The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 2, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

6 hours ago, Dazzle said:

And the excuses for Green continues...

If we're going to make excuses, what is Benning to do when you have an owner that rightfully wants to pursue playoffs, while having a team that has been labelled as stale with no prospects on the way?

Gillis. For all the things he did well, he surely wrecked the future of this team, resulting in a long stagnant period.

6 hours ago, DefCon1 said:

It has been 7 long years since Gillis was fired. You cant be blaming Gillis forever. This is Bennings team now and he shoulders all the reponsibility not Gillis. I think 7 years is also enough to see progress and expect a playoff team. Benning was clearly not the right choice for the rebuild. Drafted great but signed anchor boats and screwed up our salary cap.

after 7 years here is last nights roster

traded for 1st        1st             1st

traded for 1st    gillis 1st         1st

2nd              traded 2nd +       5th

fa                   fa                     fa

1st                       fa

3rd Burke?         traded 3rd

fa                 fa

2nd

fa

that is four 1sts

two 2nds

one 5th

two traded 1sts

one traded 2nd

one traded 3rd (future)

seven FAs

two holdovers

no lettered player (C or A)was drafted by Benning

Gaudette is the lone "Late pick GEM" that we heard Benning was great at finding

meanwhile the Oilers (who we mock for not developing players) have gotten 31 games from 4 players drafted after Ricky DP, Briesbois, Zukenov and Tryamkin

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Very true. You have to make $6m in Canada to end up with the same amount of money in your pocket as as an American team player making $4. 

The actual advantage is Vegas, Miami, TB, soon to be Seattle where there isn't state or "jock" tax.   Dallas is pretty close too.   It amounts to about 10-15% overall cap advantage depending on how high the salary is compared to the rest of the leagues teams.   Still that's a big advantage.   NY and CALI pay more taxes then the Alberta teams -  but it's pretty close  MTL and TO are two of the highest in the league.   Still 500-550k on every 5 million dollar deal adds up - and for sure this is why AP settled in Vegas - for what he was rumoured to want in St. Louis ...  TB... is loaded with guys taking "discounts",  starting with Stamkos.  I've been complaining about this for awhile - but it's not 50% more cap (4-6)...

Edit:   What can you do as a Canucks fans and if your a BC resident?   Don't vote for NDP.   Back during the peak Sedin era, Vancouver was actually one of the least taxed teams in the NHL, ranked 7th least taxed.   Since then, the we've gone the other way and now are one of the heaviest taxed teams.   There is a calculator - gavingroup.ca - it's interesting to compare teams and net income on different contracts.   Most low ones 700k-2.5 million, the disparity doesn't look too bad - but once you get up to 5 million - and especially the 7-12.5 ones - wow that's a lot of money left on the table depending where you go (TB vs TO or MTL)....

Edit:  MTL, TO, OTT, VAN, WNP are the highest taxed teams in the league now ... 2.98% difference from MTL and WNP...52.98% at the high  compared to 36.49 for Dallas, Seattle, Vegas, Miami....47.51 for the Alberta teams is a 5.5% difference in Canada alone.  49.53 in CALI (state/jock tax)...16% from high to low ...

Edited by IBatch
  • Hydration 3

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We did have a pretty crap record vs Canada last year.

We were 5-10-0 and that was with Marky/Tanev/Stecher.

So tough division for us I guess.

haha thats cuz we keep playing against Vezina Backups

• Haha 1

Rofl people still blaming Gillis for Benning's poor results? What do these people smoke? Like Benning Crack or something? Why would you defend a GM so blindly? (Not to mention Benning botched the Kesler trade; that's a treasure chest right there. Sedins retired without value. Gilis left Markstrom for the team.) I have been complimenting Benning's moves the past 2 years. But the team results are poor, this is a fact, to twist and turn it otherwise is bs. This is a team that has been rebuilding and has not been competitive for many years. Except for last playoffs. 

• Hydration 2
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Though one would argue with the skill Loui had no one would have expected his production to drop off as quickly as it did. I think it's a little of both, getting a year older is also a factor but I am also thinking maybe he put every effort in his final year in Boston knowing it was a contract yean and this next contract could be his last. Then once he cashed in he was relying on just coasting with the Canucks.

Yeah, this is trend with most players, that is why I hope JB has learned to not give too much term to players over 30 or only one year deals (two at most) to these players - ofcourse, there will be some execeptions.

One good thing I've been noticing lately is even when behind, the canucks have still played a structured game and haven't started losing their minds and running around cluelessly. Demko would have been nice to see in net, but he can't play every game.

• Hydration 1

10 hours ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Exactly! 14 of 17. They are accepting losing. It doesn't make sense.Yet they continue to say that they need to be better and it will start next game. 14 of 17 says you can't and don't know how to do it.

17 games back we sat at a 4-5 record. I’m no math wiz like @canuck2288 but that means we are 5-10-2 in the last 17.

Still absolutely horrible but no need to dig the hole deeper.

17 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

One good thing I've been noticing lately is even when behind, the canucks have still played a structured game and haven't started losing their minds and running around cluelessly. Demko would have been nice to see in net, but he can't play every game.

