really excuse it at all, and it only takes one mistake to destroy lives.

That being said, I do firmly believe people that have multiple DUI's should never be able to drive again. And quite honestly, if you're 46 years old and you still resort to drunk driving, there's no excuse. There's all sorts of awareness around this crap, it's always on the news,  young kids losing lives. It's just plain ignorance.

Stay within the legal limit and drive responsibly.  

Edited by Odd.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuktravella said:

5000 dollar fine and car is impounded for a month is steep and if u actually crash and hurt people you go to jail  bot sure how this is soft 

First offense should get you a mandatory breathalyser installed at your expense plus some prison time.  Second offense more prison time plus permanent revocation of license.

If driving over the limit is illegal, but people do it anyway; why would not having a licence stop them?

If found guilty:

Fine

Licence suspended for  ?  months

breathalyzer installed.

Next time car possessed

by government, sold at auction

Licence gone for life

Jail Time

LARGE FINE.

3rd Time

Go to jail for 5-10 years

Edit:

All above based on no injuries, if people injured go directly to step 2, at the least..

Edited by gurn
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

A society based on facts would be a welcome change. 

BUT FACTS GET IN THE WAY OF THE OUTRAGE MONSTER.

People are addicted to outrage. 'Todd should lose his ability to drive, FOREVER, because he allegedly got caught, once, and, get this, he didn't even harm anyone.'

^^ if this sentiment is not total overreach, and vicarious tyranny, I quite simply have no idea what is.

Utopia begins with love, and not whatever it is this society has degenerated into.

Edited by xereau
  • Cheers 2

25 minutes ago, Bure_Pavel said:

Yeah hard to judge until we see how much he had in his system, three beers can put you over these days. 

Ya, but 3 doesn't usually doesn't get you pulled over for swerving all over the road. Especially if ur 250 pounds. Bloodshot eyes in his mugshot,  and swerving all over the road might lead a rational person to think it was definitely more than a few.

Edited by cuporbust

6 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

Ya, but 3 doesn't usually doesn't get you pulled over for swerving all over the road. Especially if ur 250 pounds. Bloodshot eyes in his mugshot,  and swerving all over the road might lead a rational person to think it was definitely more than a few.

Your signature gets me everytime.. well played move :)

Edited by drummer4now

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I agree completely with this. I really don't understand why we are so lenient on this in Canada. 

Well it is provincial and BC is decently strict in a few regards to it. I'd actually say there is as much an issue with the police allowed too much ability to impose punishment as opposed to due recourse. Penalties should reflect the level. Like if you're barely over a stiff fine and driving suspension but if you're swerving all over the road and blowing a 1.6 it should be crippling fine and long suspension while repeat offenders of any amount should be seeing multi year suspensions to serious jail time based on severity.  I just think it shouldn't be on the police to impose this but the Crown and/or a judge. 

• Cheers 1