The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Dominik Simon, Valtteri Filppula, Mason Geertsen

7 minutes ago, nux4lyfe said:

You do realize that before we signed him he went through a physical and was cleared. If he stayed healthy he brings an element this team really misses.

Passing a physical doesn't mean anything when we're talking about concussions.

See:  Tim Connolly, Marc Savard, etc.

22 hours ago, Dazzle said:

CDC is really strange. People have been against signing players to long-term contracts, all the while being rah-rah about how Calgary improved by adding in Tanev and Markstrom who are both signed to long terms.

It seems people want to bash Benning, but contradict themselves at the same time. LOL.

I'm all for bashing certain people if they deserve it, but you must make a good case. I think our hindsight will eventually lead us to think that we did the right thing this off-season.

Coaching staff has to go and there needs to be a major overhaul of the roster, especially when the contracts expire.

Benning shouldn't be bashed for tan and marky. 

He should be bashed for letting toffoli go and signing Jake to that terrible contract and all the other terrible contracts and wasted cap.

Ericsson was a disaster 

Losing hamhuis and vrbata for nothing.

He can never pull the trigger when he need him to on an expired contract and he signs terrible contracts.

The only thing he has going for him is drafting and with top end picks success is expected at the draft.

• Sad 1

10 minutes ago, 10pavelbure96 said:

Benning shouldn't be bashed for tan and marky. 

He should be bashed for letting toffoli go and signing Jake to that terrible contract and all the other terrible contracts and wasted cap.

Ericsson was a disaster 

Losing hamhuis and vrbata for nothing.

He can never pull the trigger when he need him to on an expired contract and he signs terrible contracts.

The only thing he has going for him is drafting and with top end picks success is expected at the draft.

I disagree - I think the Tanev decision was harder than Toffoli (I'd have 'let TT was before Tanev) - and I hate rentals, so I probably wouldn't have made the TT deal in the first place, although if circumstances unfolded as 'expected' it's hard(er) to argue with.

But what I'm really curious about is how you can call the Virtanen contract 'terrible'.  What do you base that on?

Vrbata would not waive - so you might want to look closer at contexts before making your lists.   Vanek on the other hand - brought Motte here and CDC lots it's mind complaining he wasn't a draft pick (some people just want to complain, period).   Hamhuis gave a Kesler list - Benning didn't sign him or give him the limiting clause, so again, your example is pretty weak imo.

Basically - it boils down to Eriksson.....the dead horse - and btw - there are many dead horse contracts around the league - chances are you'd have one regardless of who your GM is.   Would you have preferred Marleau?   Skinner?  Ladd?   Lucic?   Okposo?  etc, etc.   Lots of teams have picked their poison.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

On 3/4/2021 at 5:25 PM, oldnews said:

I disagree - I think the Tanev decision was harder than Toffoli (I'd have 'let TT was before Tanev) - and I hate rentals, so I probably wouldn't have made the TT deal in the first place, although if circumstances unfolded as 'expected' it's hard(er) to argue with.

But what I'm really curious about is how you can call the Virtanen contract 'terrible'.  What do you base that on?

Vrbata would not waive - so you might want to look closer at contexts before making your lists.   Vanek on the other hand - brought Motte here and CDC lots it's mind complaining he wasn't a draft pick (some people just want to complain, period).   Hamhuis gave a Kesler list - Benning didn't sign him or give him the limiting clause, so again, your example is pretty weak imo.

Basically - it boils down to Eriksson.....the dead horse - and btw - there are many dead horse contracts around the league - chances are you'd have one regardless of who your GM is.   Would you have preferred Marleau?   Skinner?  Ladd?   Lucic?   Okposo?  etc, etc.   Lots of teams have picked their poison.

Strongly disagree with your assesment of Toffoli. We don't even make it to the bubble without Toffoli. He played a massive part in wins down the stretch before the pandemic, and if you recall we barely made it in. He didn't play a big part in the bubble because he was injured, but he gave us fans an extra month or so worth of hockey. Tanev, im in the middle, its tough losing a player like him but sometimes, a team just needs a new look. Schmidt has turned out pretty good, just in a different way in comparison to Tanev

6 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Strongly disagree with your assesment of Toffoli. We don't even make it to the bubble without Toffoli. He played a massive part in wins down the stretch before the pandemic, and if you recall we barely made it in. He didn't play a big part in the bubble because he was injured, but he gave us fans an extra month or so worth of hockey. Tanev, im in the middle, its tough losing a player like him but sometimes, a team just needs a new look. Schmidt has turned out pretty good, just in a different way in comparison to Tanev

That's completely untrue.

Canucks went 4-5-1 with Toffoli. But even if they missed all 9 points, and went 0-10-0, they still would have finished with 2 more points than the Ducks, in 2 less games played.

Edited by D-Money

7 hours ago, filthycanuck said:

Schmidt is not really relevant - not a comparable to Tanev - and more importantly, not Hughes' partner. It's not an either/or, Tanev/Schmidt question.

Further - Toffoli would occupy a top 6 RW position - where the Canucks had Boeser, Hoglander in cue, and Podkolzin on the way.

On the other hand - there is absolutely nothing comparable in terms of future partners for Hughes in the system.  I'm ok with the Hamonic option - he's not Tanev but he's a steal at 1 x 1.25 and certainly adequate.  The matter of who succeeds Tanev as Hughes future partner is far more important than Toffoli - and RHD are far harder to come by than wingers.

Edited by oldnews
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, oldnews said:

Schmidt is not really relevant - not a comparable to Tanev - and more importantly, not Hughes' partner. It's not an either/or, Tanev/Schmidt question.

Further - Toffoli would occupy a top 6 RW position - where the Canucks had Boeser, Hoglander in cue, and Podkolzin on the way.

On the other hand - there is absolutely nothing comparable in terms of future partners for Hughes in the system.  I'm ok with the Hamonic option - he's not Tanev but he's a steal at 1 x 1.25 and certainly adequate.  The matter of who succeeds Tanev as Hughes future partner is far more important than Toffoli - and RHD are far harder to come by than wingers.

Jett Woo will be Hughes' partner in a few years. He's a +5 in 8 games with 0 points with the Utica Comets, he's a solid stay-at-home kind of guy. If Woo fails, which I don't believe he will as he projects as a solid top 4 defenseman. Corson Ceulemans from this year's draft would be a great partner for Hughes. 

On 3/3/2021 at 6:56 PM, Dazzle said:

CDC is really strange. People have been against signing players to long-term contracts, all the while being rah-rah about how Calgary improved by adding in Tanev and Markstrom who are both signed to long terms.

It seems people want to bash Benning, but contradict themselves at the same time. LOL.

I'm all for bashing certain people if they deserve it, but you must make a good case. I think our hindsight will eventually lead us to think that we did the right thing this off-season.

Coaching staff has to go and there needs to be a major overhaul of the roster, especially when the contracts expire.

Because that would change the narrative.