The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Article] Ten Good Things So Far from the 2021 Season

Rate this topic

-AJ-

On 3/3/2021 at 8:52 PM, -AJ- said:

I posted a thread a few weeks ago and motivated based on that, I decided to write a short article trying to spark some positivity in these dark times. Read here on my site if you want: https://hookedonhockeyhistory.wordpress.com/2021/03/03/ten-good-things-so-far-from-the-2021-season/

Or you can read it where I've pasted it below:

Stop that positivity, your going to make people really angry! 

• Haha 1

On 3/4/2021 at 2:49 PM, Silky mitts said:

Agreed but seems a vast majority still hold on to hope that Nikita will come in and be a game changer. If we can get a regular NHL'er that is a win. 

I don’t think Tryamkin will be a game changer but I do see him being a very good #4 that can be a stabilizing defensive presence to one of Hughes or Schmidt (whoever plays on that 2nd pairing in the future).

On 3/4/2021 at 11:10 AM, x00x said:

i disagree, most offensive d man always ahd defensive weakness, id rather he have defensive weakness and keeps putting up the points than him working on his defensive style and producing alot less, sometimes u cant expect both, of coarse if he does work on it and still produce, than cool....but looking at alot of the past defmen, who were amazing with the points had defensive flaws

easy way to fix his defensive flaws at times, is put better defensive d-man with him, simple, id rather not hamper his offensiveness over def,

Like maybe Tryamkin?

On 3/4/2021 at 2:49 PM, Silky mitts said:

Agreed but seems a vast majority still hold on to hope that Nikita will come in and be a game changer. If we can get a regular NHL'er that is a win. 

Well at least he's a free asset,  a former 3rd rounder that won't cost anything.  And probably a 2M show me contract 

On 3/4/2021 at 3:00 PM, gurn said:

disagree"

Juolevi is, sometimes, playing because he is a solid d man, makes a very good pass out the d zone, and is very good at closing gaps while defending the rush.

Tryamkin? Is that guy even a number 2 d man in Russia?

Yes first unit at the beginning of every game. Scored today in their 4th playoff game vs Avangard. Likes to play under pressure.  First unit pp.

Always plays defense first style.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2021 at 6:42 PM, DarkIndianRises said:

I am of the opinion that a Hughes-Tryamkin second pairing would be quite good.   Tryamkin is fine as a #4 guy that can provide a stabilizing physical defensive presence.  In a lot of ways, I think a pairing of Hughes and Tryamkin would be able to cover each others’ deficiencies quite effectively.

If the Canucks can find a way to come up with the following pairings for next season:

xxxx-Schmidt 

Hughes-Tryamkin

Juolevi-Myers

(Rathbone or Juolevi as the 7th dman)

then I think we’ll be in decent shape.  

FWIW - my hope is that the Canucks can make a trade for Hampus Lindholm and then extend him after July 1st.

I'm really liking Hamonic.  I thought he was a dud after his first 10 games, but he has impressed me. Physical. Good passing. I think he'd be good to hang onto at a reasonable price. 

• Cheers 1

On 3/7/2021 at 12:56 PM, RU SERIOUS said:

That's exactly what the reports out of Russia are saying  about Tryamkin - that he is less than stellar.   So I'm not holding my breath - but he certainly deserves a chance to prove himself.  If nothing else he could be used as a sweetener in a trade.

Which reports? Source?

40 minutes ago, DarkIndianRises said:

He’s wrong.    The sources that I’ve looked at all indicate that Tryamkin has take a significant step forward:

https://www.prohockeyrumors.com/2021/01/snapshots-ullmark-tryamkin-thornton.html

QUOTE:

The Vancouver Canucks have a very interesting relationship with Russian defenseman Nikita Tryamkin, who is still playing in the KHL despite a long negotiation last year. The 26-year-old defender is still technically a restricted free agent and can only sign with the Canucks if he chooses to return to the NHL. Now, Rick Dhaliwal of TSN gives an update on the situation and spoke with Yekaterinburg executive Maxim Ryabkov, who expressed how much Tryamkin has improved in the last year, even calling him “one of the best defensemen in the KHL.” The 6’7″ behemoth pairs incredible size with excellent skating ability to shut down rushes and move the puck quickly. If he is not signed this offseason, Tryamkin can actually become an unrestricted free agent after the 2021-22 season.