The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT/PGT] Vancouver Canucks vs Toronto Maple Leaves | March 4, 2021 | 7 p.m. PT | SNP, TSN4

Rate this topic

-SN-

13 minutes ago, playboi19 said:

I wish we still had a guy like Burrows on the team. Nobody is playing with heart this year.

We need a spark-plug type of player who will bring the Canucks back to life.

Players who take the fight to the other team..  2011 Nucks were a roster full of those guys.  This team maybe has just 1 or 2 in Bo and Hogz.  Mack too.  Myers and Edler possibly.  But no one like Burr, Hansen, Kes, Juice, Torres, etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Players who take the fight to the other team..  2011 Nucks were a roster full of those guys.  This team maybe has just 1 or 2 in Bo and Hogz.  Mack too.  Myers and Edler possibly.  But no one like Burr, Hansen, Kes, Juice, Torres, etc.

Give them time to add those types of players. Lind and Gadjovic both play with a edge to their game.  

7 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

We have players like that, but they suck at the hockey part -- Roussel comes to mind.  Lots of sandpaper, no wood. 

That 2011 team pre-dates the modern salary cap system.  The salary cap system seems to kill team-building.  You keep your key 3 players, maybe as many as 5, and the rest are fillers.  It might be possible to have as many as 7 or even 10 players signed for longer durations, but it seems unlikely so far.  Your core doesn't want to get hurt, and your fillers are journeyman or young fodder who can't afford to rock the boat much.  No place for a Torres in particular. But even your cranky 2nd centers and key 2nd tier D are hard to find or keep.  Also, what is left of the enforcer system is a "no hitting our stars" system.   I.e., our core is literally untouchable.  The Keslers and Torres types would actually have a harder time now, as would Lapierre and even Hamhuis: they all would actually have the audacity to hit the other team's stars, which was a big part of the push back system that let a team change momentum, or take initiative in the first 5 minutes of a game.  

There could be other kinds of pushback than physical, for sure, but they require rare players backed by even rarer coaches.  The real problem is that teams cannot be held together over time sufficient to create a second tier of players who have an incentive to give a damn.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Motte as well 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

19 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

How much heart do you want Hogs to have?  Guy busts his ass pretty much every shift like Motte.

I started to type his name then my internet crashed....yep.  Absolutely, he's one of those guys who plays like he means it.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, appleboy said:

Give them time to add those types of players. Lind and Gadjovic both play with a edge to their game.  

Agree.  The team will look quite different during the next two seasons.  If JB plays his cards right, he may be able to unload some salary cap and pick up a guy like Laughton, Goodrow, Coleman or K.Miller in the upcoming UFA market.  Along with prospects like Podz and the two you have mentioned; this team could change its face quite rapidly.  This season is what it is, but the future looks good.

• Vintage 1

21 minutes ago, appleboy said:

SN650 really needs a new morning crew. 6 to 9 is so dry. A snooze fest.

Yup. There are whispers that some of the old 1040 crew are putting some things together. Let’s hope.

Been keeping tabs on Rathbone in Utica. First off, I’ve been pleasantly encouraged by Juolevi this year....but in saying that, Rathbone has shown more raw impact in just a handful of games than OJ did in a much longer Utica stint. Still think that OJ could be a solid piece...but Rathbone just might have the impact on the Canucks, as a 4th round (95th overall) pick, that we might have expected from our 5th overall pick. It’s just not his offensive flair and big shot...but his skating allows him to do things defensively that are just excellent. And unlike Hughes, he actually has some heft to him to MOVE PEOPLE.

As for tonight’s game....don’t expect it to be pretty. Going into the season lots people on this forum thought we’d finish ahead of the Leafs in the North Division. I kept quiet as I had a niggling feeling this could indeed be a “step back” year. I’ve learned over the years that you might want to keep these thoughts to yourself lest your Canuck fandom be questioned.  Still bullish on the next 3 or 4 years though. Some talented youngsters will flush out some of the chaff in our bottom six and on D...and this added to our current core should equate to a nice window to compete for the Cup. Not a Benning (or Green) hater by any means....just not sure anymore if they are the tandem to get us to that next step.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

JT's got that edge but he applies it liberally.

I love it when he's fired up and hits the "I've had enough" point.  It seems to be preceded by a bit of a moping but maybe it's just as he's simmering and before he vents outwardly.   

I'd hate to lose this guy....heart and emotion in spades.  Just has to fill in those blanks where he seems like he's pouting.  I love angry JT.  Not as a fighter, but as a guy who can elevate the team's emotion.  Eliminate the side/moments that can bring everyone down by not back checking, or heading to the bench like a slug when he's frustrated, etc.  Few and far between, but he seems to sometimes take an I don't give a puck stance at times that we can do without.  If one guys starts to mope it can have a ripple effect so need to keep that in check.

Burr never pouted/moped and, if ever there was a guy with reason to, he'd be the one.  All in all the time.   Motte does have that same motor and attitude.  He is missed a great deal.

I love JT's fire and emotion. But I don't like it when it's directed towards his teammates during a game, which he does sometimes...not even if he himself is perfect.  Like when he was visibly barking at Hamonic last game. It's not a good look nor is it good for team harmony. Enough of the pouting and muzzle the barking. He should try to keep his passion positive. That's what a real leader does.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Locke Lamora said:

Yup. There are whispers that some of the old 1040 crew are putting some things together. Let’s hope.

Wouldn’t that be awkward. 1040 gets taken off the air, 650 morning crew pays tribute to their fellow sports journalists, 1040 talent replaces 650 talent. Ouch, that would have to sting!

17 hours ago, PetterssonOrPeterson said:

The good old Sedin days when we used to eat the leafs for dinner is long gone now...

Although I hate the Leafs, I give them credit for one thing. They did a proper, tear-it-down, play their AHL players and stock draft picks rebuild, whereas we were in denial about needing a rebuild for too long. They didn’t even try to hide their losing, and it paid off. Torts had it right in his comments about the Canucks being too old, even if he was the wrong coach for our team. 

Edited by steviewonder20

53 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

Wouldn’t that be awkward. 1040 gets taken off the air, 650 morning crew pays tribute to their fellow sports journalists, 1040 talent replaces 650 talent. Ouch, that would have to sting!

I don't think that is going to happen in any large degree.

I wonder if a station in the Vancouver market may go to a part-time sports format. 

I'm not sure of my thought process right now.

I want wins...We all do.  But lately I have been feelin like a win only defeats the purpose of change.

Winning will hinder our hopes for change. If we continue to lose, upstairs will see that changes are necessary and will not be ignored in the off season. 

get ready boss GIF by Bounce

• Like 1