The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Ten Good Things So Far from the 2021 Season

Rate this topic

-AJ-

Positive take - definitely 'against the grain' lol.

My constructive feedback would be that they're 10 players, not things.:P

List is probably a bit 'star' heavy - considering the real struggles this season for the most part have been guys like EP, Hughes, Miller - but whatever, stars are who drive a lot of fans' interest.

Juolevi - I'd give him more credit - a 'mixed bag' sounds like he's struggled at times (ie you refer to Hughes the same way) - I don't agree that Juolevi's performance has been mixed - imo he's been very consistent - and surprisingly so given the kind of minutes he's played.

Motte injury aside he's probably had a better relative season than EP.

56 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Yep, also the fact he sucks. CDC has some weird pronger/chara visions for him. He is more Hal gill than any of those two. 

Hal Gill played 17 and a bit seasons in the NHL, if Tryamkin does that I'd be amazed.

• Upvote 3

25 minutes ago, gurn said:

Hal Gill played 17 and a bit seasons in the NHL, if Tryamkin does that I'd be amazed.

I personally don't see Tryamkin amounting to much either, I meant more so in play style. Both big men with not much of a nasty streak. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Silky mitts said:

Yep, also the fact he sucks. CDC has some weird pronger/chara visions for him. He is more Hal gill than any of those two. 

Man, if we could get Hal Gill for $2 million a season on the roster right now... I take that deal in a heartbeat.

The guy was a decent NHLer.  We don’t need Tryamkin to be an elite D for it to be a huge win.  If he comes in and can be a steady 3rd pairing defensive guy who can occasionally lean on opposing players... that would be amazing for the $2 million we would be paying him.

The downside is we get another Benn, the upside is that he turns out to be able to play 18-20 minutes a game and can partner Hughes while 5v5 and Hughes gets his extra 4-5 minutes on the PP.

• Vintage 1

2021 positives for me:

1) Demko is for real.

2) Hoglander is for real.

3) Juolevi looks like he could realistically develop into a 2nd pairing #4 dman....maybe a #3.

4) Brock Boeser looks like he did two years ago.

5) Pettersson looks like a guy that knows how to respond to adversity.    

6) There might be more there with Motte.

7) Rathbone looks good on the farm.

8) Jasek looks good on the farm.  

9) Despite the horrible record, the Canucks have outplayed their opponents in most of the last 11 games or so (give or take 2-3 games).  

10) Gaudette is starting to acclimate to a winged position and is looking much better.    I've been critical of Gaudette in the past but I'm starting to like what I'm seeing from him on the wing.   He's much more suited to the wing.   

-I still think Tryamkin will be back with us next season

-I'm confident that Pettersson and Hughes will get very favourable deals that work in our favour.   I think both these guys want to win a cup and will be willing to 'buy in' with discounts so that we can have more money to bring in stronger players. 

• Upvote 1

#1 Boeser

#2 Hoglander

That's the pleasant surprises for me. Juolevi is only playing because he' a top pick. Tryamkin is a top 2 Dman. Virtanen sucks because he's a top 6 who is expected to earn top six in the bottom 6. It will not happen. Similar to Kassian only moreso.

1 hour ago, Provost said:

Man, if we could get Hal Gill for $2 million a season on the roster right now... I take that deal in a heartbeat.

The guy was a decent NHLer.  We don’t need Tryamkin to be an elite D for it to be a huge win.  If he comes in and can be a steady 3rd pairing defensive guy who can occasionally lean on opposing players... that would be amazing for the $2 million we would be paying him.

The downside is we get another Benn, the upside is that he turns out to be able to play 18-20 minutes a game and can partner Hughes while 5v5 and Hughes gets his extra 4-5 minutes on the PP.

Agreed but seems a vast majority still hold on to hope that Nikita will come in and be a game changer. If we can get a regular NHL'er that is a win. 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, fredricko said:

Juolevi is only playing because he' a top pick. Tryamkin is a top 2 Dman.

disagree"

Juolevi is, sometimes, playing because he is a solid d man, makes a very good pass out the d zone, and is very good at closing gaps while defending the rush.

Tryamkin? Is that guy even a number 2 d man in Russia?

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, fredricko said:

#1 Boeser

#2 Hoglander

That's the pleasant surprises for me. Juolevi is only playing because he' a top pick. Tryamkin is a top 2 Dman. Virtanen sucks because he's a top 6 who is expected to earn top six in the bottom 6. It will not happen. Similar to Kassian only moreso.

