The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | March 4, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, TSN4

Rate this topic

I like Miller as a centre too.  Nice to have an in-house solution if Gaudette can't handle it and we don't retain Sutter.  It's easier to get a winger by draft, trade or FA than it is a centre. 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
14 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Philly came all the way back to take the lead after being down 3 - 0 just 4 mins into the game

4 - 3 flyers. Final

Damn, cocky for good reason I guess... 

• Haha 1
24 minutes ago, appleboy said:

EP struggles a bit with faceoffs.

Why not try EP at lw for a bit?

Petterrson - Horvat - Virtanen 

Pearson - Miller - Boeser

Hoglander - Sutter - Gaudette

Motte - Beagle - MacEwan 

Prefer Hogs in top 6, but dont like Pearson with Suts.

• Vintage 1
2 hours ago, Patrik Laine said:

I was in this bar once, and in walked a three legged dog. The dog said in a rough voice " im looking for the man who shot my paw." True story. 

Did you ever find him?

17 minutes ago, 'NucK™ said:

Damn, cocky for good reason I guess... 

Flyers are legit IMO. And with a deep pool of prospects still coming and a lot of key YOUNG guys just scratching the surface. 

Pretty good coach too ;)

Edited by aGENT
14 hours ago, gameburn said:

The Leafs have matured, they really have gotten better.  We did too last year.  But this year is a real set back for us. Breaks my heart.  

I hate to say it, but the management in Vancouver has been too nice, too generous.

A less nice bunch would have parked Eriksson in Utica last year so that he'd have moved on by now, probably re-signed somewhere else in the past summer.  Still don't know why the team paid Edler so much to come back for two last years.  Edler has been just terrible.  Cannot skate to save his life.  Looks lost and passive every time fast players start buzzing around him.  A less nice bunch would not have re-signed him.  A more honest management would have parked him in the seats with Eriksson by now, so that the younger D could get a chance.  They can at least defend against the rush.     A more ruthless management would have found ways to move Tanev and Markstrom well before their UFA deadlines.  And found a way to pay Beagle and Roussel less and for less years.   For that matter, a less sentimental bunch would have moved the Sedins for picks while they still had value.  I used to think that being nice and fair was the way to go in any management system, but I don't know now... 

Don’t agree with you on Edler there. A lot of teams would have paid him that. It would have turned out to be one of those situations where if Edler was on another team we’d be kicking ourselves. Edler has been massively under appreciated during his time here. 30 other teams would love to have him even at his age.

I wouldn’t have moved the Sedins either and they wouldn’t have allowed it either. My only wish is that the started the rebuild with the Sedins instead of re-tooling. We’ve only been rebuilding for 3 years since then.

I get what you’re saying about the niceness though. I would have fought to keep a guy like Manny and promoted him as oppose to giving him the ol’ good for you Manny. 

I would have signed Beagle still. He takes a lot of pressure off for other players, is a warrior and imo hard to beat for a 4th line centre/elite penalty killer. Roussel on the other hand was signed too long and too much. He simply isn’t a very effective player imo 

• Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
41 minutes ago, reyezone said:

Michaelis was OK but in my opinion Hawryluk was the reason the 4th line was so effective. He appears to be a very smart player with good speed and puck management/decision making. I thought he was outstanding last night. 

Great to hear!!!  I always knew Hawryluk was gonna be a huge upgrade over legendary LE!! 

• Like 1
  • Vintage 1
1 hour ago, gameburn said:

What a difference personality/likability makes.  Ali was originally controversial, but always clever and approachable... Tyson ended up being seen as little more than a mentally challenged rapist.  In their primes though: man I wouldn't want to be facing Tyson.  I remember fights where very good opponents were simply frightened, unable to execute whatever their plan was.  The challenge was to survive the first half of the first round!  Lennox Lewis was the kind of fighter who could survive Tyson... but who else? To the best of my recollection, Holyfield didn't face the Tyson we saw early on. 

In theory, Tyson should have changed boxing: eliminated the feeling out round, brought back stocky inside fighting, ended long fights with controversial decisions, made it more like mma really, when I think of it.  Fast, memorable short fights. 

MMA didn't exist back then so not sure about that reference.  Tyson beat some very excellent fighters, guys with much better reach and half a foot taller then him.   Was a monster really - has said he knew before the fight started he'd beat guys just because of their eyes before it started.   And some of those guys were seriously staring him down (go look for a laugh).   For sure his legacy will always be affected by his behaviour - in the ring before that - the sport had never seen anything like it and hasn't since.    Rocky Marciano.   He's the best of the best of the best to this day.   Both fighters launched their entire body into their power punches.  As far as what if's go - that is one fight id like to see. 

Edit:  As an aside - i love boxing and train 4-5 times a week.    We do Tyson (who was quick enough to do things most middle weights would find hard) and Rocky drills which are way more smooth left-side-right side back and forth.  Tyson was so quick he'd do double hooks and double uppercuts on the same side.   Tyson drill:  Left (lead hand) hook - body - hook- head hook body hook head for three minutes - x 3 round.   Marciano drill:  Lead hand jab, cross, lead hand uppercut (back and forth) followed by cross, lead jab,  power hand uppercut  back and forth - six moves lx 3, 3 minute rounds.   The sport was changed by both these guys.  Tyson drills also same thing by double uppercuts.... both drills are tough but Tyson drills go way way against the grain. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
10 hours ago, xereau said:

I can see the Habs and Nucks making some kinda trade when they're in town.

Weber for Myers, Roussel and Gaudette.

• Haha 3
1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

The Aqulinis have been accused of a lot of things, but cheap doesn't cut it as a criticism of them, these guys spend to the max every year and have invested in all kinds of things over the years, even Gillis' weird ideas. I don't blame him for being mad at Jim asking for buyouts tbh. 

Your right they spend, spend stupidly and look where it got the team...

32 minutes ago, Oldmanpower said:

Keep Miller at center please

Interesting.  No one has commented on this, except you, to the best of my knowledge.  What would the team look like if Miller became a regular at that position?  Pettersson return to wing, or would we have three topline centers?  It would make sending Sutter and Beagle to the trade block easy enough.

4 minutes ago, AbrasiveAjax said:

got themselves a promising young team with a bright future?

That’s due to drafting well not spending smart.

2 hours ago, yes we can nucks said:

The coaches are falling like dominoes this season. Lames just fired Ward. Bergervin could be next. Is Green on thin ice?

Who is coach Bergervin?