The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | March 4, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, TSN4

Rate this topic

-SN-

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

As an aside - i love boxing and train 4-5 times a week.

I am happy that you have something to train for. However, I have stopped watching both boxing and MMA because these two sports have one goal in mind: give the opponent some brain damage!  After being a boxing fan in the 60's and 70's I eventually woke up when I heard old boxers, like the Quarry brothers being interviewed and realized how much damage their brains had. Now I played rugby for 35 years, and you can get concussions in that (and many other sports, even figure skating!), but that is not the main goal of the sport. Whereas when you are trying to knock someone out (concussion) as the goal in the sport that is not good. Your training seems to be against a puching bag, so that is good. Keep it up!

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, wloutet said:

I am happy that you have something to train for. However, I have stopped watching both boxing and MMA because these two sports have one goal in mind: give the opponent some brain damage!  After being a boxing fan in the 60's and 70's I eventually woke up when I heard old boxers, like the Quarry brothers being interviewed and realized how much damage their brains had. Now I played rugby for 35 years, and you can get concussions in that (and many other sports, even figure skating!), but that is not the main goal of the sport. Whereas when you are trying to knock someone out (concussion) as the goal in the sport that is not good. Your training seems to be against a puching bag, so that is good. Keep it up!

I read I think Curt Fraser had some martial arts training during his playing days.  Probably needed it as his team often faced the Punch McLean New West Bruins at Queens Park Arena before entering the NHL.  Would explain his legit knockout ability (can't be just lucky punches)

I wonder if Fraser & Smyl ever faced off against each other?

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan

1 hour ago, gurn said:

They told it as they saw it, not necessarily how it was. Just like the rest of us, how we see it isn't always how it is.

Exactly.  They made a lot of bottomfeeder noise - in order to gain attention = the worst thing about the devolution of their 'profession'.

• Upvote 1

As for me, I like the team. 

Such an exciting time to be a fan... Jake is turning a corner and our team is filled with young stars who are developing and gelling as every day goes by. 

Playoffs or bust! 

Edited by apollo
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Exactly.  They made a lot of bottomfeeder noise - in order to gain attention = the worst thing about the devolution of their 'profession'.

Dan Russell radio show was something I rarely missed listening to. That is until he didn't hide his hate when I think he got turned down for a Canucks announcer gig.  But I'm going by memory and this was several decades ago.

3 minutes ago, oldnews said:

Myers - much maligned on these boards - had an unreal night last night imo.

17 defensive zone starts (team high by a fair margin)

0 offensive zone starts.

1 hit, 2 blocks, an assist  - and an even 0 on the night.

Outstanding.

I really like Myers’ play lately. He made some really good defensive moves without taking penalty; while moving the puck very well.
Hamonic is starting to provide calm and stability, that will promise an interesting second half season.

Juolevi seems for real and i hope to see more of him to be sure what we have in him.

1 hour ago, gameburn said:

Interesting.  No one has commented on this, except you, to the best of my knowledge.  What would the team look like if Miller became a regular at that position?  Pettersson return to wing, or would we have three topline centers?  It would make sending Sutter and Beagle to the trade block easy enough.

It would take a lot of the physical wear and tear off Petie. Teams have feasted off Petie defensively and switching him would help us reduce goals against. 

Huggy also gets in trouble defending,  I would try him 11/7 4th line and pp.

He's playing wing a lot of the time as it is. Skating the whole offensive zone basically. 

• Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, deus.ex.makina said:

I really like Myers’ play lately. He made some really good defensive moves without taking penalty; while moving the puck very well.
Hamonic is starting to provide calm and stability, that will promise an interesting second half season.

Juolevi seems for real and i hope to see more of him to be sure what we have in him.

I dunno...

He can't clear the front of the net with his size. Rarely hits..(size vs refs blah blah). 

I see flashes of offensive defensemen in there, but when he is on full D. he has no reflexes. He gets lost in the mayhem

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Dan Russell radio show was something I rarely missed listening to. That is until he didn't hide his hate when I think he got turned down for a Canucks announcer gig.  But I'm going by memory and this was several decades ago.

Dan was great, I think things really went down hill after the overtime rules changed.

He just couldn't let it go.

That, and getting turned down for the play by play gig, soured the guy to unlistenable status.

Shame as it was an every night event till then.

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

I was referrring to Neil McRae - who was as toxic as they came back in the day - and the Provies hacks that @gurn referred to. 

At the same time, this market also set a high water mark in quality content imo - emanating from the Page - maybe the most innovative dedicated sports program of all time.  A lot of really good people cut their teeth at Sportspage.

I suppose when you can't compete, you opt for the attention-whore approach. Unfortunately the latter has really grown deep roots in Vancouver, whereas guys like Shorty are among the last Page guys standing. 

What Vancouver really needs - is the counterbalance to the twidiocy that is eating all the airspace.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

4 minutes ago, oldnews said:

At the same time, this market also set a high water mark in quality content imo - emanating from the Page

Nightly battle between watching the Page and listening to "Sports Talk" for a few years. Turn up the one not in commercials.

Then the Page died, then Sports Talk died.

Decade or so later Rob Fai got an evening slot, now that is gone too. :(

• Cheers 1

37 minutes ago, DarthMelvin said:

I dunno...

He can't clear the front of the net with his size. Rarely hits..(size vs refs blah blah). 

I see flashes of offensive defensemen in there, but when he is on full D. he has no reflexes. He gets lost in the mayhem

I’m agree he may be slow sometimes at taking décision. His hockey IQ was never a strength. But when he s made his mind he tends to execute well. 

Edited by deus.ex.makina

1 hour ago, wloutet said:

You do know it's just a game right?   Fighters respect each other.  It's a sport like any other and they know the risks.  BTW football has more concussions then any other sport including boxing and MMA, and rugby leads in youth sports. 

BTW:  There are three  contact points that will "knock someone out" via an involuntary action by the body that shuts everything down for 15 or so seconds - the chin, the temple and the liver.   Doesn't mean you get a concussion.   Rarely are boxers actually KOed in the sense they can't get up for minute - happens all the time in football though doesn't it?  

Edited by IBatch

News that Motte is closer to returning is welcome news to say the least.

Motte's relentless puckhounding, taking away of time and space, dogged forecheck, 200 ft hard-to -play-against game drives this team as much as anyone.

Beagle has been outstanding in his absence, but I imagine he too is looking forward to getting his wingman back.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1