The team isn't much different then it was two years ago.   A lot of one-two goal games minus any empty netters.   This game came down to getting scored on with three second left, and a late third period goal.   I couldn't watch it but listened to it on the radio - from what i heard anyways, we played on par with WNP,  better in the first all over them late and getting scored on was brutal.   That 5-10% TG is talking about isn't far off being the difference make the last dozen games.  

End of the day results matter, aside from a terrible start - the teams cleaned up a lot of their defensive zone gaffes.   I get the frustration with the dead cap space - but if used wisely (and not hiring any LE types), that extra 12-15million should go a long way.   There is actually a lot more then that, but after raises and bottom six replacements, that's what i see left over. That buys one super star or two blue chip guys.   As per above convo on MG and JB and excuses etc - everyone is right.   Both sides (pro and anti JB).   It's not so simple.   

Personally i see a team with a lot of potential.   With top ten goaltending, one more top four D, and one more blue chip top six guy, and a middle of the row third line C all these game we'd likely have won.    Demko looks to have the chops to be an above average starter - Podz should either become a very good middle six player - very high floor and already has had time playing centre (he could be converted) see him filling one of these needs  - which leaves our D.   We might have to make a trade there, and definitely should pay if we can (like we did with Myers ... no different then when MG paid Hamhuis/Ballard percentage wise) 

Edited by IBatch
  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Battlemonger said:

Isn't TG saving Demko for the playoffs?  Lol.   For sure with back to backs Holtby should get the call.   No need to risk an injury at this point in the game.   Holtby is a proud player and i'm sure he wants his reputation back.    Remember playing against him last year and a few times before that - the guys got it in him to make incredible saves,  and can tell he's also got it in him to steal games.    Hasn't done that yet for us but came close a couple times and blew it.    The first 15 or so games i'm sure he was missing WSH.   Like Cherry said in his blurb on this thread - he came here because he liked the team he saw last year.   And felt he could help and wanted to play on a team that had a shot once in the show (which for sure we did last playoffs).  

A few fans on this site have made some comparisons to the early Linden days and i for sure see the similarities.   Linden, Ronning, then Bure and Nedved ... only other time i recall young players stepping in and grabbing the bull by the horns.   QHs will end up top ten in Norris voting in his second season.   Maybe even top five.   When is the last time a sophomore D led the league in scoring? And who did that?   Hmm. 

EP is back on his game.   He never was really off - posts and crossbars.   Eventually those go in which they have been.   We need his scoring ability to succeed.   BB is now in his early prime, looks better then ever.   Horvat might be off the scoreboard these days - but he is still an ace in the dot.   Hoglander is a rookie in the top six.   And leading the team on creating chances....for the forward group.   

"Bubble Demko" has come around the last dozen or so games - his SP has gone from one of the worst in the league to almost caught up with Markstrom.    Not quite respectable - but it's trending in the right direction.  

Podz has grown physically - and was the best player in his draft at one thing - which is getting the puck back.   Plays a complete game - and can PK. 

Motte is out - but had 5 goals when he was injured.   How many goals from the bottom six do we have aside from him?   Not nearly enough.  For sure our tweeners AG and JV have disappointed. 

Point is despite our dreadful record - there is still a ton of reason for optimism.   Already this team has surpassed anything the WCE team did, and all but one Sedin playoffs.    Podz has 9 years of hockey before he's the same age the Sedins were when they peaked.   Remarkable really.

As for the future?   I'd give us 65/35 odds of making the playoffs next year.    A lot of that has to do with getting our wins outside of our current division and how the teams settled down the last dozen games.   Even without a coach change I'm very confident we will make the playoffs as a wild card or third in our own division.   Something is wrong - deeply wrong with CAL.   Vegas and the McDavid/Drasaitl show is now in their prime.   EDM is only going to get better too.  ANA, LA, SJ are fodder, Seattle who knows. 

After that ... well let's just say i predict that we should have a run of 4-6 playoff appearances and decent odds of getting to the final four each time.    

• Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

The actual advantage is Vegas, Miami, TB, soon to be Seattle where there isn't state or "jock" tax.   Dallas is pretty close too.   It amounts to about 10-15% overall cap advantage depending on how high the salary is compared to the rest of the leagues teams.   Still that's a big advantage.   NY and CALI pay more taxes then the Alberta teams -  but it's pretty close  MTL and TO are two of the highest in the league.   Still 500-550k on every 5 million dollar deal adds up - and for sure this is why AP settled in Vegas - for what he was rumoured to want in St. Louis ...  TB... is loaded with guys taking "discounts",  starting with Stamkos.  I've been complaining about this for awhile - but it's not 50% more cap (4-6)...

Edit:   What can you do as a Canucks fans and if your a BC resident?   Don't vote for NDP.   Back during the peak Sedin era, Vancouver was actually one of the least taxed teams in the NHL, ranked 7th least taxed.   Since then, the we've gone the other way and now are one of the heaviest taxed teams.   There is a calculator - gavingroup.ca - it's interesting to compare teams and net income on different contracts.   Most low ones 700k-2.5 million, the disparity doesn't look too bad - but once you get up to 5 million - and especially the 7-12.5 ones - wow that's a lot of money left on the table depending where you go (TB vs TO or MTL)....

