The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | March 4, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, TSN4

Rate this topic

Solid effort tonight. Demko looked like a #1, the boys stepped up and played like a hungry team in the 3rd, and Jake is one step closer to ensuring #18 will hang from the rafters.

......ok, I was kidding about that last part. Nice to see the kid pot a couple though.

• Haha 1
  • Vintage 2
6 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

He’s the original Drance. Super stain. 

I donno, Phil. Everybody has their unique opinions in the media members that cover the Canucks. Some are meh and some are controversial. IMO, the best but controversial of the bunch over the years, ala Neil McRae, Tony Gallagher, and Jason Botchford were not exactly the most adored folks amongst Canuck personnel and fans alike but told it how it was. I always loved Neil McRae and his hard ass opinions, Tony G and his felt like uber negative yet not to far fetched takes, and Botch’s smart, crafted approaches. Jeff Paterson was one of those folks too until he was let go. I reached out to J Pat after he was laid off and he genuinely told me how deeply he cares about the Vancouver Canucks and how he loves following this team and how he wants them to succeed. People can paint these guys with a negative brush but in all reality it’s their job to ask the hard questions and come off as negative but in all reality these types are needed or else you’ll need up with a bunch of robotic head nodders like those employed by 650. 

• Hydration 2
4 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

I've been beating this drum.  And I do t even care about goal scoring-just be a pita when you don't have the puck and I'll be happy.

Not 100% sure what you mean by being a pita but I'm sure it makes sense to you :lol:

Still a lot of loose plays and to many turnovers for my liking but they got the W.

That was one of the better games I’ve seen demko play. Positionally he’s is very good but he always gives up a lot of rebounds (mostly kicks out wide) but today he seemed not just playing in goal but owning it. 

his glove hand looked stronger and he was covering the puck a lot quicker rather than pushing it out wide.

Great to see JV get two goals. He looked like he was having a lot of fun out there tonight. 

while I don’t like saying it without EP tonight and the juggling around of the lines it looked a lot more balanced both going forward and the players tracking back. 

• Hydration 3
39 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

POSTGAME | Thatcher Demko

Be thankful what you wish for, we could have Sutter as a new coach!! 

Wow the Flames fairies will never put up with his hard core style of coaching. 

Dumb dumb move Lames!? 

Sutter makes Torts look like a 2011 Canuck vs a Bruin. 

Now the flames will be crying and out of the picture, and EDM goalies becoming EDM goalies, we could sneak in the 4th spot!! 

• Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 1
On 3/3/2021 at 2:24 PM, NUCKER67 said:

I wonder what Benning saw in Virtanen over Nylander.

If both met their potential, I think its pretty clear.

• Hydration 1
1 hour ago, fanfor42 said:

Discussion of Miller's performance at centre.  I thought it was good.  His line played pretty well.

Question if Miller and Petey and Horvat all play centre that is 3 strong centres.  What do we do to fill out the wings?  And is that better than lotto plus horvat's line then a lousy 3rd.  It's a good question.

I think we may trend that way if Gaudette can't develop as a centre and we have nobody else.  Michaelis ain't it by the way.

Hoglander Petey Boeser

Pearson Horvat JV

Podkolzin Miller AG

Motte Beagle Sutter 

Macewan Michaelis Hawryluk 

2 hours ago, Pickly said:

Awe man it’s good when the Canucks win games like this. Keeps the negativity to a minimum for a day or two, gives the ultra optimists a false sense of hope this team is not as bad as most of us make it, and gives us this weird sense of assurance that this team is actually capable to the of playing good hockey against good teams. 

well Pick, there is a middle ground between the 2 because it's not what happens now as far as standings or playoffs go, more like where this team is headed with the few tweaks that are needed, we needed some before and have some but we're getting closer to being done, I'm not even concerned in the least how our team does right now, experience and the tweaks will make us a much better team in the long run but I realize that's not what people want to hear... usually it's sell the farm for a one trick pony... no thanks, we've been there and done that, no cup, no thanks..  

• Hydration 3

Yeah, Canucks win tonight without Petey.

Demko continues his hot hand, hoping Green will play him in the coming games until he plays a bad game.