Juolevi earned his spot on the team and clearly looked better than Chatfield.   I thought he was looking pretty good and was disappointed to see him taken out of the line-up

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Positives:

Boeser

Hoglander

Demko

---

Hughes and Pettersson haven't been as amazing as we would hope but they haven't been bad overall. I think Schmidt struggled a bit to start (like everyone else) but has settled in nicely for the most part.

--

Virtanen and Gaudette stick out for underperformers, albeit my expectations for either weren't very high. Everyone else pretty much is playing like I would expect, whether good or bad.

6 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

Positives:

Boeser

Hoglander

Demko

---

Hughes and Pettersson haven't been as amazing as we would hope but they haven't been bad overall. I think Schmidt struggled a bit to start (like everyone else) but has settled in nicely for the most part.

--

Virtanen and Gaudette stick out for underperformers, albeit my expectations for either weren't very high. Everyone else pretty much is playing like I would expect, whether good or bad.

Most of the core players(Petey/Hughes/Miller/etc) had a slow start but now are settled in. Still not nearly as dominant as they were last year but they’re trending the right way. 

Bottom 6 started hot but sizzled down offensively. At the same time their D-play(PK included) wasn’t great at the start but has been a lot better now. Not having offence from Gaud/Virtanen is hurting our secondary scoring as of late. 

Demko same deal. Started slow but picked up his game recently. Holtby still trying to find a groove. Both goalies deserve some benefit of the doubt due to how bad we’ve been in front of them(especially early on). 

Despite having a slow start Schmidt is having an above average season analytically, all things considered. Not sure Edler is the right partner for him long-term. He’d benefit from more of a physical stay-at-home guy like he had with McNabb

Improved season offensively for Myers. Skating well with the puck in the offensive zone. It’s not night and day improvements offensively but still. Needs to clean up his game with the penalties. Other than that he’s been his same average self defensively. 

Overall consistency is the biggest issue this year. Only time we’ve strung together back to back wins was that 4 game win streak(3xOttawa/1xWinnipeg) and we followed that up with a 5 game losing streak.

Not many guys have been good. Mostly average or below average. 

2 hours ago, fredricko said:

#1 Boeser

#2 Hoglander

This is laughable. His play this year is very consistent, considering he's a rookie. Can't imagine why you would even make such a comment. I, like many here, are disappointed he's not been given the opportunity to gain experience and build more confidence. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, DarkIndianRises said:

Juolevi earned his spot on the team and clearly looked better than Chatfield.   I thought he was looking pretty good and was disappointed to see him taken out of the line-up

49 minutes ago, BarnBurner said:

This is laughable. His play this year is very consistent, considering he's a rookie. Can't imagine why you would even make such a comment. I, like many here, are disappointed he's not been given the opportunity to gain experience and build more confidence. 

2 hours ago, gurn said:

disagree"

Juolevi is, sometimes, playing because he is a solid d man, makes a very good pass out the d zone, and is very good at closing gaps while defending the rush.

Tryamkin? Is that guy even a number 2 d man in Russia?

Juolevi is a bit better than I thought he would be. I guess I agree with the team decision makers. Jeez I hope Tryamkin plays here so this can be settled.

• Cheers 1

54 minutes ago, fredricko said:

Juolevi is a bit better than I thought he would be. I guess I agree with the team decision makers. Jeez I hope Tryamkin plays here so this can be settled.

I am of the opinion that a Hughes-Tryamkin second pairing would be quite good.   Tryamkin is fine as a #4 guy that can provide a stabilizing physical defensive presence.  In a lot of ways, I think a pairing of Hughes and Tryamkin would be able to cover each others’ deficiencies quite effectively.

If the Canucks can find a way to come up with the following pairings for next season:

xxxx-Schmidt 

Hughes-Tryamkin

Juolevi-Myers

(Rathbone or Juolevi as the 7th dman)

then I think we’ll be in decent shape.  

FWIW - my hope is that the Canucks can make a trade for Hampus Lindholm and then extend him after July 1st.

On 3/4/2021 at 11:12 AM, Silky mitts said:

That's exactly what the reports out of Russia are saying  about Tryamkin - that he is less than stellar.   So I'm not holding my breath - but he certainly deserves a chance to prove himself.  If nothing else he could be used as a sweetener in a trade.

Thanks for the refreshing read against the grain in the boards. 

Agree with most of all your comments. 

If the young talent heats up and gets a little more confidence in their game I think there could be a solid run of games in the coming month. The pair of games against the lead leading TO might just be that spark required. !!  I'm one who Dares to hope against the rest of the gang who wants to live in spite and ruin of everyone who's to be blamed that the season wasn't off to a 25-0-01 even then let's be honest there would be someone at fault for the loss in OT lol. 

Edited by Bertorama