The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Eriksson to Seattle

What would you give up to move him instead of buying out  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not really anywhere else to post this, just trying to get an idea on what people would surrender to get him off the books this summer instead of buying him out.

If we buy him out, it costs Canucks 2 million in real money.

4 million cap hit for 2021 / 22 season

1 million cap hit for 2022 / 23 season

Would you be willing to give them a pick so that we can save that cap space and chase other, better free agents this season?

The reason I think Seattle might do it, its going to be a flat cap, they can take up some cap space without really costing them much in real money, during a flat cap. They could turn the draft pick into leverage to trade with other teams who are really tight against the cap.

Just wondering what we would do.

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Like 1

I would do that, but I seriously doubt Seattle would.  They could get a lot better players for a lot less money for a lot bigger return.

Many teams are going to be in cap trouble yet again this summer with no money to spend on re-signing UFAs or pending RFAs.

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I would do that, but I seriously doubt Seattle would.  They could get a lot better players for a lot less money for a lot bigger return.

Many teams are going to be in cap trouble yet again this summer with no money to spend on re-signing UFAs or pending RFAs.

I accidentally hit submit before I completed the post with my reason for them being willing to do it.

I'm not sure they would either, but figured, let's see how fans here feel about it in general.

1 minute ago, VegasCanuck said:

I accidentally hit submit before I completed the post with my reason for them being willing to do it.

I'm not sure they would either, but figured, let's see how fans here feel about it in general.

I am not sure why they want want us as the middle man though?  They just paid $650 million for the franchise, I don't think they are worried about actual cash vs. cap space.

They could select only the minimum cap hit allowed during expansion, and the reap huge assets by filling the rest of it with taking on other team's cap problems and/or signing good value UFAs that other teams can't afford inthe offseason.

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am not sure why they want want us as the middle man though?  They just paid $650 million for the franchise, I don't think they are worried about actual cash vs. cap space.

They could select only the minimum cap hit allowed during expansion, and the reap huge assets by filling the rest of it with taking on other team's cap problems and/or signing good value UFAs that other teams can't afford inthe offseason.

True, but new teams also need to stock their cupboards with young prospects, so they could just use the pick, or try and use it as leverage with another team who has a young player that they can't afford to resign.

Really have no idea if this would even work, and I fully believe that we will buy LE out during the off season, regardless. Just speculating on what fans would be willing to do, if they would like to get rid of him.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BENN said:

even him leaving gonna cost us, bad bad bad contract.

what was jb thinking??

I mean, it's bad there's no doubt about that but I don't think anyone was predicting as stark a fall as Louie took when he came here.

• Cheers 2

5 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

Edler was a 3rd round pick. 

Odds of getting a player past the 1st round, who plays at least 100 games in the NHL, are about 30%. This summer, there are going to be lots of deals out there as teams continue to struggle with the cap staying at 81.5 million.

Assuming that Ferland stays on LTIR, that would currently give us about 29 million to spend this coming summer, not including losing someone to the expansion draft. I'm betting right now, that Hughes and Pettersson sign 2 year bridge deals around 7 - 7.5 million each, leaving us roughly 15 million to spend. If we buy out LE, we gain about 2 million for this coming summer. If we could convince Seattle to take him for a 2nd, we are losing about 30% chance of getting an impact player in the draft and gaining about 6 million to use to shop deals that should be available from other teams.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

4th rounder

Seattle could reach the cap floor and wait for the ensuing cap space to come free, and THEN buy a way better UFA later on. 

That makes zero sense. You’re saying they’ll have trouble reaching the cap floor so they’ll take a pittance to take on Eriksson.  They’ll  then wait for his cap hit to expire THEN spend it on a UFA?  Why not just use the cap space they’re wasting on Eriksson to get a good UFA right away?  

Also. Only an idiot wouldn’t recognize how much power he’ll have with a ton of cap space in a flat cap NHL.  I think we can safely assume Ron Francis isn’t an idiot.  If Vancouver wants him to take $6m of dead cap it’ll cost. 

