Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 2, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic


-SN-
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Lucic and James Neal got 6M too. It was market price. Understand what it means and then we'll start talking.

And the guy who signed Lucic is fired, the other who is Treliving and signed Neal is on the hot seat. Do you find any similarities to Benning? 

  • Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DefCon1 said:

You clearly are defending him, to the point that you gave a reason for each one of his signings which I thought was underwhelming the minute he signed them. 

I didn't defend him. I think he's indefensible on a number of fronts, but scapegoating him is oversimplifying the overall situation. I blame Gillis for this situation, even though he's been long gone. This happens when you squander your draft picks and fail to develop any meaningful players In your system.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Demko has played 15 games so far. There are 15 goalies who have played 15 games or more right now. Assuming the team is trying to make the playoffs, (at least that’s what they are saying for public consumption) going on a good long hot streak is a must. Playing back to back games after 3 days off is not too much to ask of a younger goalie. 

A back to back is a perfectly reasonable time to put your backup goalie in. Like you said, most of the league is alternating their number 1 as much as we are. I don't see the problem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Holtby has looked shaky all season.  Is that why Washington dealt him/ let him walk? 

Washington changed their system last year to a very aggressive attack that also gave up a lot of odd man rushes, Holtby can’t stop break always to save his career.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

And the guy who signed Lucic is fired, the other who is Treliving and signed Neal is on the hot seat. Do you find any similarities to Benning? 

I never said Benning wasn't on the hot seat. By that logic, Treliving and Benning are in similar situations. Both GMs made significant splashes in FA, in different ways.

 

The Tanev/Markstrom signings are going to anchor Calgary for the next few years. I'm not saying this to diss Tanev and Markstrom. They deserved the money.

Edited by Dazzle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, billabong said:

Guys, you gotta stop demanding green to be fired mid season

 

logistically it makes no sense.

 

 how do you expect a new coach to implement a new system or make any changes with no practice time? 
 

gotta just grind out the next 2 months with what you got

Replace the assistants and I’ll reluctantly accept Green until the end of the season when I expect there will be a somewhat better group to choose from. As bad as our defensive system and powerplay is and the way nothing seems to change, the status quo is unacceptable.

  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, billabong said:

Guys, you gotta stop demanding green to be fired mid season

 

logistically it makes no sense.

 

 how do you expect a new coach to implement a new system or make any changes with no practice time? 
 

gotta just grind out the next 2 months with what you got

There is a huge benefit assuming we get our guy in Gallant

 

gets to evaluate the team, purges our “elite” systems, starts implementing real systems 

 

all that allows a much smoother transition next season 

 

had we done it earlier we may have been able to go on a run, that window has passed 

  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Huggy Bear 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, billabong said:

Guys, you gotta stop demanding green to be fired mid season

 

logistically it makes no sense.

 

 how do you expect a new coach to implement a new system or make any changes with no practice time? 
 

gotta just grind out the next 2 months with what you got

And the excuses for Green continues...

 

If we're going to make excuses, what is Benning to do when you have an owner that rightfully wants to pursue playoffs, while having a team that has been labelled as stale with no prospects on the way?

 

Gillis. For all the things he did well, he surely wrecked the future of this team, resulting in a long stagnant period.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I didn't defend him. I think he's indefensible on a number of fronts, but scapegoating him is oversimplifying the overall situation. I blame Gillis for this situation, even though he's been long gone. This happens when you squander your draft picks and fail to develop any meaningful players In your system.

It has been 7 long years since Gillis was fired. You cant be blaming Gillis forever. This is Bennings team now and he shoulders all the reponsibility not Gillis. I think 7 years is also enough to see progress and expect a playoff team. Benning was clearly not the right choice for the rebuild. Drafted great but signed anchor boats and screwed up our salary cap.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

There is a huge benefit assuming we get our guy in Gallant

 

gets to evaluate the team, purges our “elite” systems, starts implementing real systems 

 

all that allows a much smoother transition next season 

 

had we done it earlier we may have been able to go on a run, that window has passed 

Yep, look at how Leafs took off once Babcock was gone. Now look at them this season. It has a positive effect with a right coach obviously.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Deets said:

A back to back is a perfectly reasonable time to put your backup goalie in. Like you said, most of the league is alternating their number 1 as much as we are. I don't see the problem.

Yes, except for two things. We have played more games than most so other teams have actually run with their starters more than we have. We are desperate to go on a run so Green should be using the goalie that thinks gives us the best chance of doing that.

  • Cheers 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

According to my prediction the ‘Nucks have 3 more games to fire Green if they want to win the Cup this year.

I didnt know the summer golf tournaments have cups. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The North Division has 4 teams .500 or better. 

The fact we are so far from a playoff spot tells you everything... 

Were 4 years from even thinking about being a "contender". 

Sorry to say it, but it will be a long few painful years peps!!! 

Fingers crossed they don't blow the best bunch of young talent we've ever seen. 

  • Vintage 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

It has been 7 long years since Gillis was fired. You cant be blaming Gillis forever. This is Bennings team now and he shoulders all the reponsibility not Gillis. I think 7 years is also enough to see progress and expect a playoff team. Benning was clearly not the right choice for the rebuild. Drafted great but signed anchor boats and screwed up our salary cap.

All I'm saying is that if it takes seven years to get to this point, that means the damage caused by Gillis has been long lasting and substantial. This doesn't absolve Benning at all. All I'm saying is that if you look at the drafting and developing history of Gillis and the rosters he put together, minus that really good year, he really screwed this team.

 

Look at the number of NTCs he handed out, as well as the Grabner + 1st round pick for Ballard, who by the way was bought out. We only have Horvat from his regime, who was acquired by trading Schneider. Remember when Horvat had skating issues when he was drafted? Can you imagine the further destruction of the team had he not improved drastically?

 

Asset management is a joke around these parts, but it's true.

Edited by Dazzle
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, 4petesake said:

Yes, except for two things. We have played more games than most so other teams have actually run with their starters more than we have. We are desperate to go on a run so Green should be using the goalie that thinks gives us the best chance of doing that.

Green is the complete opposite of other coaches. Demko has his first shutout against the jets, he sits him down for the next game against jets. Joulevi scores his first goal, he sits him down for Chatfield. I mean at some point he needs to realize whats good for this team. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, DefCon1 said:

Yep, look at how Leafs took off once Babcock was gone. Now look at them this season. It has a positive effect with a right coach obviously.

Leafs had an amazing record vs Canada last year. That has more to do with it than anything  to do with Coaching IMO. Remember this is the same Leafs team that lost vs CBJ with the same coaches. 
 

If the Leafs had to face any of the American teams they wouldn’t have the record they have. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Vancan2021 said:

The North Division has 4 teams .500 or better. 

The fact we are so far from a playoff spot tells you everything... 

Were 4 years from even thinking about being a "contender". 

Sorry to say it, but it will be a long few painful years peps!!! 

Fingers crossed they don't blow the best bunch of young talent we've ever seen. 

Watch Benning let Boeser walk after his bridge deal because he just didnt have time :P

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, canuck2288 said:

There is a huge benefit assuming we get our guy in Gallant

 

gets to evaluate the team, purges our “elite” systems, starts implementing real systems 

 

all that allows a much smoother transition next season 

 

had we done it earlier we may have been able to go on a run, that window has passed 

Agreed. The sooner the better. I'd rather see them going through growing pains in the back half of this season because it's already a wash, rather than in the first half of next season. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...