The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Grrrreat Saveeeee Demkooooo!!!

Rate this topic

iceman64

During the Luongo stint, I often heard the announcer say "grrrrreat saveee Luongoooo!!!!" after some stellar save Lou made and then Demko showed up and I thought to myself after hearing JB drafted him, that's a damn cool last name for a goalie.. why? I don't know, just has a certain cool ring to it I guess.. and would it out dread into the hearts of opposition teams thinking "oh FUC_ it's Demko in net again!?" 

Well the Knights had a run in with that and I bet it went through their minds enough to etch it in deep"

Ok so the even better part I left to last is how Demko is all about the team, when asked by the media tonight on his thoughts during the game on his shout-out, his answer was it wasn't on his mind, that's something fans can be thankful for and then comes humility when he added he was "growing" into things with the team. 

I think in all the drafting JB has done so far, next to stealing Podz who could have easily gone top 3, Demko had my attention and although I was concerned with the concussion he had, he's turning out golden and I expect to see more of what happened tonight!

Congrats on your first reg season shutout Thatcher! :)

Edited by iceman64
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 3

He's a quality goaltender for sure, and he seems to be improving and becoming more confident as the season goes on. He stoned the Jets and did everything he could to help us try and beat the Oil the game before. I can't wait to see how he looks behind a better coached team, I think the sky's the limit for him. 

This season has been frustrating, but I still think we've got a bright future to look forward to with this young group.

Demmer is a beauty... He'll be here long term. Didn't realize he hadn't got any regular season shutouts 

As for great save Luongo or other lines Hughson and shorty used to say... 

Haven't heard Shorthouse in 2020 or 2021 make a great comment after a Demko save... He's been negative as heck as he's gotten older. 

He shows 0 excitement when our goalies make a save, players score, hits, etc... But he shows more excitement when the away team scores on us... Brutal. Only home town commentator that is like this... 

Miss the old young shorthouse who had excitement in his voice and didn't have OCD over making the rest of the country like him because he's so "impartial" and cheers for the other teams lol 

Hes also very disrespectful to John Garret imo... Guy didn't play a lick in the nhl and ridicules garrett all the time when he's calling out brutal dives or bad penalties against us. 

Anyways I digress... Long live Demmer! 

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

A Demko appreciation thread. I love it.

Totally agree about his name. I was so stoked when he finally got the call a couple years ago. Was very excited about him when we snagged him in the draft too. 

One of my favourite things is Calgary took Mason McDonald 2 spot ahead of Demko in the draft which was a head scratcher. He’s played in the ECHL the last 3 or 4 seasons.

I think it also worth mentioning his development has been stellar by Canucks management. Didn’t rush him. 

58 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

The commentator is Jim Hughson and he was especially notable for GREAT SAVE CLOUTIERRRRR.

I use to say that when I was in net and made a big save and my friends were like "Why do you always say it like that" :P 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

That reminds me of the old EA NHL games.

I learned just about everything I know about hockey when my parents bought me a bootlegged disk of NHL 99 for PC. ;)

Hughson's "grrrrreat saveeeee ________" got me so fired up every time.

22 hours ago, VegasCanuck said:

Has anyone else noticed that Markstrom (Currently on IR), has a save percentage of .909 vs Demko is at .0907?

Not bad, considering how bad the Canucks have been defensively through the first half of the season.

Markstrom on IR = not surprising.   His body appears to be breaking down and Benning was smart to move on from him.   

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, nergish said:

That reminds me of the old EA NHL games.

I learned just about everything I know about hockey when my parents bought me a bootlegged disk of NHL 99 for PC. ;)

Hughson's "grrrrreat saveeeee ________" got me so fired up every time.

My favorite announcer of all time is still Mike Emerick but Hughson might be my 2nd.  Likely a four way tie between him, Bob Cole, Chris Cuthbert, and Jim Robson.

Luongo had some classics thanks to some crazy colour commentary at the time, "Bingo bango bongo his name is Roberto Luongo" was probably the best. Demko might end up with some great ones over his career, listening to him save almost everything in the last playoffs against Vegas had an eerily similar ring to it, shame this season didn't start quite the same but I think we're going to hear a lot more of that and Demko will be the starter for this team for the next decade.

4 hours ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Markstrom on IR = not surprising.   His body appears to be breaking down and Benning was smart to move on from him.   

I agree, I think Calgary is going to be regretting that contract in a couple of years.

On 3/2/2021 at 10:42 AM, Dazzle said:

The commentator is Jim Hughson and he was especially notable for GREAT SAVE CLOUTIERRRRR.

Well...

It's probably 'notable' because he didn't say it a lot.

Because Cloutier.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, brownky said:

Well...

It's probably 'notable' because he didn't say it a lot.

Because Cloutier.

Sometimes the hate on CDC is just so irrational. Clouter had some great seasons.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 1

23 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Sometimes the hate on CDC is just so irrational. Clouter had some great seasons.

I'm aware.

He didn't make one really easy one, and it probably cost us a cup run.

So it's not 'hate', it's more of "easy target for a joke".

• Cheers 1