The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Is Anyone Missing TSN 1040?

Rate this topic

dpn1

3 minutes ago, dpn1 said:

I have felt a little distant from the team lately as I have realized I am missing 1040.  Mornings were fun, Don and Moj are great as well.  Sekeras & Price weren't that great but 2 out of 3 isn't bad :rolleyes:.  I have just never got into SN 650.  Maybe I'm a grumpy guy that is not that fond of changing my routine but having Donnie not on the air seems criminal to me.  What do you all think? B)

Yep big time. I’d listen to Donny and the moj everyday at work. Scott rintoul and maybe One or two more are the only ones I can listen too on 650. I give it a go every now and then but usually end up turning on jack fm instead. Bell is a really $&!#ty company for taking away those guys from us. Twenty years just like that.

• Cheers 1

I know it's tough for people to break the habit/routine, especially for those who may be a bit older who grew up on radio.

But I'd say find a podcast(s) that you like, it's the way to go. You get to choose the topic that you like, you never have to listen to people you don't like, a lot less ads (the amount of ads on radio is unbearable), and you have the convenience of on-demand content (listen to what you want, when you want).

11 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

I know it's tough for people to break the habit/routine, especially for those who may be a bit older who grew up on radio.

But I'd say find a podcast(s) that you like, it's the way to go. You get to choose the topic that you like, you never have to listen to people you don't like, a lot less ads (the amount of ads on radio is unbearable), and you have the convenience of on-demand content (listen to what you want, when you want).

Any recommended pods?  My current rotation is VanCast, 31 Thoughts, Puck Soup (+ patreon), and the Athletic Hockey Show.

Always looking to add more though.

2 minutes ago, Crimson said:

Any recommended pods?  My current rotation is VanCast, 31 Thoughts, Puck Soup (+ patreon), and the Athletic Hockey Show.

Always looking to add more though.

You're ahead of me, didn't even know the Athletic had a hockey podcast.

I'll check it out, thanks :)

26 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I don't miss the BS fake rumour generator that was Sekeres, but I do miss Donny and the Moj, they cracked me up and they did know what they were talking about much of the time. Some of the 650 guys do not. 

Donnie " There often wood during a tandem" lol

38 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

All true.  And a do listen to a lot of podcasts (but just the Vancast for hockey).  The thing that sport podcasts lack is the immediacy of the news.  It's hard to talk about breaking news on a podcast.

When there were two stations a would flip back and forth but I found myself probably listening to 1040 about 90% of the time.  My main listening times were 6-8am, 3-430pm, 10-1130pm,  I REALLY miss the 1040 morning show.  I kind a miss Fai at night (when I did tune in at night, which was only periodically).  I preferred Sekeres and Price over the 650 late afternoon but 650 at that time is strong enough to make me not miss Sekeres and Price as much I guess.

• Cheers 1

I miss the morning show for sure. Definitely feel more detached - as I haven't been listening to 650.

I listened to the H/B podcasts as they dropped - then Donnie/Moj for a bit after - so that would be my review of the Canucks/sports the day after the game. Now I just checkout Rob Fai postgame (& 650 sometimes), chat with you fine folks here, and that's it.

I'm also trying to be on Twitter less  - just deleted the app off my phone - so I'm going to be even more detached.

1 hour ago, dpn1 said:

I have felt a little distant from the team lately as I have realized I am missing 1040.  Mornings were fun, Don and Moj are great as well.  Sekeras & Price weren't that great but 2 out of 3 isn't bad :rolleyes:.  I have just never got into SN 650.  Maybe I'm a grumpy guy that is not that fond of changing my routine but having Donnie not on the air seems criminal to me.  What do you all think? B)

Yes.   I miss Team 1040 a lot.  

650 Sportsnet is full of 20-something/early 30’s kids that think they are smarter than NHL GM’s.    

I do not get a good vibe from the douchebags on sportsnet 650 at all.  

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, SNuck said:

I've been listening to 650 but good god it's boring. No personality, no jokes, no character, no interesting segments, no bits. 1040 was fun; 650 is just droning in the background. 

Agree ! 650 is white picket fence/vanilla ice cream/boring ..................on Steroids.   If the old 1040 crowd doesn't manage to revive a new independent sports station in town, then I hope 650 hires a few of them.  I miss the experience and talent of that 1040 crowd no matter what anyone says.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

I'm missing 1970's Vancouver, & the vibe associated with them days. Great tunes; CFOX, CFMI, 92.9 KISM(from Seattle, awesome station!)

Listened to CKNW in the mornings(Old man's choice)..recall some dj named Frosty? Or AM radio in the car, drivin'round town. The AM schmaltzy list..makin you treasure the beauty of FM radio & good albums.

Have only been griping/whining for this nostalgia about 30 yrs now! Apologies from this ol' broken record that skips on...

Edited by Nuxfanabroad
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Yes.   I miss Team 1040 a lot.  

650 Sportsnet is full of 20-something/early 30’s kids that think they are smarter than NHL GM’s.    

I do not get a good vibe from the douchebags on sportsnet 650 at all.  

650 strikes me as what would happen if canucks army got their own radio station but had to live in constant fear of canucks brass cutting off their access. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1