The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jeff Skinner for Loui Eriksson (Proposal)

8 minutes ago, The Lock said:

As soon as they signed Hall that left the question open to what would Skinner's role be. However, because of that, perhaps next year Skinner could have a bounce back if Hall doesn't resign and no one else is there to take that 1 or 2 left wing spot from Skinner.

I think that's really what it comes down to. Skinner is probably one of the last people you want to use on the 3rd or 4th line. He's kind of offense or bust; otherwise, we wouldn't be worried as much about his production if he at least came with other abilities.

Not like he killed it without Hall either though is it? 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

To be honest, Hall's not really played that much better than Skinner did last year. 1 goal in 20 games for Hall. oof

Yes he's expensive.  Wow.   Bet on himself and it's not working out so well is it?

52 minutes ago, The Lock said:

As soon as they signed Hall that left the question open to what would Skinner's role be. However, because of that, perhaps next year Skinner could have a bounce back if Hall doesn't resign and no one else is there to take that 1 or 2 left wing spot from Skinner.

I think that's really what it comes down to. Skinner is probably one of the last people you want to use on the 3rd or 4th line. He's kind of offense or bust; otherwise, we wouldn't be worried as much about his production if he at least came with other abilities. Being paid a 9mil cap hit a year to score means you need to be among the elite, which is a tall order for someone on the 3rd or 4th line.

its amazing how often we see that happen. A GM has one view and a coach another. You'd think teams would want to have a little more alignment with that kind of thing. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

its amazing how often we see that happen. A GM has one view and a coach another. You'd think teams would want to have a little more alignment with that kind of thing. 

Very true.

Actually, thinking about this, they really should keep Skinner anyway in case if Hall walks at the end of the year.

27 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes he's expensive.  Wow.   Bet on himself and it's not working out so well is it?

Yeah. Buffalo in general though: no one is at a point per game pace, not even Eichel, so it may not be Hall in general. It's a hard division they're in and no one's really stepping up aside from maybe Olofsson (although I haven't been paying much attention to them so maybe there are others stepping up that I don't know about).

6 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Very true.

Actually, thinking about this, they really should keep Skinner anyway in case if Hall walks at the end of the year.

that's pretty much their only choice, flip Hall for anything they can and try to retool with Skinner. Its not like the guy have never achieved anything, there's got to be some hope to get more out of him. 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

that's pretty much their only choice, flip Hall for anything they can and try to retool with Skinner. Its not like the guy have never achieved anything, there's got to be some hope to get more out of him. 

Yeah. It's only one season and he's proven to bounce back after having bad seasons. There's not much point in thinking he won't do it otherwise (although I know some people are just that needlessly negative about things anyway lol).

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Bet on himself and it's not working out so well is it?

True.

But let's not underestimate the grossly negligent spending habits of many NHL GM's.  Someone is going to pay him, poor season or not, in hopes he'll return to MVP level play. 

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Yeah. It's only one season and he's proven to bounce back after having bad seasons. There's not much point in thinking he won't do it otherwise (although I know some people are just that needlessly negative about things anyway lol).

It is not only his 1 point in 17 games this year, but his 23 points in 59 games last year...........still not worthy of 9 million a year, by a long shot.he was also -22

This is not a 1 year trend...imo

I am sure it does not help to have Hall taking away his time, but he has failed terribly 

Just now, janisahockeynut said:

It is not only his 1 point in 17 games this year, but his 23 points in 59 games last year...........still not worthy of 9 million a year, by a long shot.he was also -22

This is not a 1 year trend...imo

I am sure it does not help to have Hall taking away his time, but he has failed terribly 

Curious. Do you think that Skinner is dragging down Buffalo or is Buffalo dragging down Skinner? Or perhaps they're both dragging down each other at this point?

I ask because one of the major issues Buffalo has had is, after Eichel, they didn't really have a number 2 center until this season when they got Staal. As a result, last year, there was really only one LW slot with a solid center in Eichel whereas this year there is 2, but Hall and Olofsson have those spots.

On a random note, I guess we should be thankful we don't have that problem. Our middle might be our greatest strength. lol

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Curious. Do you think that Skinner is dragging down Buffalo or is Buffalo dragging down Skinner? Or perhaps they're both dragging down each other at this point?

I ask because one of the major issues Buffalo has had is, after Eichel, they didn't really have a number 2 center until this season when they got Staal. As a result, last year, there was really only one LW slot with a solid center in Eichel whereas this year there is 2, but Hall and Olofsson have those spots.