11 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

That makes zero sense. You’re saying they’ll have trouble reaching the cap floor so they’ll take a pittance to take on Eriksson.  They’ll  then wait for his cap hit to expire THEN spend it on a UFA?  Why not just use the cap space they’re wasting on Eriksson to get a good UFA right away?  

Also. Only an idiot wouldn’t recognize how much power he’ll have with a ton of cap space in a flat cap NHL.  I think we can safely assume Ron Francis isn’t an idiot.  If Vancouver wants him to take $6m of dead cap it’ll cost. 

I was thinking about gate revenue. I think we'll still be under covid protocols with little or no audiences, saving cap for when actual revenue is coming in. Plus he can fill a 4th line role.

I think they'll be getting more than enough players in the ED

1 minute ago, Hairy Kneel said:

I was thinking about gate revenue. I think we'll still be under covid protocols with little or no audiences, saving cap for when actual revenue is coming in. Plus he can fill a 4th line role.

I think they'll be getting more than enough players in the ED

Even if they see some value in him. You can’t deny that Francis will have all the bargaining power.  There will be far better players available for lower cap hits.  They have a chance to exploit teams like Vancouver.  They can ice a good team like Vegas did AND take advantage of the flat cap era.  Taking on Ericksson for a 4th makes  no sense 

23 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Odds of getting a player past the 1st round, who plays at least 100 games in the NHL, are about 30%. This summer, there are going to be lots of deals out there as teams continue to struggle with the cap staying at 81.5 million.

Assuming that Ferland stays on LTIR, that would currently give us about 29 million to spend this coming summer, not including losing someone to the expansion draft. I'm betting right now, that Hughes and Pettersson sign 2 year bridge deals around 7 - 7.5 million each, leaving us roughly 15 million to spend. If we buy out LE, we gain about 2 million for this coming summer. If we could convince Seattle to take him for a 2nd, we are losing about 30% chance of getting an impact player in the draft and gaining about 6 million to use to shop deals that should be available from other teams.

I was simply pointing out there there are gems/duds in every round and you can't simply declare certain pick as 'expendable' just because someone says they are.  I'm acutely aware of the statistics regarding chances of picks from each round developing into actual players; and while these statistics favor higher picks, that doesn't tell the whole story - case in point, Edler.  

On the other topic, does anyone actually trust JB with a boat-load of cap-space to spend on UFA's?  As good as he has been in drafting, it's arguable he's been equally bad with his UFA signing record.  Arguably the only deal he's managed to get was with Hamonic and all reports indicate there were conditions (Hamonic staying in Canada and in the west) which worked in JB's favor; not to mention Hamonic has a pretty small sample-size here to judge contract value. 

As you mention, a lot of the immediate future depends on the next contracts for EP/QH - these contracts will impact the entire roster for years to come. 

• Cheers 1

just waice eriksson next yr send him to utica  he probably wont wanna sit on bus for 4 mill actual money  even if he signed 1 mill on another team or in sweden  i hope he voids contract after the 1 mill bonus  walking away from 3 mill it gives us a 6 mill  cap bonus  i also hope seattle takes myers  

would give us 38.5 mill next yr if both these happen  resign demko hughes petey tryamkin and gaudette  podkolzin  leaves money for a right d and 3rd line c in ufa land 

Edited by canuktravella
  • Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Even if they see some value in him. You can’t deny that Francis will have all the bargaining power.  There will be far better players available for lower cap hits.  They have a chance to exploit teams like Vancouver.  They can ice a good team like Vegas did AND take advantage of the flat cap era.  Taking on Ericksson for a 4th makes  no sense 

Vegas was overloaded with contracts. 

Went from 109 points  first year down to 86 points last year. I think the sheer number of similar level players was confusing. Plus Louie is only one year. And 2022 has some nice UFAs.