The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 2, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

17 minutes ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Just for tonights game, he shoulda said (or wanted to say), "I made a mistake and should had played Demmer cause Holtby was not ready to play tonight - lesson learned"...

I believe greener wanted to rest demko tonite so he can play all 5 games vs Toronto Edmonton and Montreal 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, aznmonk said:

I believe greener wanted to rest demko tonite so he can play all 5 games vs Toronto Edmonton and Montreal 

I agree with the taught process and it makes sense but Holtby failed to deliver - tonight.   Hopefully, this will solidify Demmers' spot as the top goalie in our team...

Edited by ShawnAntoski

3 hours ago, b3. said:

Don’t forget the part where you don’t need to speak to the media.

Like seriously where the hell is Jim Benning? I don’t see Calgarys GM hiding from the media...

Or Columbus Gm.....

it’s a joke. 

• Huggy Bear 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Gillis was in charge of 6 drafts.  In those 6 drafts he drafted 37 players.  Out of those 37 players, only 14 played at least one game in the NHL.  23 players he drafted out of 37 players never played a single game in the NHL.  Out of the 14 players he drafted that played in the NHL, only 6 played more than 100 games.  in 2010 he drafted 5 players, 4 never played a game in the NHL and one player played in one NHL game.  Imagine picking an entire draft class where all the players drafted combine for ONE NHL game.

The fact is that Gillis left this team in complete shambles.  Only one player remains on the team that was a Gillis draft pick.  Those 6 years of pathetic drafting is why it has taken this long to rebuild this team.  And to add to that Aquilini made the choice to try and give the Sedins one last shot at a Cup, so the early decisions to trade picks and get high priced veterans came from ownership.  The reason we signed Loui was to give the Sedins one last shot at a Cup.  It didn't work out so Benning needed to fill other holes to retool on the fly.  In came Sutter, Roussel and Beagle.  Again, bad decisions looking back now but the idea of the retool on the fly came from ownership. 

Ultimately, we should have just started a full rebuild the first year Benning took over.  But with the Sedins still here earning $6 million it wasn't going to happen.  Now we are paying the price.  So we need to let the bad contracts run out, play the kids and ride it out from here.  Benning needs to hire a coach that can get the most out of this talented group of young players.  He will get one more shot to right the ship.  Let's see what happens.

We think alike..... thank god there are other fans who see the truth behind the all the signings and why the rebuild has taken as long as it has.

I think the timing of the contracts coming off the books in the next two years are coming at the perfect time for the Canucks to sign some serious UFAs after our core is locked up and then the race is on.

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

4th goal is the killer, we knew Holtby was going to be bad but it's the bad goals at bad times that have killed this team.

Let Demko run with the ball from now on, Holtby only in for back to backs.

6 hours ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I have been on Loui’s case as much as anyone however I seriously doubt he’s ’dogging it’.  Like all professional athletes, they jump the shark eventually.  For some, that happens quickly.  Look how Hansen’s game fell off the cliff so rapidly.    This is the danger of handing out such a long term big money contract at the age Loui was.

Though one would argue with the skill Loui had, no one would have expected his production to drop off as quickly as it did. I think it's a little of both, getting a year older is also a factor but I am also thinking maybe he put every effort in his final year in Boston knowing it was a contract yean and this next contract could be his last. Then once he cashed in he was relying on just coasting with the Canucks.

Edited by iinatcc
  • Hydration 1

Well some arguable points there

38 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

They had key pieces walk, no training camp, a ridiculously condensed schedule, and they had divisional realignment that put them in one of the toughest divisions in the league.

Is this an arguable point though ? 

In the NHL's Facebook accounts and posts and there are comments from fans that the North Division is the weakest in the NHL. Like comments on how most of the teams in the Central division would destroy the best teams in the North.

Edited by iinatcc
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

Well some arguable points there

Is this an arguable point though ? 

In the NHL's Facebook accounts and posts and there are comments from fans that the North Division is the weakest in the NHL. Like comments on how most of the teams in the Central division would destroy the best teams in the North.

We did have a pretty crap record vs Canada last year.

We were 5-10-0 and that was with Marky/Tanev/Stecher.

So tough division for us I guess.

• Vintage 2

Does anyone really likes Green`s heavy forechecking style of play?

is this the way you want to see canucks play the game for years to come?

Edited by BENN

2 hours ago, High and Inside said:

I’m not sure why people get so hung up on Travis Green. Is he doing a great job? Not necessarily but there are worse problems. Remember this team over achieved by nearly making it to the conference finals with Travis Green. What’s the difference this year? Roster construction. This is on Benning.

pretty sure green and his assistants playing systems are the problem.  benning got him hoglander to play with bo and a underperforming dcorp  that should be better than they are 

• Like 2
  • Hydration 1

1 hour ago, DeNiro said:

Hardly the only difference this season.

They had key pieces walk, no training camp, a ridiculously condensed schedule, and they had divisional realignment that put them in one of the toughest divisions in the league.

Those are the reasons we’re at where we’re at. But those are also just excuses and Green should be judged on his results which speak for themselves.

If I believed those factors were the only reason for losing I would give Green a free pass. But all one has to do is watch how he has the team playing and listen to his post game comments to know this is a coach that’s in over his head.

i dont like that we are making excuses for greens horrible coaching systems and roster  moves like why didnt demko play why hoglander moved to third when hes  better than 5/6 of the team and whys juolevi sitting over  hamonic    looking forward to the high draft pick in summer  but please fire these bozos 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

music video 90s GIF

goodbye playoffs...

The playoff haven't been in the picture for weeks now.  Did anyone actually think we'd have a hope in hell of making the playoffs after losing every single game but two in the entire month of February which followed a disastrous January which followed the gutting of 1/4 of our entire team by JB in the offseason which included our top Goalie, Top Defenseman not to mention letting Tofolli walk because JB can't multi-task??   Really?

Edited by RU SERIOUS

4 hours ago, Pickly said:

This. If Aqua and Benning wanted to truly have salvaged the season and believed a coaching change was needed it would already have been done. 15 games ago. Green hasn’t been extended for a reason. At this point, you ride it out and make changes in the off-season. I highly, highly doubt Green and co are brought back next year given how poorly the team is prepared most nights and the inability for the coaching staff to adapt and make timely changes. It’s a tough pill for fans to swallow but this season is basically a write off and they’ve dug themselves a hole they can’t climb out of. 

Well Said  !     Nothing more to add to that!

• Vintage 1