Jake became shotgun again, great!

The whole team put great effort for the full 60 minutes.

Honestly I don't know Michaelis, who is looked not bad

GO CANUCKS GO

1 hour ago, Pickly said:

I donno, Phil. Everybody has their unique opinions in the media members that cover the Canucks. Some are meh and some are controversial. IMO, the best but controversial of the bunch over the years, ala Neil McRae, Tony Gallagher, and Jason Botchford were not exactly the most adored folks amongst Canuck personnel and fans alike but told it how it was. I always loved Neil McRae and his hard ass opinions, Tony G and his felt like uber negative yet not to far fetched takes, and Botch’s smart, crafted approaches. Jeff Paterson was one of those folks too until he was let go. I reached out to J Pat after he was laid off and he genuinely told me how deeply he cares about the Vancouver Canucks and how he loves following this team and how he wants them to succeed. People can paint these guys with a negative brush but in all reality it’s their job to ask the hard questions and come off as negative but in all reality these types are needed or else you’ll need up with a bunch of robotic head nodders like those employed by 650. 

Actually, I don't, those media you speak of deal with the team in their opinions, and not fact based and not that particularly smart either when it comes to hockey, none of those on you list that I saw, said anything good about the TJ Miller bit, they simply said the same thing as all the other media around the league and ended up looking just as stupid. I only recall one media person getting it right and calling it a good move, but in reality it was a steal in more than one way, even first round picks can have a difficult time  breaking into the NHL and some are complete busts so we already had a guy stepping in who was a proven nhl'r and we couldn't go wrong with it and it was true, he was ahead in scoring at the end of last season against some pretty good players but if the media and those folks who listen to the  had have done their homework instead of listening they wouldn't have looked as stupid as the media did but in the end JB got us what we needed so one less sport to worry about..  Now all we need is Podz to show up and upgrade our D with another top 4 which is easily doable and then we're set... 

Edited by iceman64
3 hours ago, oldnews said:

Beagle won every draw he took tonight.

Sutter was 67%

Miller 60%

Horvat 38%

Thought Edler and Schmidt were solid (as usual).

Edler ? Solid ? 
c’mon i can ride the positivity wave all you want but mannn do we saw the same game ? 
penality, slow footing, weak clearing attempts, weak reading... 

i cant wait for his contract to terminate. 

Edited by deus.ex.makina
  • Hydration 1
  • RoughGame 2
6 hours ago, nucksnavsfan said:

Wait, just got here what happened to Petey ?
against the Leafs omg

his parents called him from the mothership, he is rejuvenating in the hyper  chamber will be out 2 weeks...!!!!!

1 hour ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Solid game by everyone tonight but make no mistake, we were playing a tired Toronto team on the end of a back-to-back on the road and we'd had some rest.

Boeser was good tonight but not great, made some nifty plays and had some nice passes but nothing spectacular. I thought Miller looked a bit stronger but that was an absolutely stupid play on the offensive blueline where he got stripped to lead to an odd-man rush against. At the start of the season our goalies weren't stopping those but Demko is finally here to play so it doesn't look too bad on Miller, but these dumb risky plays as last-man-back on the offensive blueline have to stop. Everyone else seems to have stopped them but Miller is still doing them. Horvat was a beast tonight, similar to how Malkin played when Crosby's injured, he really stepped up tonight, played big minutes all over the ice. Hate to say it but without Pettersson this team played like more of a team and less trying to get Petey out to score big goals. That 3rd goal by Horvat was clutch but he knew exactly what he had to do, a hard shift on the ice and then he flings the puck top shelf against their top line.

Hoglander was flying tonight, some nice passes and obviously hard work. Great game for Jake, credit where credit is due. He was skating well, forcing defencemen back with his confidence, it was good to see. My only caveat is that the first goal wouldn't have gone in if Muzzin hadn't knocked it in, and the second one was a weak goal by their goalie, shouldn't be allowing a sharp angle shot in like that. That being said, brilliant power move on the 1st goal lead to the crash in the crease and nice shot to pick the top corner on the 2nd goal. Let's hope this sparks something for him, he's been playing on our second line for a couple of games now but hopefully this will get a bit of a streak going to erase those terrible offensive stats this season.

