The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 2, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Yes, I'm afraid cleaning house is a necessity. It's pretty clear that Green's not going to be extended, and the assistant coaches should be relieved. Benning might get reassigned to head of scouting or something. Maybe Weisbrod will step in as GM.

OMG I wont watch the Canucks if Weisbrod gets to become a GM. That guy is even worst than Benning. Aquaman should just clean house top to bottom and hire Rutherford or Futa. Heck I dont even mind Gillis at this point.

Edited by DefCon1
  • Cheers 1

Just now, DefCon1 said:

OMG I wont watch the Canucks if Weisbrod gets to become a GM. That guy is even worst than Benning. Aquaman should just clean house top to bottom and hire Rutherford or Futa. Heck I dont even mind Gillis at this point.

Yeah  Weisbrod seems like a corporate rat...

6 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Yes, like signing those players to bloated contracts made so much sense. Its because of this logic why we are where we are now. I knew Myers was overrated because Jets fans warned me. I knew Holtby was not going to be a savior because of his stats. I knew Beagle was overpaid by 2 million right when we signed him, same as Roussell. Problem is that Benning cant identify which players are declining. I will say that Ericksson was a surprise in terms of how he badly declined but the rest of the signings are just unforgiveable especially when he lets go of players that actually care and are key players for this teams success.

Yes... there is a reason we got those players.. no one else wanted to sign them for that money or term.

It isn’t revisionist history when many folks were  worried about those contracts when they happened.

Eriksson is a bit of a pass even though he is the worst contract.  It was a well received move and pretty much everyone thought he would fit with the Sedins.  It was still obviously the wrong decision, and he should know better than we do.

Beagle, Ferland, Myers and Holtby were all contracts that a lot of folks cringed at when they were signed.  

Roussel was fairly well received when he signed, but also hasn’t worked out.

Any one or two of them you can live with... every team has a player or two on a bad contract.  It is the sum total of so many of them that is the really ugly part for us.  The exact same mistake over and over. 

10 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Eriksson absolutely deserved 6 million at the time of his signing. Was it the right signing for the Canucks in hindsight? Clearly no.

Beagle wasn't overpaid by 2 million - that's a huge exaggeration.

And I will bring it back to the depth issue - we literally had no reliable depth when Benning took over. I'm not saying that Benning should be excused on this matter, but this situation should be taken into some consideration. Gillis did a lot more damage to this team than one would realize.

Also, it doesn't help that the Canucks used rookie coaches throughout this time. WD had one good season. So did Green last season. But their flaws were pretty well exposed, particularly WD's overplaying of veteran and fringe players...

IMO, Gillis should deserve more blame for this mess. No prospects/prospect development. No identity. Maybe the owner deserves blame for trying to cling onto the last playoff run, even though the Sedins did not have a replacement.

You can make all the excuses for Benning but he is no different than Chiarelli. Look around HFboards and other forums and see what other fans think of Benning instead of your narrow point of view of him. Benning should not be signing vets to big contracts when the team had cap space. He targeted the wrong vets and signed the wrong FAs. In fact Burke talked about how most FA signings dont work well and you usually get good players through trades. I give credit to Benning for the draft and picking some gems but he is out of his depth when it comes to everything else. But keep defending Benning until he gets fired this off season.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

I (hope) we are safe that if Benning goes, so does Weisbrod.  They are a joint cabal there making decisions and the ones that have been pushing out other voices.

This season it is time to bring in a Presdient, fire Benning and Weisbrod... have the President and an interim internal GM to run the rest of the season.  I have been beating the drum on a guy like Larionov for team President .  We need a hockey guy that will get instant respect around the league.

Pick a new GM in the offseason when there are a bunch more choices.  

If we need to fire the coach, don’t hire a new one... just let Smyl or someone have an interim tag until the end of the season when a new GM can pick their own coach.

7 minutes ago, Deets said:

And if they rode Demko to injury, what would you all be saying then? Probably the same thing as last year that Green should have known better and given the backup more icetime. You don't have to look far for this rational. Every other team has been using backup goalies more and more in this condensed season, including tonights opposition.

Demko has played 15 games so far. There are 15 goalies who have played 15 games or more right now. Assuming the team is trying to make the playoffs, (at least that’s what they are saying for public consumption) going on a good long hot streak is a must. Playing back to back games after 3 days off is not too much to ask of a younger goalie. 

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, timmylu1 said:

Blaming the refs for our loses is an embarrassment 

Did I blame them for the loss?  

I just made an observation because....they sucked.  But thanks for coming out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

Gilman or Futa for GM

Gallant for coach 

I wouldnt mind that. At least Gilman is better at Benning when it comes to the salary cap. Maybe Futa as GM and Gilman as an assistant GM. As long as they get rid of Benning and Weisbrod.

19 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Eriksson absolutely deserved 6 million at the time of his signing. Was it the right signing for the Canucks in hindsight? Clearly no.

What are you smoking? Loui had two 30 goal seasons in his entire career. One of which was in 2009 and the other one was in his last season in Boston before joining the Canucks. Between those two seasons he had quite a few 10G seasons.   He was making $4.25 on his previous contract. 1 good season in the previous half dozen  warrants a $2m raise in your view?  

You got any job openings cuz I wanna come work for you. ::D

Edited by CptCanuck16
  • Cheers 2

4 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

You can make all the excuses for Benning but he is no different than Chiarelli. Look around HFboards and other forums and see what other fans think of Benning instead of your narrow point of view of him. Benning should not be signing vets to big contracts when the team had cap space. He targeted the wrong vets and signed the wrong FAs. In fact Burke talked about how most FA signings dont work well and you usually get good players through trades. I give credit to Benning for the draft and picking some gems but he is out of his depth when it comes to everything else. But keep defending Benning until he gets fired this off season.

You call them excuses, but I am not defending Benning.

1 minute ago, CptCanuck16 said:

What are you smoking? Loui had two 30 goal seasons in his entire career. One of which was in 2009 and the other one was in his last season in Boston before joining the Canucks. Between those two seasons he had quite a few 10G seasons.   He was making $4.25 on his previous contract. 1 good season in the previis half dozen  warrants a $2m raise in your view?  

You got any job openings cuz I wanna come work for you. ::D

Lucic and James Neal got 6M too. It was market price. Understand what it means and then we'll start talking.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Vintage 1

Guys, you gotta stop demanding green to be fired mid season

logistically it makes no sense.

how do you expect a new coach to implement a new system or make any changes with no practice time? 

gotta just grind out the next 2 months with what you got

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

You call them excuses, but I am not defending Benning.

You clearly are defending him, to the point that you gave a reason for each one of his signings which I thought was underwhelming the minute he signed them. 

• Haha 1

Green sits Demko after earning a shutout 

Green moves Hogs to line 3

Green sits OJ

Green leaves Pearson in the top 6

Green continues to play Rousel when just about anyone on the taxi squad is a better option 

Green gives a team that goes 12 losses in 14 games 2 days off AFTER he complains about lack of practices only to have them lose again, then HE is frustrated? 

Get his a$$ is a cab JB 

1 minute ago, billabong said:

Guys, you gotta stop demanding green to be fired mid season

logistically it makes no sense.

how do you expect a new coach to implement a new system or make any changes with no practice time? 

gotta just grind out the next 2 months with what you got

Keep the master tank commander and get some power for next year.