The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | March 4, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, TSN4

Rate this topic

-SN-

5 minutes ago, dork said:

Is Drance the new Botch here? 

No, he is in a class by himself but most of the pundits these days are lazy and lacks alot of context in there commentary - boring.  PersonalIy, I prefer the X players instead.

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, dork said:

Not even close. Botch was great no matter what people thought of him. He’s the type of guy we needed in Vancouver sports media. Drance is good in writing but not a good fit on camera. Ah man, I miss Botch and his outlandish takes. RIP. 

• Cheers 3

15 minutes ago, dork said:

12 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

At least Botch had some talent 

Nah. Botch I'd be frustrated with at times, but there was something endearing about him where I still wanted to engage. One moment I could legit want to pull my hair out over a take, then the next just be laughing at some great story of him & Jpat on the road. Or even feeling good about an optimistic take. 

Theres a self righteousness to Drance thats off-putting. Like I barely listen to the VanCast anymore, and I don't follow his stories.

Botch didn't have that. He was very passionate & wanted his stuff to do good - and he played up a character - but at the end of the day he was a genuine guy.

Edited by Smashian Kassian
  • Like 3

Wasn’t a Botch fan but I liked that!

I guess I’m in the minority then because I remember he took SO much flak for that quote. I thought it was hilarious and interesting. It’s almost like fans are content to get all the same boring and fatuous questions. Somebody does something good... “how good did that feel?” “How important was it to jump out to that 4 goal lead?”  Come off it, do people really want to just hear that same old stuff night after night?

2 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Wasn’t a Botch fan but I liked that!

I guess I’m in the minority then because I remember he took SO much flak for that quote. I thought it was hilarious and interesting. It’s almost like fans are content to get all the same boring and fatuous questions. Somebody does something good... “how good did that feel?” “How important was it to jump out to that 4 goal lead?”  Come off it, do people really want to just hear that same old stuff night after night?

I remember he was on Thats Hockey with Geno Redo and I think Lebrun IIRC (the ultimate Sharks tire-pumper at the time), and he took legit flack from both, but held his ground admirably.

And I didn't even follow his work at the time either, but it was pretty good - stuck with me.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Yeah, like two minutes here and there, Hard to be consistent when you are not consistently deployed.

Playing consistently would probably help him be consistently deployed. He certainly did have a great game tonight, and has played well for the past few games. 

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

His mom hasn't tweeted about him yet and he somehow wound up with 12:16 of ice time 

Made a few mistakes, but had good hustle in the offensive zone and didn't really look out of place on the ice 

Yes you could see he got more confident as the game went on. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Fan since 82 said:

Playing consistently would probably help him be consistently deployed. He certainly did have a great game tonight, and has played well for the past few games. 

I've been beating this drum.  And I do t even care about goal scoring-just be a pita when you don't have the puck and I'll be happy.

• Cheers 2