I thought our 3rd and 4th lines played well, Gaudette looked good to me with some nice skating up the ice. Of course Michaelis gets victimized defensively but can't really blame him when Hughes is all the way up the other end of the ice. Still, he and Hamonic didn't deal with that rush defensively at all well but can't expect a rookie to cover defensively like that.

On defence, a really tight game. It's great to see these new pairings, ever since Hamonic has come back we've really stabilised things. Taking Benn away from Hughes has made all the difference - Hamonic is much more stable and a better skater so can come back and cover Hughes gaps much better similar to how Tanev used to. Hamonic was brilliant all over the ice again, he can skate well and his shots actually make it through traffic unlike most of our shots. It'd be interesting to get our record up with and without Hamonic because IMO it's been very similar to when Tanev was in and out of the lineup. JB better sign this guy to a longer-term deal because at his price he's the best 20 minute defenceman in the league.

Edler and Schmidt had a solid game, a couple of gaps in their coverage lead to some nice chances by the Leafs but that's going to happen against their top players and luckily Demko shut them down, but they were mainly just a couple of chances from the wide slot. Myers and Benn looked surprisingly stable too, Myers has been IMO our best all-around defenceman all season so pairing him with Benn is interesting but the two looked good together and there's much more stability there than anyone with Hughes. As for Hughes, I am getting a bit sick of his stupid defensive awareness. Yes it's lovely racking up assists and pinching, but he was only thinking one thing on the Leafs goal - pinch and score a goal. The kid needs to round out his game better or he'll never be considered a good defenceman. Leading the league in defencemen points and he's not going to be considered for a Norris any time soon, whereas you see Makar making that conversation already. He just needs to tone down the aggressiveness of his game. Last season he pinched well and was aggressive at the offensive blueline, but when he lost the puck or the rush was going the other way he was always in a position to skate back hard and break up the play. This season I find that he's so far forward he can't make it back and we've got a proper breakaway or odd-man rush the other way, and tonight he left Hamonic and a rookie to defend an odd man rush which didn't go well. This is where the coach needs to pull him (and Miller aside for his sloppy play at the blueline) and tell them to play the safe play at that point. I worry that Green isn't doing that - he's encouraging these high risk plays and we see it translate to goals sometimes, but more often than not it's an odd-man rush the other way and you just can't play that way against these highly offensive Canadian teams.

In net of course Demko has finally stolen the starter role and as he's hot right now and Holtby is playing like garbage, I think for the forseable future Demko should get all the starts except for back-to-backs. Of course, Demko's hot streak will end and they'll normalise a bit but until then, play him hard because we have a lot of ground to make up.

Next game will be big, Toronto will be rested and you know their stars will feature more offensively so let's hope the defence and Demko come up strong again.

we were a tired team the first 20 games since the season started.... we never complained!!!! lol 

• Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, CptCanuck16 said:

Solid effort tonight. Demko looked like a #1, the boys stepped up and played like a hungry team in the 3rd, and Jake is one step closer to ensuring #18 will hang from the rafters.

......ok, I was kidding about that last part. Nice to see the kid pot a couple though.

Nah, I think you're serious and ashamed to admit it.  Besides I heard they were constructing some type of contraption out of wood & rope at the far end of the rink to hang #18 in a more deserving fashion rather than from the rafters.  That's why they moved the six retired jerseys down to the other end of the rink - to avoid messing them up during 18's hanging..

Edited by RU SERIOUS
4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

If he can keep his play near this level for the rest of the season I say we keep him 

Solves our Hughes partner question in the short-term 

I think if he continues this level re-signing him should be one of the top options. Kind of funny how the optics have changed in the last little bit on the Tanev and Marky fronts. Those deals will not age well. 

4 hours ago, MattJVD said:

Yeah, I think Rooster. I'd try (after Virtanen's really strong game)

Miller - Pettersson - Boeser

Hoglander - Horvat - Virtanen

Pearson - Sutter - Gaudette

MacEwan - Beagle - Motte

Switch Hogs and Jake and I think Jayce deserves another look over Mac if Motte comes back.