The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bad Reffing Thread (Including Tim Peel Firing)

Rate this topic

14 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Means nothing.

NHL refs are the top tier hockey officials and get paid handsomely to be "the best".  Not the worst.

I hate this argument.  I don't have to have experience flying a helicopter to see one crash.

Unless you have personally flown a helicopter you cannot judge. For all you know crashing a helicopter is normal. 

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, King Heffy said:

If my brother goes in for a vasectomy and the surgery results in me getting a new sister instead, am I not able to criticize the quality of surgery because I'm not a doctor?

Have you ever actually performed a vasectomy? It’s very technical and it all happens pretty fast. Unless you have ever performed one yourself you just have to accept that it’s a hard job and move on. 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

If my brother goes in for a vasectomy and the surgery results in me getting a new sister instead, am I not able to criticize the quality of surgery because I'm not a doctor?

I would be more concerned if your brother went in for a vasectomy and came out as your new sister. 

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Anyone else think the reffing was better with one referee? I do. Bad enough when one guy misses a call, but when both miss it? Isn't the point of two refs is to catch what the one ref would miss? 

The other thing is, because there are now 4 "officials" on the ice, it gives the players even less room. I'd prefer reverting back to only one game changer. 

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

of course they did!  and if they didn't, I just tossed them.......problem solved!

so you were unable to form a correct estimation of your abilities as an official!

You simply abused your power when questioned.

no wonder you're defending the Colin Campbells!

anyhow - it's all just in jest - (but as an avid sports fan - I don't hesitate to say that in spite of all of them being human/imperfect, the NHL has the worst standard of officiating, consistency - and conduct - of any of the 'major' sports empires).

Correction - Olympic figure skating might give them a run for their money.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 2

Just now, oldnews said:

so you were unable to form a correct estimation of your abilities as an official!

You simply abused your power when questioned.

no wonder you're defending the Colin Campbells!

anyhow - it's all just in jest - (but as an avid sports fan - I don't hesitate to say that in spite of all of them being human/imperfect, the NHL has the worst standard of officiating, consistency - and conduct - of any of the 'major' sports empires).

I'm no fan of officials and obviously no official is perfect, but the amount of whining on this board is unreal.  Officiating hockey isn't like other sports, it is, hands down, the hardest sport to officiate and to have no understanding of that and whine incessantly is ridiculous.........not you, but many on this board

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm no fan of officials and obviously no official is perfect, but the amount of whining on this board is unreal.  Officiating hockey isn't like other sports, it is, hands down, the hardest sport to officiate and to have no understanding of that and whine incessantly is ridiculous.........not you, but many on this board

NFL is worlds harder with milliseconds and millimeters being the difference between a win and a loss.

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

From my perspective I think it would be harder to officiate football - than hockey.  So many players on the field, so many players compacted into small spaces, and such a large field with so many off-the-ball infractions....

But regardless of that - yes, all fans of every team complain about officiating - however I think the NHL earns the title of, by far, the most room for improvement and professionalism.  I don't recall, for example, 'game management' being common currency in any other sport - whereas in the NHL it's a catchphrase/umbrella under which all kinds of inconsistencies are rationalized.

1 hour ago, stawns said:

So how do you justify how the ref just let Frederic commit two penalties?