The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 2, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

Just now, ShawnAntoski said:

Hopefully or (local kid) Kent Johnson but Hughes seems to be moving up...

Please no more local kids. We already have virtanen and thats enough. They should try to get Powers if they can. I wouldnt mind Hughes either.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

He has a trash lineup, can only squeeze so much blood from a stone.  People crapped on our former coaches and assistant coaches too, they've gone on to win Stanley Cups and coach of the year awards when given quality teams to work with. 

Ya... tough to win with a large portion of the roster comprised of players that could be waived without being picked up.

I am not a massive Green fan, but it is the GM that has to go now.  Let the new GM assess Green and pick his own coach.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

I didn't say that Benning doesn't deserve blame. But the coach who makes questionable coaching decisions SHOULD be held to some responsibility as well.

Yup. I'd agree. I wasn't trying to be standoffish, I just can't stand the straw man argument.

I would say that the biggest faults in Green's system are spearheaded by the assistant coaches under his direct order. I agree the buck stops at him, but the special teams has been horrific, and our defencive system is predictable and poor. I don't believe Green is a bad coach, I just think he hasn't set himself up for success. We should have kept Malholtra and gotten rid of Brown, and then shopped around for a real defencive veteran for assistant coach.

• Cheers 1

Just now, DefCon1 said:

Please no more local kids. We already have virtanen and thats enough. They should try to get Powers if they can. I wouldnt mind Hughes either.

KJ will look good with the core - imo - but I understand the apprehension with a local kid.  Regardless, BPA all the way

1 minute ago, Provost said:

Ya... tough to win with a large portion of the roster comprised of players that could be waived without being picked up.

I am not a massive Green fan, but it is the GM that has to go now.  Let the new GM assess Green and pick his own coach.

Clean house, and put in the company man Smyl in as a coach/GM for the remainder of the season.

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I didn't say that Benning doesn't deserve blame. But the coach who makes questionable coaching decisions SHOULD be held to some responsibility as well.

Ok everyone knows the coaching is bad. But the GM shares equal blame, if not more for hiring said coaches and giving assistant coaches like Baumgartner extensions<_<

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, xereau said:

Clean house, and put in the company man Smyl in as a coach/GM for the remainder of the season.

Yes, I'm afraid cleaning house is a necessity. It's pretty clear that Green's not going to be extended, and the assistant coaches should be relieved. Benning might get reassigned to head of scouting or something. Maybe Weisbrod will step in as GM.

3 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Sorry Bree but if that is true then that is an indictment of Green. He can take all the input he wants from Clarke but the lineup is his responsibility.

And if they rode Demko to injury, what would you all be saying then? Probably the same thing as last year that Green should have known better and given the backup more icetime. You don't have to look far for this rational. Every other team has been using backup goalies more and more in this condensed season, including tonights opposition.

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

At this rate Vancouver may be the only franchise that does not need to limit fans in the stands 

Try being a Buffalo fan right now with all that 1st OA's and there no better than us - yikes !

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Eriksson absolutely deserved 6 million at the time of his signing. Was it the right signing for the Canucks in hindsight? Clearly no.

Beagle wasn't overpaid by 2 million - that's a huge exaggeration.

And I will bring it back to the depth issue - we literally had no reliable depth when Benning took over. I'm not saying that Benning should be excused on this matter, but this situation should be taken into some consideration. Gillis did a lot more damage to this team than one would realize.

Also, it doesn't help that the Canucks used rookie coaches throughout this time. WD had one good season. So did Green last season. But their flaws were pretty well exposed, particularly WD's overplaying of veteran and fringe players...

IMO, Gillis should deserve more blame for this mess. No prospects/prospect development. No identity. Maybe the owner deserves blame for trying to cling onto the last playoff run, even though the Sedins did not have a replacement.

Could not stand Gillis and he fired AV !!!

jb’s biggest mistake was hiring Willie and Green 

2 minutes ago, Deets said:

Yup. I'd agree. I wasn't trying to be standoffish, I just can't stand the straw man argument.

I would say that the biggest faults in Green's system are spearheaded by the assistant coaches under his direct order. I agree the buck stops at him, but the special teams has been horrific, and our defencive system is predictable and poor. I don't believe Green is a bad coach, I just think he hasn't set himself up for success. We should have kept Malholtra and gotten rid of Brown, and then shopped around for a real defencive veteran for assistant coach.

Well this also falls on Benning for extending the contracts of assistant coaches for a mediocre job instead of replacing them with Malhotra. This management has let great players and staff go and has kept the mediocre ones. All falls under Benning and he needs to be fired for those decisions.

• Cheers 3

5 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

We could have had coach Q 

we could have had DeBoer

we could have Gallant and now may lose out on him

but Green is still here .... 4 years under 500 

We need to give him at least 10 more seasons to see what he can do...