On a random note, I guess we should be thankful we don't have that problem. Our middle might be our greatest strength. lol

That is a great question! All I know, is on HF Boards, my proposal was met with pitch forks from Sabre fans..........so I guess Buffalo is on the no go list! LOL

On us having centers.................yes, we are very lucky!

5 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

That is a great question! All I know, is on HF Boards, my proposal was met with pitch forks from Sabre fans..........so I guess Buffalo is on the no go list! LOL

On us having centers.................yes, we are very lucky!

Yeah, I kind of wondered how Sabre fans would think about this. It's why in my first post on this thread, I mentioned how Buffalo probably wouldn't do the trade. lol

Edited by The Lock
  • Cheers 1

And if he didn't deliberately trip EP, Petey would have scored one of the highlight goals of the ages. 

7 hours ago, IBatch said:

Imagine signing a 30/30 guy to 9x8 .... just wow.   Wow.   Like WTF...this contract is 3 times worse then LEs, LE career is debatably better then Skinners over the same time period before they were UFAs...could become the worst contract in the history of the NHL.

9 minutes ago, The Lock said:

Yeah, I kind of wondered how Sabre fans would think about this. It's why in my first post on this thread, I mentioned how Buffalo probably wouldn't do the trade. lol

I just came back from HF Boards, and I challenge all the neigh sayer's

Just Tell me what you will do............nothing and eat 9 million a year for the next 6 years?

or find a workable trade? or Buy him out.............If they buy him out it is still 39 million dollars, which is half a million more per year than Loui

I guess they just live with him........lol................I hope they love it as much as we did.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, janisahockeynut said:

I just came back from HF Boards, and I challenge all the neigh sayer's

Just Tell me what you will do............nothing and eat 9 million a year for the next 6 years?

or find a workable trade? or Buy him out.............If they buy him out it is still 39 million dollars, which is half a million more per year than Loui

I guess they just live with him........lol................I hope they love it as much as we did.

I mean, it's one of those mistakes where you kind of have to just eat it up. He's not injured so he's not money you can just put on LTIR and he's clearly not producing. They don't really have much of a choice in a similar way to how we don't have much of a choice with Eriksson.

Actually, this might be a good comparison. Think about all the proposals we had here about shipping a pick or a prospect or both along with Eriksson just to get rid of his contract and how much backlash those proposals saw even here.

• Cheers 1

22 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I mean, it's one of those mistakes where you kind of have to just eat it up. He's not injured so he's not money you can just put on LTIR and he's clearly not producing. They don't really have much of a choice in a similar way to how we don't have much of a choice with Eriksson.

Actually, this might be a good comparison. Think about all the proposals we had here about shipping a pick or a prospect or both along with Eriksson just to get rid of his contract and how much backlash those proposals saw even here.

Some still think a second rounder will be enough to get rid of LE next year.    That would be some miracle work right there. 

• Cheers 2

I think there are teams that would be open to taking Skinner on with 50% retained without Buffalo having to include, not just one, but TWO lottery picks. 

I'd do it for just Skinner and the BUF 2021 1st. Imagine being able to add 2 of the stud D prospects in this draft? (Power, Lambos, Hughes, Brandt...) Our perennially shallow D prospect pool would be a thing of the past. But I wouldn't buy out Skinner, not for a couple of years at least. I'd expect he'd still be an upgrade on Pearson.

1 hour ago, The Lock said:

Totally agree i  the comparisons to a point

But the differences were that Eriksson's contract was structured poorly, and his buy out would really not given us much relief

Where as Skinners is a much better deal............albeit, still alot 6.5 average, in comparison to 9 million

Which is why, I suggested a team, take part of the pain, then you basically knock it down from 9 to 6.5 to 3.25, which is far more palatable

But if a second team is going to take 3.5 a year X 6 = 21ish (simple math), then that is spread over 12 years, which drops it down to less than 2 Million per on average

So that is less than 2 Million compared to 9 million cap hit, albeit stretched over 12 years. What is does do is open up a hell alot of cap space

So yes, that costs....even when you put Eriksson and Roussel's last years into it, you are still left with spending 11 million as a trading team........

What is 11 million bucks bring you? I say at least Cozens and a unprotected 1st............if it was 21 Million, they would to give you the arena too!

So, I guess they are eating 54 million bucks.....................I hope they chew it well, before swallowing.