The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bad Reffing Thread (Including Tim Peel Firing)

Rate this topic

Big punishment for something that every ref does just about every game. When you hear the recording there's no surprise in his decision either.

To be honest I don't mind retaliatory penalties or not, as long as it's the same rule across the board across the different refs and that's the problem. Some refs do and some don't and you know the coaches and players should be aware of this, but it's hard to remember in the middle of the game.

For example if we've had 5 penalties in the first 40 minutes of a game and are leading 4-3 in the 3rd period, you bloody well know that some refs will call you up on anything so they're looking to give out a game-tying PP so you play more carefully, whereas others may just play it how they see it in which case we could play more physically and aggressively.

It makes a big difference to how teams play, and in all fairness it doesn't matter if they do it or not, it's just that everyone has to be consistent because these are silly tiny calls that get made that change games when players don't have time to think "Hmm is he a ref that calls retaliatory penalties or not" when they go in for a puck battle along the boards and accidentally put their arm slightly around the other team's player's shoulders.

Big statement by the NHL (even though Peel was retiring soon) says that they either don't want any retaliatory penalties or they just want the public to think that they care when in actual fact it makes almost no difference to Tim Peel.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, CanucksJay said:

Where's Ron Mclean? 

How are you going to defend this Ron? 

Pretty much did a character assassination of Burrows for. Telling the truth and what we all knew happened in this league. 

Ron knows himself that refs control a game in an extra curricular way. .  He will never admit to it,  the referees are as much a “boys club” as anything else in the world that wears a badge or wears its colours.

The abuse the Sedins took over the years that was never called as simple as “unsportsmanlike” is still beyond belief .

More retaliatory penalties are called because a ref dosent call instigating infraction which is usually always an unsportsmanlike call in the very least.

Too many referees with egocentric issues looking for respect, rather than earning it with the right call first and gaining the respect of players who know they can play safely, without the b.s. the referees create in a dangerous game.

Careers have ended over bad calls and the oversight the NHL has had in on ice situations,  the Bertuzzi incident comes to mind,. Could easily been handled right after Moore’s illegal hit on Naslund..

Instead, the league leaves a fuse lit,  and they knew it. . . That in itself was aiding to that outcome.

Had Moore been given a suspension, and not allowed to play in the next game against  the Vanucks ..  that outcome, and how far the Canucks went into the playoffs would have been entirely different.

Doing the right thing makes a difference, the right one.

Edited by SilentSam
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

I think this firing does send a message - don't say stupid $&!# that gets the NHL negative press. I doubt anything will change, except scare the refs not to say anything. The ref's mandate is not to call too many penalties that would affect the entertainment of the game, but we've seen a disproportionate amount of penalties going against a team too. I don't know why interference wasn't called during the OT of the Montreal vs Vancouver game. I still don't get it.

• Cheers 3

It’s not really a big punishment as Peel was due to retire at the end of the season so it shortens his tenure by about 6weeks - it’s a symbolic taken action and they will use him as a scapegoat rather than dealing with the actual issue which is their game management policy 

• Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

It’s not really a big punishment as Peel was due to retire at the end of the season so it shortens his tenure by about 6weeks - it’s a symbolic taken action and they will use him as a scapegoat rather than dealing with the actual issue which is their game management policy 

How does this affect  his pension?    If been fired affects his pension then it’s a big punishment.    

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Wonder how many power plays is Greener expecting to get from his “best refs in the world” comment?

Hope it pays off.

Outright lie considering the guys working the WJHC acted more like professional than the criminals working for the NHL.  Would love to have a coach willing to take the fine and call out problem officials when they disgrace the sport by rigging a game involving us.  We'd likely have seen Meier sent down to the US and replaced with someone willing to call the game honestly.

• Cheers 1

Really... The make up calls don't bother me as much... I realize it's an extremely difficult sport (even more so now with the speed).  However... When the refs decide to change how they ref in game.  To much influence... It's just leaves players coaches, management and fans with a sense of confusion, frustration and resentment.  The reffing regulatory framework has needed a overhaul for a long time.  They can do better if they're open to change.  The players are changing in so many ways.... so should the system they play within.

Edited by Hogs & Podz

As far as the whole Tim Peel thing goes, he just got caught saying out loud what is basically the unwritten policy and standard practice for all refs.

They manage games, and when they decide they need a penalty against one of the teams playing, they find a penalty, regardless of the infraction, or what’s been the standard of the calls up to that point.

The NHL would like to present this as an isolated incident, and that they’re solving the problem by firing Peel. But every game sees refs making “even up” calls, when one team has been whistled more often, or looking to find a penalty against a team or player who “got away with something” because the refs missed something obvious earlier in the game. 

It’s also pretty telling in that audio that the other official you can hear in the clip reacts to what Peel said by voicing his own agreement.

I mean, you listen to play by play, and when one team has had the bulk of the power play time, or gotten away with missed calls, the commentators always say that team needs to be careful, because the refs will be trying to “even things up” in the next period and will be “looking to call anything.” 

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
Autocorrect
  • Cheers 1