The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks @ Winnterpeg Jets | March 2, 2021 | 5 p.m. PT | SNP, TVAS

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder how much Green will be willing to change the lines, to try and get something going, try to find a recipe that works. 

Is Miller bad at C or something? He's more of a force (and stronger) than Petey, who should be paying wing.

kinda funny that Aqua comes out ans says "I have no plan to make changes"

and \Green cannot finish any game with the same lines he starts with

• RoughGame 1

10 minutes ago, SergioMomesso said:

So does anyone know what the NHL record is for not winning games when getting scored on first? We got to be getting up there.

probaly have to go back to the 72 Isles or 74 Caps

probably more than the 56 we will play this year

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, lmm said:

kinda funny that Aqua comes out ans says "I have no plan to make changes"

and \Green cannot finish any game with the same lines he starts with

Luigi needs to send him to the corner for time out and think about what he said

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

Last nights game was a close match. We started to get away from the consistent 5 man structure that they played on Monday. Plus our goal tending was not quite as good. Demko has definitely become the number one.  

Any other time we would be happy with a split. Fans are looking for some massive win streak to get us back into the playoffs. Probably not happening.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Morrissey....he's also the one who was clutching Petey and Petey got his glove and shot it into the net.  I loved that.  Screw you stuff.  If the refs are no shows, this is what happens.  Yet we get called for a love tap/slash.

The refs were horrible...they missed a WHOLE lot.

When fans are getting perplexed about calls not being made, one can only guess, how the players feels...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

19 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Luigi needs to send him to the corner for time out and think about what he said

I gave you a bag cuz we don;t have a dunce cap

for him not you

• Haha 1
  • RoughGame 1

3 hours ago, 204CanucksFan said:

Meanwhile, in Utica, the three players leading the team in scoring are a Benning 2nd round pick, another 2nd round pick and a 5th round pick. Not to mention that all of our top prospects except for Pod were drafted outside of the 1st round.

Players drafted outside of the 1st round take longer to develop, that's why they weren't 1st round players. Some take longer than others but currently Lind, Jasek, Rathbone, DiPietro and Gadjovich all have a very good chance of being solid NHL players. 

so these Utica guys are going to come up in the next year or two and take 2-3 full time NHL spots without so much as a cup of coffee beforehand?

that seems like a recipe for success

6 hours ago, lmm said:

after 7 years here is last nights roster

traded for 1st        1st             1st

traded for 1st    gillis 1st         1st

2nd              traded 2nd +       5th

fa                   fa                     fa

1st                       fa

3rd Burke?         traded 3rd

fa                 fa

2nd

fa

that is four 1sts

two 2nds

one 5th

two traded 1sts

one traded 2nd

one traded 3rd (future)

seven FAs

two holdovers

no lettered player (C or A)was drafted by Benning

Gaudette is the lone "Late pick GEM" that we heard Benning was great at finding

meanwhile the Oilers (who we mock for not developing players) have gotten 31 games from 4 players drafted after Ricky DP, Briesbois, Zukenov and Tryamkin

Did we even have a player with the same calibre as Hoglander under Gillis?

Late round gems are what they are - hard to find. Did we have any late round gems under Gillis?

No?

Your point is really weak. Gillis had no depth. Meanwhile, we have several good AHL players that are almost ready for prime time. We have a good goalie in DiPietro. Have we ever had a player be represented at the world Juniors under Gillis?

7 years, because Gillis screwed the pooch.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

It would be nice to see a consistent effort.

Personally I view this season as a wash, not only because the Canucks are barely treading water, but because it's a truncated season during a pandemic. The compressed schedule, limited competition, and restrictions make this feel like a quasi-season rather than a legitimate 82 game season in front of fans. I never thought this team had the capability to roar back into the playoffs and make a legitimate run. Plenty of time for that in seasons to come. 

I hope that this team begins to forge an actual identity and runs with it. There seems to still be issues plaguing this team that aren't all based on fatigue. I hope for the sake of the players that will eventually form the next core, that the issues are rectified.  

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

14 hours ago, DIBdaQUIB said:

What do you thing the odds are of the kraken taking holtby?

Personally at this point. It looks more likely they would pick a Juolevi Lind, or McEwen over Holtby. He might have a cup and Vezina but looking like those days are gone. 

Edited by EP Phone Home

5 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

Late round gems are what they are - hard to find. Did we have any late round gems under Gillis?

No?

