Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Flames fire Geoff Ward, name Darryl Sutter as head coach

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, KelownaCanucksFan said:

They’re going to love Sutter he forces the forwards to help out a lot on defence, that’s why he was so successful with the kings 

They’re going to love him right up until they lock him out of the locker room.

  • Hydration 1
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Sutter is a perfect fit for the Flames.

 

They will form a defensive system that will stifle offense, but they have too find a way to counter the Oilers and Leafs. Need to grind out some Ws from those 2 teams to get into the playoffs.

 

With Markstrom and a solid D core, they are much scarier now with a likely renewed focus on D.

  • Hydration 1
  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, BabychStache said:

Sutter is a perfect fit for the Flames.

 

They will form a defensive system that will stifle offense, but they have too find a way to counter the Oilers and Leafs. Need to grind out some Ws from those 2 teams to get into the playoffs.

 

With Markstrom and a solid D core, they are much scarier now with a likely renewed focus on D.

Obviously something isn’t working in Calgary. Two coaches in short order. A no nonsense guy like Sutter comes in. Can Monaghan and Johnny Hockey adjust to fit? Something missing in the intangibles. Marty and Taney add a lot to team character but is it enough? Marky gets hurt and Calgary will spin into the ground. Sutter just as likely to blow things up as to winning the team over. Johnny Hockey will be gone IMHO.

  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Boudrias said:

Obviously something isn’t working in Calgary. Two coaches in short order. A no nonsense guy like Sutter comes in. Can Monaghan and Johnny Hockey adjust to fit? Something missing in the intangibles. Marty and Taney add a lot to team character but is it enough? Marky gets hurt and Calgary will spin into the ground. Sutter just as likely to blow things up as to winning the team over. Johnny Hockey will be gone IMHO.

Monahan plays like he doesn't want to mess up his hair, and Tkachuk isn't a real leader. I think I'd start there for Calgarys culture problems. 

  • Hydration 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Monahan plays like he doesn't want to mess up his hair, and Tkachuk isn't a real leader. I think I'd start there for Calgarys culture problems. 

Benning knew...

  • Hydration 2
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, PistolPete13 said:

The new coach effect lasted for one period last night. Then it was back to business as usual for the Phlegms. :)

Well to be fair, it does take Darryl more than 1 period to get a sentence out 

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2021 at 7:35 AM, BabychStache said:

Sutter is a perfect fit for the Flames.

 

They will form a defensive system that will stifle offense, but they have too find a way to counter the Oilers and Leafs. Need to grind out some Ws from those 2 teams to get into the playoffs.

 

With Markstrom and a solid D core, they are much scarier now with a likely renewed focus on D.

Can't get blood from a stone.  The Flamers' top 6 is absolutely gutless, and no coach is going to teach Gaudreau and Monahan to stop playing scared and actually try to backcheck Scotty Bowman wouldn't be able to get that joke of a team to play like they belonged in the NHL. 

 

  

9 hours ago, playboi19 said:

Benning knew...


Anyone who bothered to interview that waste of oxygen would have realized he's a locker room cancer on any respectable team.  Winners don't respect gutless cowards who cheap shot opponents and turtle when it's time to pay the piper.  His lack of respect for the sport make the ice a more dangerous place for the rest of their pillowy soft top 6 such as Johnny the midget.  Benning did the right thing and drafted a player who has actually grown up to be a real man instead of the laughing stock of the league.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/5/2021 at 9:38 AM, Convincing John said:

Johnny fell in so deep that they actually flew his mother in to stay with him and clean him up. 

Cow-tipping is serious business B)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Even though he said he won't change much, just watch the forwards play much more defence. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top - strong defence and goaltending in the Flames system against free-wheeling Oilers and Leafs forwards.

 

I know defence usually wins championships and has been the case for a while, but this is a new NHL where 3-0 leads mean nothing and offence is rewarded by the rulebook so will be interesting to see how Sutter's old defensive tactics shape up. 

 

Obviously this bodes well for guys like Giordano, Hanifin, Tanev and Marky. Their forwards aren't the best defensive forwards in the league but Sutter will whip them into shape and have them dumping and chasing more than anyone else. Looking like there'll be a lot more 2-1 and 3-2 games and to be honest, that will suit Markstrom perfectly.

 

Hate to say it but smart move by the Flames when it seemed quite stupid at first, but whether offences will be able to break-through or not, we'll see. The thing is with the modern NHL is that everyone can skate better and there are more PPs now than before which can bust a Sutter game wide open.

  • Thanks 1
  • Hydration 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2021 at 1:21 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

Even though he said he won't change much, just watch the forwards play much more defence. It'll be interesting to see who comes out on top - strong defence and goaltending in the Flames system against free-wheeling Oilers and Leafs forwards.

 

I know defence usually wins championships and has been the case for a while, but this is a new NHL where 3-0 leads mean nothing and offence is rewarded by the rulebook so will be interesting to see how Sutter's old defensive tactics shape up. 

 

Obviously this bodes well for guys like Giordano, Hanifin, Tanev and Marky. Their forwards aren't the best defensive forwards in the league but Sutter will whip them into shape and have them dumping and chasing more than anyone else. Looking like there'll be a lot more 2-1 and 3-2 games and to be honest, that will suit Markstrom perfectly.

 

Hate to say it but smart move by the Flames when it seemed quite stupid at first, but whether offences will be able to break-through or not, we'll see. The thing is with the modern NHL is that everyone can skate better and there are more PPs now than before which can bust a Sutter game wide open.

I feel their system will beat leafs and oilers very easily because of how weak the oilers and leafs goaliea are while shutting down their main offensive weapons. Calgary has the D and goalie to play stifling defense. Also 3-0 leads are not safe for defensively inept teams like Canucks unless Demko imitates a brick wall.

  • Vintage 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...