Edit:  MTL, TO, OTT, VAN, WNP are the highest taxed teams in the league now ... 2.98% difference from MTL and WNP...52.98% at the high  compared to 36.49 for Dallas, Seattle, Vegas, Miami....47.51 for the Alberta teams is a 5.5% difference in Canada alone.  49.53 in CALI (state/jock tax)...16% from high to low ...

Whats the alternative to ndp in this province?  The corrupt liberals? 

The last thing im worried about is how to get pro athletes making more money.. its already disgusting as it is.

• Hydration 4

2 hours ago, lmm said:

no lettered player (C or A)was drafted by Benning

Gaudette is the lone "Late pick GEM" that we heard Benning was great at finding

meanwhile the Oilers (who we mock for not developing players) have gotten 31 games from 4 players drafted after Ricky DP, Briesbois, Zukenov and Tryamkin

Meanwhile, in Utica, the three players leading the team in scoring are a Benning 2nd round pick, another 2nd round pick and a 5th round pick. Not to mention that all of our top prospects except for Pod were drafted outside of the 1st round.

Players drafted outside of the 1st round take longer to develop, that's why they weren't 1st round players. Some take longer than others but currently Lind, Jasek, Rathbone, DiPietro and Gadjovich all have a very good chance of being solid NHL players. 

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

Just now, EddieVedder said:

Whats the alternative to ndp in this province?  The corrupt liberals? 

The last thing im worried about is how to get pro athletes making more money.. its already disgusting as it is.

Hey whatever works for sure... just something i noticed checking the site.   There was a time when the Canucks were one of the least taxed teams which i found curious.   Now we are one of the heaviest taxed teams - if that's your main reason for voting someone in (make the Canucks better!) there might be something wrong with you lol. 

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

If it were up to bettmen, he would have all Canadian teams relocated to the states, just as he’s allowing blatant tanking by the rangers, whom by the way end up with another top 3 pick I’ll prob end up giving up on the nhl. 

• Hydration 1
  • RoughGame 1

12 minutes ago, sassbs said:

If it were up to bettmen, he would have all Canadian teams relocated to the states, just as he’s allowing blatant tanking by the rangers, whom by the way end up with another top 3 pick I’ll prob end up giving up on the nhl. 

MTL and TO are two of the biggest revenue earners for the league.   WNP and OTT make more then a lot of US teams.   Canadian markets don't fight much at all (aside from TO) for sports dollars and hockey is number one here, not number three.   So a city of 3 million in the US is similar to WNP and OTT market right off the hop.   The 7 Canadian teams - just making a guess, probably count for over 1/3 of all revenue.   Why ARI hasn't been relocated to Quebec is a total disgrace. 

Edit:  As an aside - TO could easily support two team - like NY does.   GTA has 7.5 million people - Oshawa for sure is a good location for a second team.    Anyone wanting to take the go train could be there between 5- 60minutes no matter where you area on the line.   Only NY, and LA are more populated.   Sure they also have baseball and basketball, but hockey is still king, and for sure the Leafs would take a hit, but they'd probably end up a middle revenue earner for them right away....Canada could support two teams a lot better then ARI, FLD (who's actually supported partially by snow birds already) and CAR ...(Quebec City and TO)...

Edited by IBatch

This can be up for debate but our rating in the north division should be 

Goaltending- #6 tied with Edmonton, Ottawa 7th

Defense- #3-4 with Montreal, Toronto, possibly Calgary/ Winterpeg ahead

Forwards- #5 ahead of Calgary, Ottawa

We are on in solid 6th place on verge of hitting 7th and should in the last playoff position. Our injuries have also been minimal.

JV, Gauds, Schmidt, Miller, Pearson, Hamonic, Bo, Beagle, Roussel, and Holtby are all under performing which makes it difficult to trade anyone tradable asset.

Can blame this on higher expectations, the schedule, Young star pressure, but other teams have their own set of challenges too. we're not special.

I've been a supporter of Green overall, but he has stubbornly stuck to " high Ozone pressure, hard to play against system" which is simply not being followed consistently and we're constantly being exposed.

That's on him and its time for Green and Baumer to go at the very least. We really have nothing to lose here. Like someone suggested bring in Stan Smyl and a temp coach to finish the season.

Sent loui down to Utica, bring up Lind or Rathbone , or both and rotate them in the line up with Juolevi, big mac. and let the chips fall where they may.

• Vintage 1

What happened to this team, my gosh, Please don't blame COVID, because you sure know TOR isn't. This is about a decent team playing poorly.  As long as the Canucks have that coaching staff, they aren't doing anything. Sorry.

• Vintage 1

Look at the bright side people, this team desperately need a top tier blue chip D prospect so getting a top 5 pick in this draft full of them at the top ain't a bad thing at all. 

Just wish we can fast forward to the draft to save us some pain or alcahol.

• Hydration 1