Your point is really weak. Gillis had no depth. Meanwhile, we have several good AHL players that are almost ready for prime time. We have a good goalie in DiPietro. Have we ever had a player be represented at the world Juniors under Gillis?

Benny H

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=141927

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, EP Phone Home said:

Personally at this point. It looks more likely they would pick a Juolevi Lind, or McEwen over Holtby. He might have a cup and Vezina but looking like those days are gone. 

I am already on record that I think it will be mGoo

but it could be Oli

mGoo would kill us with body checks like Toff does goals and Marky does shut outs

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Eriksson absolutely deserved 6 million at the time of his signing. Was it the right signing for the Canucks in hindsight? Clearly no.

Beagle wasn't overpaid by 2 million - that's a huge exaggeration.

And I will bring it back to the depth issue - we literally had no reliable depth when Benning took over. I'm not saying that Benning should be excused on this matter, but this situation should be taken into some consideration. Gillis did a lot more damage to this team than one would realize.

Also, it doesn't help that the Canucks used rookie coaches throughout this time. WD had one good season. So did Green last season. But their flaws were pretty well exposed, particularly WD's overplaying of veteran and fringe players...

IMO, Gillis should deserve more blame for this mess. No prospects/prospect development. No identity. Maybe the owner deserves blame for trying to cling onto the last playoff run, even though the Sedins did not have a replacement.

I actually disagree with the Eriksson deserving 6 million part. All you had to do was look at how his goals were scored and you could see he was the beneficiary of the players around him. 90% of his goals were from simply standing in front of the net and potting in easy rebounds or tap ins. Don't believe me? Here's proof: 

I saw that video immediately after we signed him and got concerned. Sure, he'd play with the Sedins for a year or two I figured, but after that the guy just isn't a play driver, and once you reach the price point of 6 million (especially at that time), you better be a player that can drive a play. He actually still has good hands in front of the net, but our team just doesn't play that way. 

Beagle I can agree with somewhat. He was definitely overpaid but we were paying a mill extra for his leadership. If we got playoff Beagle then he was absolutely worth the money though. 

However with that said, Benning has been fantastic for drafting, but signings and trades have been bad. Overall, he's not nearly as bad as people make him out to be. Coaching I think has played a much much much larger factor that what the team has been placed on paper for. 

10 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

No?

I actuall thought the idea was to be better than Gillis

or why change

2 minutes ago, lmm said:

I am already on record that I think it will be mGoo

but it could be Oli

mGoo would kill us with body checks like Toff does goals and Marky does shut outs

Yeah I think if they pick any of those three they have potential to bite us. I see Lind how I saw Vegas get Tuch from Minny. A young player on the cusp of breaking into the lineup and making an instant impact. I feel like Lind is on track for primetime next season. Would be a shame if we develop a scoring prospect only for a division rival to pluck him up right as they ripen. 

I agree with you and mGoo, a starting team needs some grit and youth with some offensive awareness. Would not be shocked at all if they pick him either. I can sort of see why OJ and mGoo are scratched to try and make them look worse than they are. But thankfully the Kraken can only take one.

14 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Eriksson absolutely deserved 6 million at the time of his signing. Was it the right signing for the Canucks in hindsight? Clearly no.

Beagle wasn't overpaid by 2 million - that's a huge exaggeration.

And I will bring it back to the depth issue - we literally had no reliable depth when Benning took over. I'm not saying that Benning should be excused on this matter, but this situation should be taken into some consideration. Gillis did a lot more damage to this team than one would realize.

Also, it doesn't help that the Canucks used rookie coaches throughout this time. WD had one good season. So did Green last season. But their flaws were pretty well exposed, particularly WD's overplaying of veteran and fringe players...

IMO, Gillis should deserve more blame for this mess. No prospects/prospect development. No identity. Maybe the owner deserves blame for trying to cling onto the last playoff run, even though the Sedins did not have a replacement.

Benning had depth when he took over

he had  a lot of it tied up in bad contracts

but he had depth

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000392015.html

and I am not here to argue Benning/Gillis because as I said earlier, I thought it was about being better than other GMs around the league

Edited by lmm

Maybe this is a case of: sometime you have to take a step back to take two steps forward?

Canucks have definitely taken a step back this season, a big step. But, maybe that forces them to look at coaching, and possibly decide to make changes in the off season.

The Canucks also need to rebuild their bottom 6 and add a good Dman to play with Hughes. Getting Podkolzin should be exciting next season, I assume he'll start on the 3rd line, and eventually move up to the 2nd. Rathbone should also make the team. Some good things to look forward to, just not this season.

• Vintage 1